WHAT HAPPENED TO 40 GUNS???

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: WHAT HAPPENED TO 40 GUNS???

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Agree, LostHorizons. "Hit your lights!" Ugh.

They seem so besotted by it all. "Look how much fun we're having as the guardians of classic film!" It comes across in equal amounts adolescent, crass, pretentious, embarrassing, gauche, hyper-corporate, and just plain stupid.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LostHorizons wrote: May 21st, 2024, 10:48 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 21st, 2024, 6:48 pm Just saw a new promo for Noir Alley (as if they didn't have enough of them) -- with Eddie Muller wearing some kind of 1940's camel hair coat, walking the streets of Frisco looking "tough". So silly and frankly tiresome already imo. Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but don't all these self-indulgent host segments add up, cost-wise? TCM seems to care more about them than the viewers. How ironic.
Considering it is only two hours every week, the amount of advertising done for that specific segment is insane. I also dislike the new Rebel Without a Cause ad where they drag race golf carts. An ad where they simply talk about upcoming movies would suffice.
I'd bet some mid-level executive issued an edict that they had to shill for the broader corporate family. Note the presence of max ads on TCM now.

At least with this one they're on the WB lot, so there's a connection to the studio era, somewhat. It could be worse. They could be hawking for some horrible "reality" show on one of the interchangeable Discovery networks.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: May 21st, 2024, 7:11 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 21st, 2024, 6:48 pm Just saw a new promo for Noir Alley (as if they didn't have enough of them) -- with Eddie Muller wearing some kind of 1940's camel hair coat, walking the streets of Frisco looking "tough". So silly and frankly tiresome already imo. Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but don't all these self-indulgent host segments add up, cost-wise? TCM seems to care more about them than the viewers. How ironic.
It's the celebrity culture. You gotta have dem celibitaires.
Like I'd tune in because Dave Karger is hosting the segment? I'd be ok with no presentations at all. Rarely do they tell me anything I don't already know. I've come to the point I can't stand the Mank anymore. The others I can take or leave, they don't bother me as much. No one could ever replace RO. :(
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: May 21st, 2024, 1:59 pm The same thing happened with Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - after the failed broadcast it was later posted to WatchTCM along with the introduction and wrap-up.

I would imagine that TCM has to prepare the video for streaming and it may be a separate production path. It is possible that this path worked properly (possibly because someone had to pay attention to it), but the source of the video used for broadcast had an issue that they were not aware of.

It is too much of a coincidence that in both failures (Plaid and Forty Guns) the problem happened at the exact beginning of the film. A random transmission failure could take place at any point in the film.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with a rights issue, but they would have to make new arrangements to show the film at another date.
If 40 Guns is every rebroadcast will it be worth all the delay??? (Something tells me it won't. LOL) I've never seen it, but it doesn't sound very noteworthy).
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 10:46 am
Like I'd tune in because Dave Karger is hosting the segment? I'd be ok with no presentations at all. Rarely do they tell me anything I don't already know. I've come to the point I can't stand the Mank anymore. The others I can take or leave, they don't bother me as much. No one could ever replace RO. :(
I might agree with you but celebrities in this context seem to be important. I won't go so far as to say that I already know what they say but I do know that they give away too much of the movie. I think a station like TCM would be frightened if they didn't have what think are sterling personalities to give it the personal touch. I have a DVR and thankfully I can fast forward through them which I do without fail. And yes, totally agree, RO was the best of them all and by a long shot.
The Shining Hour (1938)
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I've seen 40 Guns a few times. Its shown on other stations every now and again for years. It's an intetesting film. The opening is great and watching Barbara Stanwyck do her own stunts, especially when she's dragged 100 feet by her horse help make the film worth watching.Seeing Stanwyck dressed in black on that white stallion is striking. I like this oddball western, recommend seeing it at least once.
Last edited by KayFrancis on May 22nd, 2024, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 10:58 am

I might agree with you but celebrities in this context seem to be important. I won't go so far as to say that I already know what they say but I do know that they give away too much of the movie. I think a station like TCM would be frightened if they didn't have what think are sterling personalities to give it the personal touch. I have a DVR and thankfully I can fast forward through them which I do without fail. And yes, totally agree, RO was the best of them all and by a long shot.
Yes, the human touch! LOL. But do we care that they like each other and how great it is to work at TCM?? I agree they sometimes reveal too much about the film in the intros. I resent even small details of the plot being divulged. Let me discover this when I watch it! I usually FF or mute intros of films I haven't seen (doesn't happen that often).

Ever since RO died Mank's ego has ballooned. If it weren't for his name, he wouldn't have got the job in the first place.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 11:15 am

Yes, the human touch! LOL. But do we care that they like each other and how great it is to work at TCM?? I agree they sometimes reveal too much about the film in the intros. I resent even small details of the plot being divulged. Let me discover this when I watch it! I usually FF or mute intros of films I haven't seen (doesn't happen that often).

Ever since RO died Mank's ego has ballooned. If it weren't for his name, he wouldn't have got the job in the first place.
You may not, and I may not, but there are those who do care. These videos are catering to the hosts' fans. And believe me, they do have them. Just go to a TCM festival or cruise, and you'll see them.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

KayFrancis wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 11:06 am .Seeing Stanwyck dressed in black on that white stallion is striking.

She looked fantastic and sexy,she was 50 then and had a great figure. I have seen all of her films,and there is few movies where she looked as great The Lady Eve is the top one for me for her looks.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

[

[/quote]

I agree with you Bronx Girl and Hibi they can find a better host witha better background,they are all bad,I can't stand Mank anymore,I was tolerating him but now it's over. Eddie will comply on everything ,he needs TCM.RO was excellent because he was doing also some research and tried to not repeat the same things on subsequents showings of the same film,not really an historian but a self made one
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 11:32 am
Hibi wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 11:15 am

You may not, and I may not, but there are those who do care. These videos are catering to the hosts' fans. And believe me, they do have them. Just go to a TCM festival or cruise, and you'll see them.
SAD!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 12:32 pm [

I agree with you Bronx Girl and Hibi they can find a better host witha better background,they are all bad,I can't stand Mank anymore,I was tolerating him but now it's over. Eddie will comply on everything ,he needs TCM.RO was excellent because he was doing also some research and tried to not repeat the same things on subsequents showings of the same film,not really an historian but a self made one
[/quote]

I didn't mean to include Eddie in my host rant. I don't really consider him a host in the general sense, as he usually stays in his Noir Alley lane and he DOES provide lots of interesting info I don't know about for a lot of these lesser known noirs. I know. I didn't used to mind Mank when RO was around, but now that's he's head honcho (getting all the RO type gigs), I can barely stand him!.

Also, RO personally knew many of these older stars and would include stories about them in his intro/outros.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

One difference I notice between Robert Osbourne and Ben M. is that Osbourne clearly loved the golden age of Hollywood and its stars, whereas Ben favors the 70s and beyond and doesn't seem quite as warm to eras before that point. Just an observation at any rate. Eddie, Jacqueline, and Alicia all seem more at home with the earlier films.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

This sort of banter was never allowed on the TCM Forum.
I know there are people who like the TCM hosts.
I can do without them.
AI just might change everything.
I like the lady's voice at the end of this spot:
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 2:59 pm This sort of banter was never allowed on the TCM Forum.
I know there are people who like the TCM hosts.
I can do without them.
AI just might change everything.
I like the lady's voice at the end of this spot:
But could AI go on cruises???