August 2013 on TCM - Summer Under the Stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: August 2013 on TCM - Summer Under the Stars

Post by JackFavell »

I love John Frankenheimer. Never took the easy way. I consistently go back to his films, even though they aren't always pleasant. They make me think. And what I think is, he was terrific. :D

I am most curious about Along the Great Divide and Act of Love. Don't know how much of Kirk I can stand today, but I'm going to try to watch the westerns, these two films I've mentioned, and Paths of Glory, which I've never seen but always heard about. We'll see how far I get.

I just LOVED watching GLENDA FARRELL yesterday! I barely took any time out to do anything else!

What makes Glenda really great is something I've seen only a few BIG stars do. She takes a moment in each and every movie, whether it's a drama or a comedy, where she lets herself go soft. Her voice drops low, she lowers her eyes, and the soul of the character lets it's innermost fears or thoughts be known. It could be as simple and dreamy as Torchy saying to Barton MacLane "Gee, Steve, wouldn't it be swell to settle down and have a whole passel of kids?" Or it could be the look of fear and shock on her gal reporter's face as she opens the lid of a crate and sees a dead body - it rocks her so much she literally backs across the room - deadly serious. It could be complex, as in The Personality Kid, when Pat O'Brien realizes that she, as his agent (and wife), has made a deal behind his back for him to throw fights for money, and she tries to explain herself and her actions even though she feels enormous guilt. The great actors (Tracy and Powell are two who immediately come to mind) do this almost wordless downward glance, and Glenda is right with them, doing her own version. It comes in an unforced, tender manner, as if letting out a secret only they know. I think this is why I like her so much. There's a subtle womanliness under the bombast and fast talking. Whatever motivation that character has, that SOFTNESS, that wistfulness comes forth, hesitatingly, sometimes only for a split second, but unmistakably REAL.

Clair Trevor could do it too. take that little moment of revelation and make of it a shining example of good acting. But Farrell had to pick her moments from such slim pickings! How to make your character real in the midst of zaniness, now that's an art! I think Glenda and Clair are almost two sides of the same coin - they make it look easy. Though they worked in different areas, Clair in straight drama and Farrell mostly in comedy, somehow they seem related to me. Maybe it's that they both had an easy answer at the ready, even when their hearts were breaking, and they both were portraying strong women who lacked something in their lives that would make them fully happy. What do you think?

What I can't get over is how BEAUTIFUL Glenda looks in I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG, and how cold and vicious she could act. And yet, she had her reasons.... you can see it all over her, this woman wants security at any cost. Her Marie Woods has seen an awful lot of heartache to get to this low point in her life.

My favorite combination of the day? Glenda and Frankie McHugh. In Snowed Under and especially Mystery of the Wax Museum where they play a sparring boss and his star newspaper reporter. This has always been a great favorite of mine, but only recently have I really watched these two together closely. Here are some delightful quotes from them:
Florence: "Hello, light of my life."
Jim: "Well, well, Prussic Acid."
Florence: "As I live and breathe and wear spats, the prince."
Jim: "You been doing experiments with scotch and soda again?"
Florence: Where'd you get that news item, from a little bird?
Jim: "Yeah. Have a pleasant vacation?"
Florence: "Charming, more delightful people crippled."
Florence: "Listen, Joan Gale's body was swiped from the morgue. Have you ever heard of such a thing as a death mask?"
Jim: "I used to be married to one."
Florence: "Then it came to life and divorced you, I know all about that."
When he says to her at the end of the movie, "Aww, Why don't you quit being a sob sister and marry me?" she looks wistfully out the window at the rich college boy who is smitten with her, that she could have at the drop of a hat, then turns back and says to him "You know what? Just to get even with you..... I will." and they kiss. Well THAT'S as close to perfection as you can get. Frank McHugh gets the gal Friday.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

PATHS OF GLORY is a great film but very hard to watch, I couldn't do it again. I've seen ACT OF LOVE and ALONG THE GREAT DIVIDE---I prefer the latter movie, it's very good (of course, it's Walsh).

I re-watched MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, too, and agree that Glenda and Frankie made an adorable pair. It's always nice to see him get the girl for a change. The zingers between them flew so fast I made myself listen extra closely not to miss a single one. This is my favorite version of the story, I even think Lionel Atwill's performance is extremely fine. He plays the character with a mask-like inflection which I don't recall Price doing in the later film. Terrific combination of terror and humor. I like your comparison of Glenda and Claire, I can see it.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think Lionel Atwill is great in this role. He brings a pain to it that does not seem put on. And the makeup is really good! It makes him look like a monster, but one side is pulled down into a sad grimace, kind of pathetic and melancholy, like comedy/tragedy masks turned into one entity. And you can also see how he's gone past the point of no return, he can't even listen to Fay Wray, he's gone mad.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Nancy Kulp looked kind of attractive in that clothes store when she was shopping for her trusseau. And you're so right Brother Rat about the coded Jewishness and the movie handling drama and comedy well. It was unexpected for me. I must sit down quietly with that movie next time. It was Thelma's show alllllllll the way.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

<spit take>

Excuse, JF, but you've never seen PATHS OF GLORY?!?!?!? The movie with the most glorious star ever known?!?!?!? (And, no, that is not a reference to Kirk or Adolphe or Ralph or Emile...or even George.)

Cockroaches and blindfolds will forever remind you of the wonders of the the finest performer in movie history.

And you thought Kirk could clinch his teeth and talk....

Thank you, sir.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote: And for a Labor Day treat, I want to see a noir called The Pitfall (dir. Andre De Toth), with Dick Powell, Lizabeth Scott, Raymond Burr, and Jane Wyatt.
I'm looking forward to seeing that film kingrat!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Re: THE MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM -

The look of almost petulant embarrassment on Lionel Atwill after Fay Wray reacts in horror at the grotesque face she has revealed hidden beneath the wax mask has to be one of the most eccentric moments in a horror film. Poor Ivan Igor's vanity has been compromised and he responds accordingly. Wonder if that direction was in the script or if Atwill merely ad-libbed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't mind seeing Kirk if Tim Carey is there to liven things up. With cockroaches. (blatant suck up attempt)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

All I know Western Guy is that I love Lionel Atwill in this movie, petulant or whatever it is.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Me, too, Wendy. One of Hollywood's most enjoyable and I'd say inventive actors (so evident in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN). That's why I wonder if it wasn't his own idea to add that unique moment to the "unmasking scene" in WAX MUSEUM. A neat touch.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And it's such a different response than the one Lon Chaney gives in Phantom. I bet he was trying to think of anything to distinguish a different personality from Chaney's memorable one.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

My only quibble with MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM and its HOUSE OF WAX remake is revealing the "monster" so early (and often) in the film. IMO, the unmasking would have had much more impact had the character remained a shadowy presence - countenance unseen - until the moment the heroine shatters the mask. To me, as it stands now in both films, the scene is anticlimactic since . . .

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

. . . it ain't no mystery the sculptor and the hideous creature are one and the same.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I highly recommend PITFALL...I discovered this gem about a year ago and it quickly became one of my favorite films noir.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers