I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 12:37 pm HIBI WROTE:
I've seen the PBS Mystery version and it's different than the movie version. I'm not sure which one is closer to the book. The PBS version has 2 other characters: a gay thief and his mom, that weren't in the film version. The ending is a bit different too. The Maggie Smith character leaves with some guy (I forget who it was now, it wasn't the radical) and doesn't stay with Mrs. Schulyer, who is a bit different than in the film. Angela's daughter doesn't take up with the radical either, IIRC.

I'VE SEEN IT and it's really good, although ELLIOT GOULD SUCKS in it, I enjoyed the various liberties they took with MISS OTTERBOURNE and THE RADICAL/LORD DALISH and DR BESSNER (who was actually kinda cute if i recall)

it does hue A LOT closer to the novel though.

they make BRILLIANT USE of an old RAY NOBLE SONG called LOVE IS THE SWEETEST THING
at the start and finish of the story.
Yeah, I looked up the novel today and the PBS version seems closer to it than the 70s film version. The mom and thief son are in the novel as well as several other characters cut from the film version. The Maggie Smith character is a lot younger in the PBS version. I can't remember who she runs off with. The relationship is also different with Mrs. Schuyler. I haven't seen the 2022 version. In it they are lesbian lovers! LMREO.

I don't remember Elliot Gould being in it. What character did he play? I remember him in another PBS Poirot Mystery though.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

OOPS!!

I'm an IDIOT.
It's DAVID SOUL- he plays the GEORGE KENNEDY role- not ELLIOT GOULD.

I'm getting old, children....
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I REMEMBER ELLIOT GOULD being terrible in another POIROT EPISODE.
I think DAVID SOUL is also terrible though.
So I guess I crossed the two in my mind
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:20 pm OOPS!!

I'm an IDIOT.
It's DAVID SOUL- he plays the GEORGE KENNEDY role- not ELLIOT GOULD.

I'm getting old, children....
We all are! That's ok. He was in another one.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:21 pm I REMEMBER ELLIOT GOULD being terrible in another POIROT EPISODE.
I think DAVID SOUL is also terrible though.
So I guess I crossed the two in my mind
LOL. He looked terrible too! The PBS versions suffer from being shorter running times. They run around 90 minutes so continuity is sometimes a problem. And the dialogue with the accents is sometimes hard to understand. But overall they do a good job with what they have to work with.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I may very well make some people angry by saying this, but I’m not 100% sold on David Suchet being that good an actor.

But a lot of people love him, and physically he does resemble the character the most
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I recall that in the PBS version of Nile, the Lois Chiles first victim part was played by a then-unknown Emily Blunt, two years before she made a name for herself in The Devil Wears Prada, and that the Bette Davis role was played by Judy Parfitt, who was very memorable in Dolores Claiborne.
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:53 pm I may very well make some people angry by saying this, but I’m not 100% sold on David Suchet being that good an actor.

But a lot of people love him, and physically he does resemble the character the most
I rather like him in the part, but it is true that otherwise he hasn't been seen in much that amounts to anything.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:58 pm
Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:53 pm I may very well make some people angry by saying this, but I’m not 100% sold on David Suchet being that good an actor.

I rather like him in the part, but it is true that otherwise he hasn't been seen in much that amounts to anything.
I know I've been NEGATIVE NANCY lately, but he was in the PBS MASTERPIECE THEATER version of DRACULA that I mentioned a few posts back and he was so bad as VAN HELSING, it's hard for me to forget it.

(unless again I'm getting someone confused with DAVID SOUL...)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:55 pm I recall that in the PBS version of Nile, the Lois Chiles first victim part was played by a then-unknown Emily Blunt, two years before she made a name for herself in The Devil Wears Prada, and that the Bette Davis role was played by Judy Parfitt, who was very memorable in Dolores Claiborne.
AND WHAT SURPRISED ME was that JUDY PARFITT was kinda weak and humorless in the part, downright disappoining, which was surprising because she is SUPERB in DOLORES CLAIBORNE.

the actress playing MRS OTTERBOURNE also downplayed her part to a downright sedate degree, but her LOOK and IMPOSING DEMEANOR (she was played by the actress who played MRS HAGRID I think) make it work
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:55 pm I recall that in the PBS version of Nile, the Lois Chiles first victim part was played by a then-unknown Emily Blunt, two years before she made a name for herself in The Devil Wears Prada, and that the Bette Davis role was played by Judy Parfitt, who was very memorable in Dolores Claiborne.
Yes, I didn't recognize her in the role (Chiles).
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:49 am CNN's How It Really Happened: Oscar Pistorious

"My lady, it was an accident"

Sure.
Right.
Four "accidental" gunshots . . .
CinemaInternational

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:49 am CNN's How It Really Happened: Oscar Pistorious

"My lady, it was an accident"

Sure.
Right.
Four "accidental" gunshots . . .
It could be even more outrageous. It could have been like that notorious 1980 murder case involving the Lizzie Borden of the 20th century who gave another woman 40 whacks with an axe.... and was then acquitted on self-defense. The case was so shocking that they've filmed it three times: a fictionalized version with Barbara Hershey that was in a TV movie in 1990 (a graphic one at that; it holds an R rating despite being first aired on CBS), and two recent online miniseries, one on hulu, the other on HBO Max.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

My post seems to have disappeared. I don't think I could watch another Poirot episode again. I've seen them all multiple times. This current run has been on for about 4 years now. ENOUGH ALREADY! Where does PBS pledge money go? Not to Mystery!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:14 pm
AND WHAT SURPRISED ME was that JUDY PARFITT was kinda weak and humorless in the part, downright disappoining, which was surprising because she is SUPERB in DOLORES CLAIBORNE.

the actress playing MRS OTTERBOURNE also downplayed her part to a downright sedate degree, but her LOOK and IMPOSING DEMEANOR (she was played by the actress who played MRS HAGRID I think) make it work
Yeah, both paled compared to the actresses in the 70s movie version.