The Quiet Man

Discussion of programming on TCM.
traceyk

The Quiet Man

Post by traceyk »

Wow. I finally watched this movie the other morning and was pleasantly surprised. I usually avoid John Wayne movies, but this was one of those movies everyone tells you to watch (Like Random Harvest, which I still have managed to avoid).
Beautiful scenery--looked just like Ireland should look (but probably doesn't). A little over the top with the "Oirishness", but the supporting characters, especially were delightful (Barry Fitzgerald's quintessential thirsty Irishman, Victor Mclaglin's pugnacious, self-important squire, Mildred Natwick's independent widow, the bishop betting on the fight) The courting scenes are hilarious. Of course there was the obligatory fight of the century that seemed to be a feature of a lot of John Wayne's films int he 40's, but it was handled in a funny way--the two main participants stop at a pub half-way through for a pint (my kind of men).

The only thing I didn't like was everyone looking down on Wayne's character because he won't fight and he's too stoic to tell them. I realize that this was the forties and a fist fight was a perfectly acceptable way to settle things, but geez, did he really have to drag Mareen O'Hara half way across the county? Though the fact that the entire town was following and cheering him on was rather hilarious.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, do. John Ford was originally Irish, and he loves the country and it shows.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love The Quiet Man , like you, I avoided John Wayne films. It's one of those film that you have to watch from beginning to end just to get the full build up for the fight.

We spent time in Cong where it was filmed last year, the stroies still abound about John Wayne. They're nuts on him there, he left a lasting impression.

I've even learned to like some John Wayne movies like Red River and Stagecoach. I'm considering trying The Searchers next.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Welcome to the club Tracey. A film to love whether you have any Irish or not. I think there is a lot to being a man in this setting and refusing to fight for what is yours is not meeting that standard. The conflict is made greater because of Wayne's refusal to tell why he won't fight. The whole way the "fight" is a breath away.

O'Hara is great here. Her character being as strong as she is carries a great deal of weight when dealing with Wayne. She couldn't be the blushing beauty here. It would have lost it's kick.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, please do watch The Searchers. John Wayne's Ethan is a dark, complex man with demons. There was quite a discussion about the film and his character about a year ago.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/view ... =searchers

I think you will like it.

Nancy

(sorry, I don't know how to shorten the link, I missed class the day Moira taught us how to do that :oops: :oops: :oops: )
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks Nancy, I will watch The Searchers. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I used to avoid John Wayne movies but I realise he's made soon good movies that I should see.

I'll watch it and report back :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I've liked a lot of these maybe "for always" but in the last 10 years (and perhaps 20 watchings or more), it's the supporting cast to QUIET MAN, RIO GRANDE and ANGEL & THE BADMAN that I enjoy so much.

Victor McLaglen, Ward Bond, Barry Fitzgerald, Maureen O'Hara, Arthur Shields, Mildred Natwick...

I've sort of convinced that I can see any of those in any film and I'll find good reasons to enjoy it. There is a chemistry, a sort of wink-wink nudge-nudge among those cast-members that seems to 'make me' like them.

And I don't think "good" or "bad" has much to do with it. QUIET MAN has so many technical flaws - speeded-up footage, occasional poor-response times in dialog. But I don't care - it's just "fun". I think I could start a new genre called NIETZSCHE because those are films "beyond good and bad (well, not evil)" but just 'fun'.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mildred Natwick was, without a doubt, nothing less than superb in the just-too-darn-brief role of Mem Trehan in The Quiet Man . .
And yet ..
I honestly feel that she turned in the finest performance of her career in Ford's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.
A fairly close race between the two, admittedly, but ultimately, the superior's never really in question.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Oh yes. But she's one of those faces that compels me to enjoy at least HER part in any film. I just keep seeing her storm into the tavern, rip McLaglen up and down, march him down the stairs and into the stockhouse.

Just like she dressed him down in THE QUIET MAN for talking about her "in front of all those open mouths" at the pub.

She used this character over and over, and each time, it was magnificent to see her rise up over everyone else on-screen, and totally dominate.

In QUIET MAN, there's a brief scene where she's walking past Maureen O'Hara before the horserace, and tsk-tsk's O'Hara's "not putting up her bonnet". Just a single line, just a single snide look of faux disappointment, and suddenly, O'Hara's back to her Bull In A China-Shop character again.

And that's all because of Mildred Natwick.

I wonder how many scripts she used, "Shame on you!" to McLaglen?

Every one of them? Maybe...

And yet, when she goes Sweet and kisses the retiring John Wayne, wow. His hand in her face, just an incredibly sweet gesture.
klondike

Post by klondike »

HAH!
'Tis right ya are, Ollie!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Natwick & McLaglen were just made to strike sparks off one another!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I suppose neither of you have seen the ultimate "chick flick", Enchanted Cottage??? Ms. Natwick plays the secretive housekeeper, and again, tho her part is rather small, she shines in every scene.

And what about her "Mother" to J. Fonda (ick) in Barefoot in the Park? Dolled up, dressed up, and the best lines in the movie:After climbing 5 flights of stairs to the apartment, Ethel says"I had to park the car three blocks away. Then it started to rain so I ran the last two blocks. Then my heel got caught in a subway grating. When I pulled my foot out, I stepped in a puddle. Then a cab went by and splashed my stockings. If the hardware store downstairs was open, I was going to buy a knife and kill myself."
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:
And what about her "Mother" to J. Fonda (ick) in Barefoot in the Park? Dolled up, dressed up, and the best lines in the movie:After climbing 5 flights of stairs to the apartment, Ethel says"I had to park the car three blocks away. Then it started to rain so I ran the last two blocks. Then my heel got caught in a subway grating. When I pulled my foot out, I stepped in a puddle. Then a cab went by and splashed my stockings. If the hardware store downstairs was open, I was going to buy a knife and kill myself."
That reminds me strongly of Thelma Ritter's role in The Mating Season! No-one who's a confirmed & dedicated Thelma fan can afford to overlook her performance therein; roles as meaty as that one were rare for her!
Thanks for the heads-up r.e. Enchanted Cottage, & Barefoot in the Park; I'll be on the lookout!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Natwick's first movie role was in John Ford's THE LONG VOYAGE HOME, playing a tavern girl who lures unwary sailors into being illegally conscripted. Her ability to make a part like that sympathetic---because she clearly is forced to take this loathesome job---by her reaction to John Wayne's innocence at what is about to happen to him, shows she was bound to "strike sparks" on the screen in a long career.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

What The Quiet Man needs most is full fledged restoration. This movie is too beautiful, and too incredibly popular, for its print quality to be neglected as it has been. Until then, the special anniversary edition dvd witht he commentary by Maureen O'Hara is priceless for any fan of her or the movie.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Mildred Natwick and Thelma Ritter... hmmm... how odd. I don't think I'd ever considered those two, but they represent nearly identical levels of enjoyment for frequently similar characters. They can both be compelling characters on-screen, dominating their scenes and any McLaglen-esque ear they've twisted!

MissG, do you get to see QUIET MAN at local theaters? We see it here 2-3 times a year at different festivals, and the prints SEEM to be in great shape. Of course "big screen" and "enthusiastic audiences" may override flaws or faded colors.
inglis

quiet man

Post by inglis »

I love this film !
Its a timeless classic, and all the best are in it .I just got it on DVD for my 50th this year .My favorite scene is where Maureen is cleaning up his cottage for him and its a blustery night .I will skip ahead abit as there is more before this actual scene ,he just grabs her and she flings herself back and then falls back to him and there is a great kiss. I never tire of this film .Its one of Fords best with Wayne and O'Hara and the rest of the boys.