The December 2013 Schedule on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
sandykaypax

Re: The December 2013 Schedule on TCM

Post by sandykaypax »

Wendy--great post! So many thoughts have I.

Scrooge--my sister took me to see this film when I was 5 years old. Big mistake. The horrible, hellish Christmas yet to come sequence scared the pants off of me. The 2 images that are burned into my brain are Scrooge FALLING INTO HIS OWN GRAVE and the bare-chested men with the giant chain that Scrooge forged in life. I refused to watch any version of A Christmas Carol for years. When I was about 14 years old, I finally consented to watch the Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol on tv. It is still one of my favorite versions of the story.

Then a few years ago, I was in a local stage production of the same version. No falling into graves here, but it made me realize that the score really has only ONE good song--Thank You Very Much. Honestly, the Jule Styne score from the Mr. Magoo version is better. Even the Muppet Christmas Carol has a better score. Actually, the Muppet version has the most faithful representation of the ghosts of Past, Present and future.

Fred Astaire--I've seen all the films TCM is showing this month, most of them I own on dvd, yet I must stop and watch when I see him on tv. I happened to catch the Shoes with Wings On number, too, and I had the same thoughts--how did they DO that? Fred was definitely an innovator--I think that's why he was able to have such a long career. Barkleys of Broadway has a bad movie we love moment, though, when Ginger plays Sarah Bernhardt reciting La Marseillaise. She sort of growls it. Very strange. Yet I must do it with her everytime I watch it!

It's Always Fair Weather--Cyd Charisse's best acting? Agreed. This is one of those musicals that I appreciate more as I grow older. I just couldn't relate to the disillusionment of middle age when I first saw this film in my 20's.

Finian's Rainbow--I like this film, even though it seems a little overblown. I love Tommy Steele as Og the Leprechaun. What is so interesting to me is that David Wayne played the role on Broadway. My guess is that Wayne's performance would've had more of a sly edge. I love Al Freeman, Jr., Petula, Astaire. I don't really like the guy who plays Woody. Maybe it's his groovy sideburns that I don't dig.

Sandy K
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Irene Dunne Day

I watched SWEET ADELINE (1935) to LOVE AFFAIR (1939) today and planning on watching MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940) later on and I was charmed by her grace, beauty, and charm. She is such a wonderful actress and I'm so glad that she had her day in Turner Classic Movies.

My favorite is LOVE AFFAIR (of which I'm currently watching now) because of the Charm of Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne are such a marvelous match and I was charmed by it. One real surprise is JOY OF LIVING (1938) of which she teams up with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. It was a great musical/comedy that was somewhat surprisingly good and I was delighted to see this for the first time today. I find this movie an instant winner in my book.

Anyway, I was happy to watch Irene Dunne today and planning on watching MY FAVORITE WIFE later on of which she co-starred with Cary Grant and this been a favorite of mine for years. I just in awe of her talents as an actress and singer in these movies that I watched today.

Here again, I watched another 8-10 hours of TCM Programming today ... and simply had a blast doing so.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Joan Fontaine Day
December 29th, 2013

7 Movies in all

Blond Cheat - 1938 Comedy

The Woman - 1939 Comedy

Born to be Bad - a 1950 Drama.

Ivanhoe - a 1952 Epic

The Constant Nymph - 1943 Romance

Suspicion - 1941 Suspense Movie

Rebecca - 1940 Suspense Movie

From TCM Below
TCM REMEMBERS JOAN FONTAINE (1917 - 2013)

The younger sister of actress Olivia de Havilland, Joan Fontaine was a British actress known for her exceptionally poised performances in Hollywood films of the 1940s and 1950s, including Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca (1940), and Suspicion (1941) which earned her an Academy Award, as well as collaborations with Orson Welles in "Jane Eyre" (1944) and "Othello" (1952). Her career trajectory took her from romantic female leads in The Constant Nymph (1943) to formidable older women in "Serenade" (1953) and "Island in the Sun" (1957) before winding down in the late sixties. Fontaine later brought Golden Age Hollywood glamour to Broadway and television, and excelled at a variety of non-acting endeavors, including cooking, golf and aviation.

Born Joan de Beauvoir de Havilland in Tokyo, Japan on Oct. 22, 1917, she was the daughter of British patent attorney Walter de Havilland and Lillian Augusta Ruse, a former stage actress; as both she and her father would often recount, the family counted two English kings in their lineage. Plagued by illness as a child, including bouts with anemia and measles, Fontaine was sent with her sister and mother to live in Saratoga, CA, while her father remained in Japan. Her parents' marriage was already in trouble prior to the move to the States, and the separation preceded a divorce, which became final when Fontaine was two. Academic tests proved Joan to be an exceptionally bright child with an IQ of 160, and she excelled at school. Home life, however, was a different story; she had an uneasy relationship with de Havilland, who was reportedly favored by her mother. The feud eventually became the stuff of Hollywood legend, and by all accounts, was alive and well when both sisters had entered their ninth decades.

Fontaine left Los Angeles in 1932 to live with her father in Japan. She returned a year later and began to develop an interest in acting like her sister, who was making a name for herself on stage. Fontaine adopted the surname "Burfield" for her stage debut opposite May Robson in a 1935 production of "Kind Lady." The story surrounding her stage name was part of the legend of the feud; allegedly, Fontaine's mother refused to allow her to bill herself as "de Havilland" because it would interfere with her sister's career, although other sources stated that Fontaine adopted the name without any prompting. Whatever the case, she soon found herself signed to RKO and made her screen debut with a small role in George Cukor's "No More Ladies" (1935), starring Joan Crawford. By 1937, she had changed her name again, this time using her stepfather's surname of Fontaine for a string of minor dramas and musicals. A break came with a major role opposite Fred Astaire in the George Gershwin musical "A Damsel in Distress" (1937), but the picture was a failure at the box office.

Her fortunes began to change in 1939 when she received excellent notices for her performance in "Gunga Din" as the love interest of British soldier Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., and later as a naïve newlywed caught in the midst of Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Rosalind Russell and Paulette Godard in Cukor's film adaptation of The Women (1939). That same year, she married her first husband, British actor Brian Aherne, which ended unhappily in divorce in 1945.

A chance seating next to producer David O. Selznick at a dinner party paved the way for her to audition for Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca (1940), which became one of her greatest screen triumphs. The auditions were reportedly a grueling experience for all involved, and Hitchcock exploited her weariness for the film's unnamed narrator, who struggles with the adulation felt for the late title character, who is still worshipped by her new husband (Laurence Olivier) and his malevolent housekeeper (Judith Anderson). The film was a box office success, and made Fontaine both a Hollywood star and an Oscar® nominee. However, she lost the trophy to Ginger Rogers in "Kitty Foyle" (1940).

The following year, she reunited with Hitchcock and her "Gunga Din" co-star Cary Grant for Suspicion (1941), a crackling psychological thriller about a young woman who discovers that the man she has married - Grant, in a decidedly uncharacteristic turn - is a compulsive liar, thief, and burgeoning murderer. The Academy nominated her again for Best Actress - opposite her sister, who had become a star in her own right thanks to "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938) and "Gone With the Wind" (1939), and was nominated for "Hold Back the Dawn" (1941). Fontaine took home the Oscar that evening, and according to legend, she snubbed de Havilland's attempts to congratulate her as she walked to the podium. Years later, de Havilland would do the same to Fontaine when she accepted her award for "To Each His Own" (1946).

Fontaine soon settled into a series of romantic films which capitalized on her emotional turns in Rebecca and Suspicion. Most were high quality efforts - she earned her third Oscar® nomination as a naïve Belgian girl who falls for a self-absorbed composer (Charles Boyer) in Edmund Goulding's 1943 adaptation of Margaret Kennedy's novel The Constant Nymph, and played Charlotte Bronte's eponymous heroine in "Jane Eyre" (1944) opposite Orson Welles as Rochester. "Frenchman's Creek" (1944) found her English noblewoman romanced by dashing pirate Arturo de Cordova, while "The Affairs of Susan" (1945), "From This Day Forward" (1945) and "Ivy" (1947) found her entangled in one or more love affairs, occasionally with unhappy results. Fontaine also found time to become an American citizen in 1943.

In 1946, she married actor/producer William Dozier - later the man responsible for the TV version of "Batman" (ABC, 1966-68) - with whom she had a daughter, Deborah, in 1948. She also formed a production company with Dozier, called Rampart Productions, which oversaw her 1948 film "Letter from an Unknown Woman" for director Max Ophuls. A heady romance in the style of her collaborations with Hitchcock, it preceded several more hits, including the Billy Wilder musical comedy "The Emperor Waltz" (1948) with Bing Crosby, and a gritty 1948 film noir, "Kiss the Blood Off My Hands," with Burt Lancaster.

Fontaine was absent from productions from 1949 but returned in 1950 for a string of sudsy melodramas, including "September Affair" (1950) and Born to Be Bad (1950). High emotion was not relegated to Fontaine's on-screen appearances; she divorced Dozier in 1951, and adopted a Peruvian orphan, Martita, in 1952, before marring screenwriter Collier Young that same year. Her film career continued on a largely positive if unremarkable path for the next decade or so. There were hits like Ivanhoe (1952) with Robert Taylor, and the Bob Hope comedy "Casanova's Big Night" (1954). She also had an unbilled cameo in Welles' film version of "Othello" in 1952. She tried her hand at stage work, appearing on Broadway opposite Anthony Perkins in "Tea and Sympathy" in 1954. By the mid-1950s, though, Fontaine was slowly moving out of the leading lady realm and into more mature character parts - "Serenade" (1955) found her a wealthy art patron whose snobbish attitude encourages Mario Lanza to pass her over in favor of poor but kindly Sara Montiel, while Robert Rossen's class drama "Island in the Sun" (1957) cast her as a high society matron in love with Harry Belafonte's up-and-coming politician. By the early 1960s, she was appearing more on television as a guest panelist on talk shows and quiz shows than in features. She brought her film career to a close with "The Witches" (1966), a horror film about modern-day black magic which she co-produced with England's legendary Hammer Films.

Fontaine remained active on stage throughout the sixties, most notably in "Forty Carats," which brought her to Broadway in 1968. She divorced Young in 1961 and married her fourth husband, journalist Alfred Wright Jr., in 1964 (they would later divorce in 1969).

In the 1970s, Fontaine made infrequent returns to acting in television movies and miniseries like "The Users" (1978) and the sudsy Danielle Steele adaptation "Crossings" (1986). She earned a Daytime Emmy nomination in 1980 for appearances on the soap opera "Ryan's Hope" (ABC, 1975-1989). In 1986, she stepped in for Loretta Young when the actress departed the Aaron Spelling-produced "Dark Mansions" (ABC), a Gothic-styled primetime soap that failed to earn a spot on the schedule. Her last appearance was for the Family Channel's Christmas-themed TV movie "Good King Wenceslas" (1994), where she lent her poise and dignity to Queen Ludmilla, grandmother to the title character.

In addition to her acting and producing careers, Fontaine excelled at numerous hobbies and pursuits in her private life. She studied cooking at the Cordon Bleu School, earned her pilot's license, was an expert golfer and fisherman, and won a championship as a member of a hot air ballooning team. In 1978, she published her autobiography, titled No Bed of Roses which detailed the infamous de Havilland blood feud that had lasted their entire lives.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the writeup on Joan Fontaine.

I had to laugh when our Canadian newsreport of her death showed an interview clip and her saying, "I left Hollywood when they asked me to play Elvis Presley's mother!!"....

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Erik,

Thanks for the writeup on Joan Fontaine.

Larry

Actually, Larry ... I copied from word to word from TCM Website. Again, thanks for your kind words and all.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I watched several of the Joan Fontaine movies today and while I enjoyed them for the most part, I felt that showing "The Women" again (overshown on TCM) and "Ivanhoe" could have been scraped. These were not her movies....
I would have tried (very hard) to get "This Above All". "Jane Eyre", "Ivy" and "September Affair", as they were some of her starrers!!!

Also, I thought that Fontaine and O'Toole should have had their own days and not a split between them...

Larry
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't care a whole lot for Joan Fontaine, but I did watch a few of her movies, and O'Toole could easily have lived his life with never having made a movie and I would not have missed him. However, I agree on one point Larry made and that is that The Women has been way too much overplayed recently. Up to about 2 years ago, many people had never heard of it, then suddenly TCM started playing it but now it seems to be shown once a month at the very least. As much as I adore that movie, if I watched it every time it was on, I would be tired of it by now, so I don't usually tune in.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My Only Rant about the Joan Fontaine
Day is ...

Ivanhoe a 1952 Epic ...

At the time they about to burn Rebecca (Elizabeth Taylor) ... TCM went blank for 2 minutes or so in the movie and that was nearly at the end of this EPIC back in 1952 and I have been wanting to see this ending for a very long time and I missed it again because of this glitch. I was so mad at that and I have no control of this and having said that ... I had to let it go and not let it bother me. Oh well, you can't win them all ...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Rita Hayworth wrote:Ivanhoe a 1952 Epic ...At the time they about to burn Rebecca (Elizabeth Taylor) ... TCM went blank for 2 minutes or so in the movie and that was nearly at the end of this EPIC back in 1952 and I have been wanting to see this ending for a very long time and I missed it again because of this glitch. I was so mad at that and I have no control of this and having said that ... I had to let it go and not let it bother me. Oh well, you can't win them all ...
Ivanhoe is scheduled to be seen on TCM on Sunday, Feb. 23rd at 9:30 am (ET) again, Erik, allowing you to catch this movie in toto and verifying Larry's quibble about the frequent scheduling of certain movies. Oh, and Larry--the eternally fresh (to someone?!) film, The Women (1939) is on again on Thur., Jan. 16th at 8:00 pm (ET), just in case you want to make sure you are home to see this....once more :wink:

I would love to see TCM air September Affair (1950) since it is one of Joan Fontaine's best romantic performances opposite Joseph Cotten (I think this movie has been shown in the last two years on TCM).

This Above All is being aired on Mon., Feb. @ 10:00 am (ET), but availability on short notice may have precluded its being part of a day in tribute to the actress. I would also like to see Jane Eyre (1944), From This Day Forward (1946), Ivy (1947), A Letter From an Unknown Woman (1948), Something to Live For (1952) and Until They Sail (1957) on the schedule in tribute to Fontaine in the future.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You can never have too much of The Women! :D

Lines I never heard before jump out at me each time I watch, it's so dense with great one liners you can't possibly pick them all up, even if you seen it a humdred and eighty times.
"Remember the awful things they said about what's-her-name before she jumped out the window? See? I can't even remember her name so who cares?"
"Oh what a wonderful thing to see all our lives so settled! Temporarily... "
"Living alone has it's compensations, it's marvelous to spread out in bed like a swastika."
Exercise instructress: "Up, over. Up, down. Up, stretch! Up together."

Sylvia Fowler: "No more up. This is getting me down."

Exercise instructress: "Then rest a moment and relax your diaphram muscles." [under her breath] "If you can."
Nancy Blake: "You're so resourceful darling, I ought to go to you for plots."

Sylvia Fowler: "You ought to go to someone."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira,

I am dying for TCM to air Kiss the Blood Off My Hands, with Fontaine and Burt Lancaster in a doomed relationship somewhat similar in feel to They Live By Night. It's a super movie. I've also always wanted to see Ivy and Frenchmen's Creek.

As for Peter O'Toole, though TCM has been very good in the past at showing many of his films, I personally would like to see The Day They Robbed the Bank of England again, as well as Lord Jim, Night of the Generals (he's so creepy), Murphy's War, and The Stunt Man on TCM, as they have done before. I think it wouldn't hurt TCM to add Fairy Tale, A True Story to their backlog of movies, as it's in the spirit of classic film and is a charming movie. This true story is quite fascinating, with pretty much no resolution to the mystery of the fairy sitings and photographs even to this day, with one sister claiming they faked the photos, and the other sister claiming they did nothing of the kind. It's a movie well worth viewing.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sandy,

so sorry it took me this long to get back to you.

I had a crush on Tommy Steele when I saw Finian as a 6 year old. I just really wish sometimes I could go back and see the marvelous David Wayne play the role. I'm sure he was perfect, as usual.

I agree that the songs are completely lackluster in Scrooge and that Mr Magoo's version of A Christmas Carol is excellent. I have great memories of it, because it was the only time of year my parents would let us watch TV during dinner.

I absolutely love Jule Styne anyway, except for his best known song, People. Everything else he wrote is a winner, with loads of emotion if it's called for (Little Lamb is a heartbreaker, so is Distant Melody), humor (favorites are You Are Woman, You Gotta Get a Gimmick, and Have an Eggroll, Mr. Goldstone), and sheer power (Rain on My Parade, Rose's Turn). All I Need is the Girl is a dream of a song. Other Styne favorites are pretty much anything he wrote. The entire score of Peter Pan thrills me. Time After Time, Just in Time, Come Out, Come out, Wherever You Are, Every Street's a Boulevard, Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend, I Don't Want to Walk Without You, I'll Walk Alone, It's Magic, It's Been a Long Long Time, Make Someone Happy, The Christmas Waltz, and Put em in a Box, Tie em with a Ribbon (and Throw em in the Deep Blue Sea) are among the best, and for a long time I didn't know they were all written by the same man.

You made me laugh about Ginger's growling La Marseillaise! Too funny, it's awful, but at least they meant it to be. I think....
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Clarification:
I don't mind "The Women" (great movie) and "Ivanhoe" (wonderful epic) but my quibble about them on a 'Joan Fontaine tribute day' is that they are not her movies - even though she's a noted performer in them.....

Another film that could be shown is "Serenade" as it contains Sarita Montiel, who passed away recently also.

Also, I'm happy to know that Robert Osborne had nice things to say about her, even though rumour has it that he's in Olivia's camp regarding "that feud"....

Larry