Rest in Peace, Mickey. No one has entertained so many people for so long. :cry:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Western Guy

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by Western Guy »

What a shock to wake up to. I'm still in chills.

God Bless You, My Friend.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Mickey Rooney - I loved him and I was so stunned to see his passing at the age of 93.

A great all-around actor and entertainer ... One of the most lovable, charming, and delightful actor that graced the Silver Screen ... I loved him in National Velvet with the young Liz Taylor ...

Taylor and Rooney in National Velvet.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Above:
Mickey Rooney (1920-2014). He was always ready for his closeup.
Requiescat in pace. He earned it.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I was fortunate to see him and Ann Miller in Sugar Babies, when it was on tour in Kansas City. What a dynamo. He bounced around the stage so much, Ann couldn't keep up. She just collapsed in laughter, and this was after being onstage with him for months on end. I remember one skit, where he was a judge and she was the sexy lady in Black. He all but fell off the judges chair, and the wisecracks were outrageous. The audience was laughing so hard, they had to pause the action.
I only wish I could remember more!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:I was fortunate to see him and Ann Miller in Sugar Babies, when it was on tour in Kansas City. What a dynamo. He bounced around the stage so much, Ann couldn't keep up. She just collapsed in laughter, and this was after being onstage with him for months on end. I remember one skit, where he was a judge and she was the sexy lady in Black. He all but fell off the judges chair, and the wisecracks were outrageous. The audience was laughing so hard, they had to pause the action.
You are so lucky to have seen two legends on stage, Nancy!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
knitwit45 wrote:I was fortunate to see him and Ann Miller in Sugar Babies, when it was on tour in Kansas City. What a dynamo. He bounced around the stage so much, Ann couldn't keep up. She just collapsed in laughter, and this was after being onstage with him for months on end. I remember one skit, where he was a judge and she was the sexy lady in Black. He all but fell off the judges chair, and the wisecracks were outrageous. The audience was laughing so hard, they had to pause the action.
You are so lucky to have seen two legends on stage, Nancy!
Thanks for sharing this Nancy and I agree with you Moira that seeing both Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney would had been a joy of those attended and Nancy had a very wonderful and pleasant experience of laughter and happiness that he brought to the world. One of kind entertainer ... bar none!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thinking back on this, another memory came back. Ms. Miller did a tap routine that had us on our feet, cheering for her, and Mickey was the head cheerleader! He started out with her, but finally had to quit, exhausted. This was, I believe, either mid or late eighties, so he would have been in his sixties? Wish I'd kept the program , but it was lost in one of my many moves. :cry:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Here's the TCM Remembers Mickey Rooney:

[youtube][/youtube]

Very moving tribute to one of the best of the Golden Age.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

A life well lived. RIP
Nick

Post by Nick »

And the bad news don't stop at Rooney...Mary Anderson from GWTW has died aged 96.
Mary Anderson dies at 96; actress had role in 'Gone With the Wind'
Mary Anderson, who auditioned for the role of Scarlett O'Hara, played Maybelle Merriwether in 'Gone With the Wind.' She was one of the film's last surviving cast members.

By Claire Noland

April 7, 2014, 10:00 a.m.

Mary Anderson, a redheaded actress who auditioned for the part of Scarlett O'Hara in the 1939 epic "Gone with the Wind" but wound up playing a supporting role as Maybelle Merriwether, died Sunday. She was 96.

A longtime resident of Brentwood, Anderson died while receiving hospice care in Burbank. She had been in declining health and had suffered a series of small strokes, said her longtime friend Betty Landess.

Anderson was one of the last surviving cast members of the film adaptation of Margaret Mitchell's Civil War novel. Of those listed in the film's credits, remaining are Olivia de Havilland, who was nominated for an Academy Award as the resilient Melanie Wilkes, and Mickey Kuhn, a former child actor who portrayed Melanie and Ashley's son Beau Wilkes. Alicia Rhett who played Ashley Wilkes' sister India, died in January at 98.

Sometimes called Bebe, Anderson was born in Birmingham, Ala., on April 3, 1918, although she often reported her birth year as 1920. While attending Howard College (now Samford University), she was discovered by director George Cukor, who was searching for an actress to play the leading role of Scarlett O'Hara. After firing Cukor, producer David O. Selznick eventually chose Vivien Leigh, who won the best actress Oscar that year, but cast Anderson in the minor role.

She went on to appear in films in the 1940s and '50s, including "Cheers for Miss Bishop," "The Song of Bernadette" and Alfred Hitchcock's "Lifeboat."

She also acted on stage, including the 1942 Broadway production of "Guest in the House," and on television, with a recurring role on "Peyton Place" in 1964.

Anderson received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960.

Her brother, James, became an actor who specialized in westerns. He died in 1969.

Anderson's first marriage to writer Leonard Behrens ended in divorce. In 1953, she married cinematographer Leon Shamroy, who won four Academy Awards for "The Black Swan" (1942), "Wilson" (1944), "Leave Her to Heaven" (1945) and "Cleopatra" (1963) and received 14 other Oscar nominations.

Shamroy died in 1974, and Anderson leaves no immediate survivors.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

At the time of his death, he was working on a film called...

Is there a better way to sum up the life of an actor?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Craig Hill (1926-2014) has died.
'Whirlybirds' Star Craig Hill Dies at 88

The actor also appeared in "Detective Story" and "What Price Glory" and in a series of 1960s Westerns filmed in Europe.

Craig Hill, who played P.T. Moore, the co-owner of a helicopter chartering company, in the 1950s syndicated TV adventure series Whirlybirds, died Monday, the Spanish newspaper Ara reported. He was 88.

Hill, who also appeared as the prison-bound first-time offender at the beginning of the Kirk Douglas cop classic Detective Story (1951), died in Barcelona, family members told the newspaper. He had lived in Spain for decades.

Whirlybirds, from Desilu Productions, aired for three seasons and 111 half-hour episodes, from February 1957 to January 1960. Moore and his partner, Chuck Martin (Kenneth Tobey), flew Bell 47 light helicopters out of the fictional Longwood Field in Southern California to aid in search-and-rescue operations or to fly rich clients around.

The idea for making a helicopter the star of a TV series was spawned by a January 1956 episode of the Desilu sitcom I Love Lucy in which Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball) commandeers a Bell 47 to fly her to a trans-Atlantic ocean liner that had sailed without her. Robert Altman, in his first regular gig, directed 19 episodes of Whirlybirds.

Later, Hill moved to Spain and starred in a series of Westerns filmed in that country and throughout Europe, including Hands of a Gunfighter (1965), Fifteen Scaffolds for the Killer (1967), Seven Pistols for a Massacre (1967), Bury Them Deep (1968), And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (1972) and My Horse, My Gun, Your Widow (1972).

A native of Los Angeles, Hill began as a contract player at Fox. He had roles in such films as All About Eve (1950), Cheaper by the Dozen (1950) and, as one of Marine captain James Cagney's lieutenants, in John Ford's What Price Glory (1952).

Hill's résumé also includes the films The Black Shield of Falworth (1954), Siege at Red River (1954), Tammy and the Bachelor (1957), You Have to Run Fast (1961) and The Swinger (1966) with Ann-Margret, and the TV series My Little Margie, The Great Gildersleeve, Death Valley Days, Hawaiian Eye and The F.B.I.

In 1990, Hill married Spanish fashion model and actress Teresa Gimpera (The Spirit of the Beehive).
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! I watched WHIRLYBIRDS. Loved it. I must have been four years old. Wow!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My brother and I lived on those syndicated adventure shows. NAVY LOG, RIPCORD, SIR FRANCIS DRAKE, JIM BOWIE. And on and on. Such wonderful, innocent times!