TCM Movies and Moguls Series

Discussion of programming on TCM.
pvitari

TCM Movies and Moguls Series

Post by pvitari »

Today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a piece by Bo Emerson on the upcoming TCM series Movies and Moguls. There's an exhibit at Phipps Plaza (local upscale mall in Atlanta's Buckhead area) today and tomorrow displaying
some of the items used in the series, and Robert Osbourne will play host to the exhibit this evening.

Alas, I am not able to attend. ;( (Dog-sitting duties...though if there is one thing that I never mind doing, it's spending time with my sweet baby Charlie the English Bulldog.)

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-mo ... 85343.html
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: TCM Movies and Moguls Series

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey Marco!

The exhibit is coming to the Embarcadero Center and Kyle is wondering if we are going.

Are we going? It's here Nov. 10 and 11th.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Lzcutter wrote:Hey Marco!

The exhibit is coming to the Embarcadero Center and Kyle is wondering if we are going.

Are we going? It's here Nov. 11 and 12th.

Since I work in Embarcadero II, I will be seeing it. The report I've heard from Atlanta was not too impressive. Nonetheless, I'll see it, there's a part of a Valentino costume on display. :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Donna,

Maybe the three of us could go together?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

A friend who works at TNT sent me this electronic poster. :)

rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Lzcutter wrote:Donna,

Maybe the three of us could go together?
Lynn, would love it. I will PM you my office number
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

For the record, I enjoyed it very much and in some ways it reminded me of and was an homage to Hollywood the wonderful Kevin Brownlow series. To M&MS credit, it didn't feel like a retread of Hollywood and at times it was as evocative as that series.

I really enjoyed hearing from the relatives of the moguls and look forward to more of their stories.

I did wonder if there were previews for next week's episode at the 5:00/8:00 broadcast versus the encore screening.

I was really looking forward to seeing some info on next week's episode.

Congrats to Tom Brown and everyone at TCM and Wilkman Productions for a job well done.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched the second half of Part Two last night and liked it. My son watched it with me and was really taken with it, because it was all new to him. I look forward to the other episodes.
rudyfan

TCM Movies and Moguls Exhibit

Post by rudyfan »

For those local to the Bay Area, the TCM exhibit in connection with the Moguls and movies exhibit is being installed and opening tomorrow. The location will be at Two Embarcadero Center (could not be more convenient for me, I work in this building). The exhibit will be on display November 11th and 12th.

It seems the property owner did not provide them with a space large enough to house the collection of material. It's actually going to be set up outdoors! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 55.26,,0,5

If you're around, I sure will be, tomorrow and Friday.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like it too, it's serious, but with beauty, and fits the theme well.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

For those of us who don't live near lone of the venues where the traveling exhibit will be seen, this video gives us a glimpse of the items included from Grand Central Station in NYC:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Moira, thanks for posting the video. I'll be posting pics later tonight. The exhibition is small on items, but still very interesting. Marilyn Monroe was t-i-n-y if you are going by her adorable bolero jacket from Niagara. The Valentino costume (incorrectly attributed from The Sheik) is gorgeous. The interactive features of the exhibits are cool.

Looking forward to meeting up tomorrow with Lynn to see it all again (I hope).
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

rudyfan wrote:Moira, thanks for posting the video. I'll be posting pics later tonight. The exhibition is small on items, but still very interesting. Marilyn Monroe was t-i-n-y if you are going by her adorable bolero jacket from Niagara. The Valentino costume (incorrectly attributed from The Sheik) is gorgeous. The interactive features of the exhibits are cool.

Looking forward to meeting up tomorrow with Lynn to see it all again (I hope).
Donna, I couldn't believe how new Valentino's duds looked in this video. Where have they been stored? An air-conditioned vault away from all dust, heat and light??

I can't wait to see your photos and your and Lynn's comments. Thanks so much.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

moirafinnie wrote:Donna, I couldn't believe how new Valentino's duds looked in this video. Where have they been stored? An air-conditioned vault away from all dust, heat and light??

I can't wait to see your photos and your and Lynn's comments. Thanks so much.
Each of the four costumes on display are from the Western Costume collection. It is my understanding that some of the more valuable costumes are kept in vault/climate controlled spaces.

The Valentino costume is rather well preserved. The pants and the sash shwon are not original to the costume, they're recreations. Only the vest and shirt are original. They are in nice shape for pieces that are so old.

As Marco pointed out when I met him at the exhibit today, the Scarlett O'Hara dress is not so well preserved, there are holes in the gown that have been repaired. I was not too observant about that. I spent too much time peering at the Valentino costume to pay much attention to the others. I'm afraid I gave only seconds of my time to the Christopher Plummer costume from The Sound of Music. The Marilyn Monroe bolero from Niagara, my goodness she was a tiny little thing, petite, that jacket is so small. I never would have thought.

I took over 100 photos yesterday of the various exhibits and the scant real memorabilia that was in the exhibit. I'll be posting it on my blog this weekend and I will post a link as soon as I get the stuff up.