KIM NOVAK

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

KIM NOVAK

Post by mrsl »

I was really surprised to see Kim Novak agreeing to an interview, especially live and to be filmed rather than a magazine article or other written material. The last I knew of her was when she moved to Big Sur to live as quietly as the press would let her. So that had to be over 32 years ago since 32 years is how long she's been married to this present husband. It's kind of unnerving to see how easily she gets herself all upset and emotional, but I guess that's why she was a good actor, no matter what the critics said. I was also surprised at how admiringly she talked about Hitchcock. Oh, everyone admires him, but she had nothing but praise for his style of directing, and I've heard a lot of actresses complain about his methods. Anyway, she looks quite good considering her age (a lot better than I do at 68). My favorite role of hers was Bell, Book, and Candle, but of course the cast helped a lot with that one. But my personal favorite movie with her was as Kathy in Boys Night Out, with Jim Garner. They were both at the very top of their games at the time that was filmed and they made a beautiful couple, even though it was just for the screen, and i would have liked to hear her comments about him.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: KIM NOVAK

Post by JackFavell »

I thought the interview was absolutely marvelous. The best I've seen, thanks to a warm and loving Robert O, plus the accepting audience, and Kim's openness. I felt such a strong connection to her, and was crying buckets by the end of the show.

I love both those films very much, they are ones I always watch when they are on. My favorites would be Vertigo and Man With the Golden Arm. In Man, she's so warm and loving, and she chooses the hard path because it's better for him. I feel a great deal of the real Kim in that role, and I think her acting was superb. I don't think I have to talk much about Vertigo, it's pretty much a given that she's got her best role there.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I like her in the Jeanne Eagels biopic, she's a real treat to watch, a real beauty. I haven't watched many of her movies but I'd like to, I'd love to watch her interview. No doubt some kind soul will put it on youtube, I hold my breath expectantly.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

If it shows up on TCM's media room, I'll post it. I know they used to have several other ones on there.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think she even said something to the effect of, with a father like that, Harry Cohn (Alfred Hitchcock, Otto Preminger) seemed like a pretty nice guy.
charliechaplinfan

How did Theresa get on the front row? What city does TCM and Robert Osbourne use?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It was in Hollywood, at the TCM festival, which takes place in the spring. Theresa should really talk about her experiences with Kim here!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Yes1 Theresa is the one!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Awwwww. 'Tweren't nuthin'!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

I'm so pleased for you :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanxx Alison.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I recorded the 1964 version of Of Human Bondage starring Kim Novak as Mildred and Laurence Harvey as Philip Carey back in October. I finally watched it a few days ago. I've been thinking about it ever since. What I have to say may be shocking, but...

Kim Novak's performance as Mildred is superior to Bette Davis' Mildred.

Novak had more nuance, more layers. I understood her as one of those women who NEED male attention, male adoration, all the time. I know many women like that. They usually don't have a lot of female friends, because the male gaze is all comsuming to them, whether they realize it or not. Novak's Mildred wasn't just a slut. I understood her promiscuity. She seemed to crave love, yet couldn't return it. She is a taker. Maybe it gives her a feeling of control.

There is a beautiful shot near the end of the film, where Novak is lying on a bed, her face seen between the iron bars of the footboard of the bed. I wish that I had a screencap--it's haunting. Her face shows the her vulnerability, her fear, her sadness.

These are just ramblings off the top of my head. Anyone else seen this version?

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, Sandy, I've seen it, and I had an almost identical reaction to Novak's performance. She's astoundingly good, really gives Mildred a reason for her behavior. For once, I understood her actions. And I've read the book!
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Wendy, after seeing the 1964 version, I'm tempted to read the book...

What do you think of the various Philips? I thought that Laurence Harvey was the only one of the three that looked the right age, but he didn't have the sensitivity that Henreid and Howard both had.

Sandy K