Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, Stone, how sad. I first noticed Marcia Strassman in the tv series, M*A*S*H as one of the nurses, but really thought she was a sparkling presence whenever she appeared. She had the most beautiful eyes and an intelligent, gamine quality that made her so different from the vast majority of cookie-cutter actresses. I sincerely hope that she and her family are at peace. There was such genuine sweetness in everything I ever saw her do.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Gosh Moira, I forgot about her early appearances on MASH. Those episodes play incessantly up here in Canada; now I've got to keep a special eye out for her.

And of course she was adorable as the befuddled mom/wife in the "Shrunk the Baby" movies.

You summed up her special qualities beautifully, Moira.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy wrote:
You summed up her special qualities beautifully, Moira.

Stone, I completely agree with you!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Polly Bergen is another favorite of mine - she will be missed dearly and I loved her in War and Remembrance, The Winds of War, and Murder on Flight 502 back in 1975.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Marcia Strassman was adorable. I wasn't even a fan of "Kotter." But if I tuned in, I couldn't take my eyes off her.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Charles Champlin, the film reviewer of the Los Angeles Times for 26 years, author, television host and the writer of a 1975 letter to a young teenage girl in Las Vegas (which she still has) -when she inquired about which film schools were worth checking out along with the book he recommended- has died.

From the LA Times:

Charles Champlin, the former Los Angeles Times arts editor, film critic and columnist whose insightful, elegantly written reviews and columns informed and entertained readers for decades, died Sunday at his Los Angeles home. He was 88.

The cause was complications of Alzheimer's disease, said his son, Charles Champlin Jr.

The Harvard-educated Champlin had worked 17 years at Life and Time magazines before joining The Times as entertainment editor and three-times-a-week columnist in 1965.

During his 26 years at The Times, Champlin served as the paper's principal film critic from 1967 through 1980.

He then shifted to book reviewing and, with his "Critic at Large" column, offered a more general overview of the arts. He retired in 1991 but continued to contribute to The Times' daily and Sunday Calendar sections and wrote two books despite becoming legally blind from age-related macular degeneration in 1999.

For more: http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... tml#page=1
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I've enjoyed reading many of Charles Champlin's reviews and interviews over time. He had a sparkle & civility that will be missed. Champlin had the grace to write his negative reviews with a kind of disappointment over the outcome of so much effort.

I will always feel a bit of a connection, albeit tenuous. I first learned to love swimming at Champlin Beach, a lovely cove on Keuka Lake named for his family, who were among the first to discover the beauty of The Finger Lakes. RIP, Mr. C. Hope you'll find some of the rest and joy in eternity that your family gave mine on that shore.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

I totally agree with your thoughtful words! While he was the film reviewer for the Times, I sought out his reviews even before I moved to the City of Angels.

My only regret- knowing what I know now about life and my love of movies, I didn't do more when I was still that teenage girl and even once I moved to the City of Angels to go to film school to correspond more with Mr. Champlin.

It would have been so much fun.

Ah, youth and the things you think know and the realities you live with forty years gone.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

He brought us The Graduate, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe and many others.

Director Mike Nichols has died at the age of 83.

From the HR:

Director Mike Nichols, who made such films as The Graduate, which earned him a best director Oscar, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, has died at the age of 83.

He was was married to ABC News veteran Diane Sawyer and was successful in Hollywood and on Broadway alike. Notably, he was one of only a dozen people to have won at least one Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony award each.

James Goldston, president of ABC News, shared the news of his death with ABC News staff in a note on Thursday morning. The U.S. director, who was born in Germany under the name Michael Igor Peschkowsky, died of cardiac arrest, according to an ABC News representative.

"I am writing with the very sad news that Diane's husband, the incomparable Mike Nichols, passed away suddenly on Wednesday evening," Goldston's note said.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/m ... -83-750671
Lynn in Lake Balboa

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Good Heavens. An unbelievably creative director, especially considering the changing styles and formats. It was this filmmaker as much as any other who drove those changes. The movies went kicking and screaming from the standard classics we love, to the less predictable, experimental methods seen today. Not everything touched by Mr. Nichols turned to gold. There were successes and there were missteps. But THE GRADUATE and "Virginia Woof" are among the great ones. They speak to the times as well as any movies I know of.

The director would never again reach that level of excellence. But SILKWOOD is quite intriguing. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE is a brittle comedy. BILOXI BLUES a gentler one. This was a man who could make us laugh and make us think. That quality puts him in the company of Chaplin, Lubitsch and Billy Wilder. Not a bad legacy!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The traditional end of the year sadness hit full force this weekend and today.

British actress extraordinaire Billie Whitelaw;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30571601

Television producer Arthur Gardner, who with his partners, brought us The Rifleman, The Big Valley and much, much more:

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Joe Cocker, the original Mad Dog and Englishman, who helped spark thousands of romances (including one of mine) with his version of You Are So Beautiful and always got by With a Little Help From My Friends:

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... tml#page=1

Joseph Sargent, the director of The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three and The Marcus-Nelson Murders (which brought us Kojak, but what a tv movie) among many others:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/emmy-wi ... 201385828/
Lynn in Lake Balboa

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It happens every year. I'll never forget Jack Benny's passing during Christmas week.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

. . . Or Dean Martin's on Christmas Day.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, heck. The editors for TCM Remembers will be burning the midnight oil tonight. So sad for the family and friends most affected by these losses at what we hope is a festive time of year, but what a remarkably rich legacy they leave behind for us.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'd forgotten about Dean Martin. LOVE The Dean! Wasn't Chaplin's passing at this time as well?

what a remarkably rich legacy they leave behind for us.

That's all any of us can hope for. Not fame and art and great works. But the effect we've had on others. Our family and friends. Strangers in need of a kind word or a strong shoulder. A job well done, a hobby enjoyed and shared. To be part of the solution, not the problem. I hope that's my legacy.