What's going on with late night TCM?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

What's going on with late night TCM?

Post by mrsl »

I used to come home from work at 11:00 p.m., get a cup of coffee and settle in to watch a movie on TCM, even when my insomnia set in after my retirement I still could do the same until lately. Lately it seems like all night is filled with either silent films, or non English speaking foreign films with sub titles. I've tried to watch a couple since I don't crochet at 3:00 a.m., but my old eyes just don't read as quickly as they flash the words on the screen so I miss a whole lot of the dialog and have to guess what was said.

I also feel that TCM stands for Turner CLASSIC Movies. I'm sorry but I see nothing classic about movies like I Am Curious (Yellow). That movie was banned when it came out in many cities and although we have matured in our tastes and sensitivities, I feel it still does not belong on a channel like TCM. I was not happy earlier this year when they showed Blowup but . . . Yellow is far below par for TCM. Also, as I've said before, old does not make classic. Just because it was made in the 30's and early 40's does not make a movie worthy of a channel which has, until now, upheld a high standard of class and distinction. Am I again alone out here, or does anyone feel as I do?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: What's going on with late night TCM?

Post by JackFavell »

Anne,

They are showing these foreign, silent and experimental films as special programming for 3 months to coincide with the documentary called The Story of Film, which TCM is also showing. It covers the entire history of film. The focus has been on movies that changed the way we see. The focus now is on the more modern films, as we move forward in film history.

I've been enjoying the films, but I understand it can be irritating when your usual routine is upended. TCM will be back to the usual programming after this documentary is over.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I've feel the same way as you Anne and rightly so, and that's why I usually have the same problem as you - i do like to watch Late Night Television - and many of you know that I'm retired now, Single, and don't have a care for the world (as I speak now) and that alone - thinks that The Story of Film will pass through after this film documentary is over.

I feel that The Story of Film is not my cup of tea either and I'm having issues with some of the films particularly like Yellow that I don't really care for. And, that alone - I usually watch something else or better yet put on a favorite DVD or simply turn off the Television itself.

Hang in there ... TCM will be back with films that we all enjoy and that's the beauty of it.
charlestranberg

Post by charlestranberg »

My suggestion is if you are able to do it to DVR some of the movies from the day TCM schedule, which are the ones I usually enjoy watching. I think often the daytime line up is better than the night time line-up. Just my opinion.
[color=#0040FF][b]Links:[/b][/color]
[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=682]Charles Tranberg's Latest Book: FREDRIC MARCH: A CONSUMMATE ACTOR[/url][/b][/color]

[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Tranberg/e/B009EECH7C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1382651629&sr=8-2]Charles Tranberg's Other Books[/url][/b][/color]
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you for all your responses and suggestions. I knew about the film history but did not realize they were paralleling it with actual movies from each era.

I do utilize my DVR quite extensively because there are several shows on that I like to watch but can't stand the commercials, so I DVR those shows and watch them the following hour. e.g., I DVR NCIS and watch it during NCIS L.A., while I'm DVRing NCIS L.A., then watch it in the 9:00 time period. That way I can ff through the commercials. I could watch On Demand but that doesn't always allow you to use the ff or pause options, so I do it this weird way.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************