Soon to be playing- Our own MoiraFinnie

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Soon to be playing- Our own MoiraFinnie

Post by Lzcutter »

Good morning Oasisians!

Hope everyone is having a glorious day! We must be doing something right! Why? Because the cinematic gods have heard one of our deepest, rarely spoken but never forgotten secret wishes!

Now before you think I've gone deep into the liquor cabinet, stay with me.

Many of us here at the Oasis have been online friends dating back to our days at TCM City. When we started the Oasis, those friendships have only deepened. Some of us have had the opportunity to meet in the real world and those online friendships have become a part of our lives.

But through it all, our fearless leader, MoiraFinnie, has guided us, helped us when we can't get something to work and has been a fountain of knowledge and fun facts.

For years, many of us have dreamed of meeting of Moira or at the very least being able to see her from afar.

Well, as I said earlier in this crazy post, the cinematic gods at TCM have heard our prayers and they seem to know our wishes.

As some of us were fortunate to do for TCM's 15th anniversary a few years ago, next month the MovieMorlocks will be presenting an evening of some of their favorite films with, of course, our favorite cinematic rock star, Robert O!

Still in the dark????

OUR OWN MOIRAFINNIE IS GOING TO BE ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!

One eagle eyed Oasisian (MissGoddess) was reading her new Now Playing Guide when she came across this page (and she was kind enough to scan it for all of us):

So be sure to set your DVRs for Nov. 30th as Moira makes her television debut!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Soon to be playing- Our own MoiraFinnie

Post by movieman1957 »

For those unaware the "some of us" Lynn refers to that were guest programmers were herself, Miss Goddess, Cinemaven, and Mongo. Christy [Sue Sue Applegate] was a featured guest in a promo for the TCM Film Festival a couple of years ago.

Now, our Moira joins the crowd of the famous. Congratulations Moira.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What great news! If you need any help prepping for your closeup, Moira, I am here, ready and willing!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Thank you.

I had help getting my act together for once from Lynn, Christy and April, all of whom gave me some good advice about clothes, hair, etc. Everyone else who knew about it just reminded me to have fun, which I sure had in spades thanks to the wonderful people at TCM. Now I just hope that they were able to edit my stammering remarks (there was way too much to say about this wonderful film). I'll post more about this later, but it has been in the works for awhile. I'll post more about this when I am feeling less weird about it. Thanks again, pals.

Here are the times and films being shown on Nov. 30th. (All times are ET)

8:00 PM
The Locket (1946)
Suzi Doll

9:45 PM
Dracula's Daughter (1936)
Richard Harland Smith

11:15 PM
Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (1954)
me

1:00 AM
Five Million Years To Earth (1968)
Keelsetter (Pablo)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Moira, you look so lovely! I can't wait for November 30th to arrive. And thanks to Miss Goddess for the scan. :lol:

I detect a little air of Deborah Kerr in your looks and manner! Stunning!

Can't wait to see your intro and outro with Robert O.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Congratulations, Miss Finnie!! I simply flew to the computer after I saw your picture and I cannot wait to see your segment on November 30th. It couldn't happen to a nicer Morlock. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Congratulations, Moira! And thank you for the excellent choice of film.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

WOW :D
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

How fabulous! Congratulations Moira - how cool that they used YOUR pic in the Now Playing guide - you look pretty much as I've imagined you all these years. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, this is fantastic news! I want to hear all about you and RO, and the TCM staff, and getting made up, and what the set really looks like! When you are ready, be sure to let us know. I'm so glad for you! I can't wait to hear what you had to say about the film. I am sure you blew them away with your sharp wit and knowledge.

Shhh... don't tell anyone, but you have always been my favorite Morlock. :D Image
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Moira, what a wonderful surprise to discover this. Can't add much more to what everyone has said except my heartfelt congratulations and I definitely will be tuning in on November 30. You've done so much to make this Board great and have shown so much support to the members - you certainly have with yours truly, much to my deep appreciation. And how wonderful to see your beautiful image in the TCM publication. Again: Congrats!!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Moira!!! I am so happy for you. I can't think of any writer or classic film fan more deserving to sit in the red chair. Moira, congratulations. I can't wait to see you on the TCM.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

My dear Moira, Congratulations on your well-deserved TCM appearance. I am sure that your segment will be very entertaining and enlightening. You look regal like a Regina, every inch the classy Irish lady with fiery redhead a-la Maureen O'Hara or Deborah Kerr (she's English, but a lovely redhead anyway :wink: ). A big hug, Fernando
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Moira, I was first introduced to you via your Morlocks article on AM back in 2008. To think, all this time you've been a redhead yourself. :wink: I believe I see a little of AM in your face, but then, I do tend to see her everywhere. :P

Since I don't watch television I won't be able to catch your segment, but if it's available online at some point I'd love to see it.

I have seen the film Touchez pas au Grisbi, many years ago when I used to immerse myself in french culture and we had revival houses in NYC -- such as the former Theater 80 on St. Mark's Place -- that showed old french films like these. I should try to find a copy of it to refresh my memory, and I do appreciate Jean Gabin.

You know, I've always wondered -- what is a "morlock," anyway? :)

P.S. to Lzcutter -- thanks for the heads-up!