Dane Clark Rocks

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Dane Clark Day

Post by JackFavell »

Another great moment in Deep Valley is the cut from Ida with her dog lying on the edge of the cliff to our first view of the road construction work. Suddenly we're not deep in the woods any more. This comes as a real shock. You might say that it took the dynamiting and jackhammering of the crew to blast the Saul family out of their prisons. All the main characters are in some kind of prison.
Ooh that's a great point kingrat! Wow. that's so true. I don't know about you, but I was shocked when she looked over the hill and there was nothing but dirt and machinery. I felt that first blast was so jarring and scary and CLOSE.... (maybe because they are cutting up the woods in our neighborhood for new houses, while FOUR other houses on our block sit empty).... that blasting just killed me. Seeing that beauty that Ida needed so badly in her life just blown away. Ugh. But it did serve to wake that family out of their sleep.

And getting back to that dress sequence - I just loved that scene. Ida was extremely touching and giddy with love, but at the same time trying to hide. She is fairly bursting with it, but cannot tell the whole truth. I am a huge Fay Bainter fan, and the way she played it was very moving to me. It reminded me so much of another scene - one from from Quality Street, and it made the scene in DV even more poignant to me. At the beginning of QS, Fay gives up her wedding gown to her sister, Katharine Hepburn. Fay is an old maid, her lover had left her or been killed before they got married, and she has kept her wedding dress ever since. It's a wonderful, quiet scene, just like this one, full of unspoken sadness and charity. In Deep Valley, I felt that Fay was remembering her own feelings and thoughts when she first loved her her husband, but it was all under the surface. Fay Bainter is really quite incredible, adding quiet depth and undercurrent in all of her films.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Quality Street is not to everyone's taste - some people really hate it. It's Katharine Hepburn in a period piece/comedy of manners, by Barrie with Franchot Tone as her leading man. She plays two roles (sort of) - a spinster lady and her shallow, deceitful niece. If that sounds horrible to you, then forget it.

That being said, I really like it, it's quaint and kind of charming, and I like the cast, especially Fay Bainter. This was the film that made me realize that she was a super actress stuck in character parts. Luckily, her small scene with the wedding dress comes early, so if you want to switch it off before the complications ensue, you can. :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Birthday girl Alexis Smith before her dip into the deep end of the glamour pool.

It's actually Alexis Smith Day today in honor of the beautiful leading lady's birthday, but I thought that her costarring role with Dane Clark and Zachary Scott in Whiplash (1948) might warrant a look. I've never seen this whole movie, though it looks fairly promising and has Eve Arden to boot as well as Jeffrey Lynn, hanging on to his Warner's contract by a thread. I believe our boy Dane plays a variation on his character from A Stolen Life--a painter who is an angry young man type--with married Alexis as his touchstone and tormentor as he turns into a boxer!

The real mystery here appears to be how they did those two shots with the Danester and Alexis. Either he was standing on the same apple box that Bogie used in Conflict and The Two Mrs. Carrolls with the statuesque Ms. Smith or Alexis spent time in a hole in the ground. I never really warmed up to Alexis Smith until I saw her in The Constant Nymph and really thought she played a difficult role extremely well. Btw, if you watch Conflict, you may notice how she keeps hunching her shoulders, sitting down and looking up at Humphrey Bogart in various scenes. I guess it must have been tricky to figure out how to make her look diminutive and possibly threatened by Bogie's not so looming presence. Not that it matters, since his talent gave him all the height he ever needed, but I always have the impression that he was maybe 5'8" tops. Whaddyou think?

I can't resist posting this because I love Eve's shoulder pads (and attitude) as she saves a choice look for Dane, who seems to be working on a picture from his very active imagination.

All Zachary Scott haters (and I know you're out there) should enjoy this one. He's a miserable cuss from beginning to end, (I think). I like him when he's bad and happy about it, relishing the feeling that he's smarter than everyone else--only to get his comeuppance by The End.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Dane Clark Rocks

Post by moira finnie »

Dane Clark Alert!!
TCM warms up the winter for those of us who think Dane Clark was cool as long as he had a decent part and a leading lady under 5'5"....no, seriously, he was often a very good actor, even if he never quite had a part that seemed absolutely perfect for him (see Moonrise, Pride of the Marines & Embraceable You for good examples of his better roles).

On Wed., Jan. 8th at 8pm, the network kicks off a night of Dane with one of his least seen and more interesting films, Gunman in the Streets (1950), shot on the streets of Paris by Frank Tuttle (This Gun For Hire, Hell on Frisco Bay) with the cinematography by Claude Renoir and Eugen Schufftan. Clark is paired with the youthful Simone Signoret just as she began to hit her professional stride in the internationally acclaimed Casque d'Or (1950). The Tuttle movie, shot in both French and English versions, has only become available in the U.S. in recent years.

8:00 PM
GUNMAN IN THE STREETS (1950)
An American army deserter turns street criminal after escaping from police custody.
Dir: Frank Tuttle Cast: Dane Clark , Simone Signoret , Fernand Gravet .
BW-88 mins, TV-PG
Here's a clip that illustrates the intensity of the film:
[youtube][/youtube]

9:45 PM
EMBRACEABLE YOU (1948)
When he accidentally injures a young girl, a gangster risks his freedom to nurse her.
Dir: Felix Jacoves Cast: Dane Clark , Geraldine Brooks , S. Z. Sakall .
BW-80 mins, TV-G
One of the movies that made me realize how many talented people never got their real chance in Hollywood: Clark and the appealing Geraldine Brooks were two, both of whom were very endearing in this movie, which I wrote about here.

11:15 PM
THAT WAY WITH WOMEN (1947)
An elderly millionaire makes a hobby of playing cupid.
Dir: Frederick de Cordova Cast: Dane Clark , Martha Vickers , Sydney Greenstreet .
BW-84 mins, TV-PG
Fun and deeply silly, but good fare for feeding a frivolous streak. It's silly, but not as foolish as that hat on Martha Vickers' lovely head.

1:00 AM
OUTLAW'S SON (1957)
An outlaw is confronted by the son he deserted years earlier.
Dir: Lesley Selander Cast: Dane Clark , Ben Cooper , Lori Nelson .
BW-88 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format
A new one on me. Most of the time, Dane + Westerns=Uh-Oh. However, I should probably have an open mind.

2:45 AM
WHIPLASH (1948) (Please see previous post)
An artist becomes a boxer but finds that it may not have been the best career choice.
Dir: Lew Seiler Cast: Dane Clark , Alexis Smith , Zachary Scott .
BW-90 mins, TV-G
Zachary Scott is hampered by more than his rep for oiliness, but that's nothing compared to the travails of Dane Clark, boy artist, with Alexis Smith, whose character is so underwritten she is almost invisible. One character who stands out as real and memorable, despite script troubles: Eve Arden.
Here's a clip of Alexis Smith being unhappy but lovely:
[youtube][/youtube]

4:30 AM
BACKFIRE (1950)
A veteran tries to clear an old friend of a murder charge.
Dir: Vincent Sherman Cast: Viveca Lindfors , Dane Clark , Virginia Mayo .
BW-91 mins, TV-PG, CC
This movie almost made me think that Gordon MacRae might have had some acting potential beyond selling a song and supporting Doris Day. The beautiful and intelligent Viveca Lindfors demonstrates once again that she was far too good for the material she was handed in the late '40s.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Huge admirer of Dane Clark. Have the recorder going (yes, still use the old VHS for recording) to tape all of tonight's TCM offerings. Kudos to TCM for giving Dane his due. The only one I've seen before is WHIPLASH, so the rest will be a treat.

A buddy of mine interviewed Dane Clark for the book he wrote on John Garfield. He said Dane came across as a true New York tough guy but was really very nice. And of course Dane held a law degree. Surely no Dead End Kid was he. And contrary to another written account, he held no animosity toward Garfield. The two got along very well professionally and personally.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The Dane Clark Five! hahahahaha! That's too funny!

I am a fan of Clark's and I would have posted here had I remembered there was a thread for him. I always resent that moniker John Garfield lite - just because he has a New York voice doesn't mean he was trying to be John Garfield. It never occurred to me to think of him as anything but himself, until I saw that nickname here somewhere or at the TCM site. But I saw Clark as an older man first, in all the TV shows of the seventies that he guested on when I was a kid. He impressed me as a very good actor with an intensity that I enjoyed very much. I especially like him in Deep Valley and the twin movie with Bette Davis. It will be nice to expand our knowledge with these movies, which I'm recording as well.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Let's hear it for Eve Arden's shoulder pads ( and hat)! Thanks,Moira.
I like both Dane Clark and Zachary Scott, especially Mr .Scott. Fine actor in lots of different roles. A favorite is THE UNFAITHFUL with Ann Sheridan and Eve Arden.