The December 2013 Schedule on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Fred Astaire Star of the Month - 25 Movies and 1 Interview - On Wednesdays Nights

Classic Mobsters Wednesday December 3rd ... too and all the good movies on Turner Classic Movies.
Rita Hayworth

Re: The December 2013 Schedule on TCM

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Wednesday December 11th

8:00 PM
YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH (1941)

A Broadway dancing team splits up when the male dancer is drafted.

Dir: Sidney Lanfield Cast: Fred Astaire , Rita Hayworth , Robert Benchley .

9:45 PM
YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942)

An Argentine heiress thinks a penniless American dancer is her secret admirer.

Dir: William A. Seiter Cast: Fred Astaire , Rita Hayworth , Adolphe Menjou

Special Double Bill of Astaire and Hayworth on this day and doesn't matter how many times I watched them dance - I never, ever get tired of it. All times Eastern Standard Time.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here's the entire schedule for December at the link below. Just the thing to cheer up weary holiday shoppers and revelers alike:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.htm ... 2013-12-01
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charlestranberg

Post by charlestranberg »

Lots of good Christmas movies as usual on TCM. I'm looking forward to the night (12/19)they show several versions of 'A Christmas Carol' including the 1935 British version with Sir Seymour Hick and, my fave, the 1951 Alastair Sim version.
[color=#0040FF][b]Links:[/b][/color]
[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=682]Charles Tranberg's Latest Book: FREDRIC MARCH: A CONSUMMATE ACTOR[/url][/b][/color]

[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Tranberg/e/B009EECH7C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1382651629&sr=8-2]Charles Tranberg's Other Books[/url][/b][/color]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Masha, I've never heard of this movie before. Just for the setting alone it sounds amazing. Can't wait to see the interior, my mother in law talked about it for months after visiting some years ago.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am sorry Masha. Do you mean 'the children who grew up there' to be the Czar's children in the Winter Palace? or some children later on? I do know the Czar's children were brought up in spartan style, sleeping on cots, for instance, military style in plain surroundings. Forgive me for questioning, I am not very knowledgeable about what happened to the buildings after the demise of the royal family.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Wendy,

By all means see "The Russian Ark", as it is a brilliant film of passing through miriade rooms of The Hermitage and The Winter Palace.
I loved the reinactment of the presentation of the Shah's gift to Nicholas I and the Russian Court in St. George's Hall.
And later, the ball in The Nicholas Hall and the departure of the guests out through The Jordan Staircase (my favourite place on Earth!!).... This is at the end of the film.

In September, my group of 6 got to tour the private areas past The Malichite Room, where the family lived and it is more spartan than the public rooms. But still 'uppperclass areas', non the less.
The last Czar and his family did not live in The Winter Palace much however; they lived mostly in The Alexander Palace - 28 miles south of Saint Petersburg - and seldom came into the city. Nicholas and Alexandra were largely reclusive; and entertaining was left to his mother, The Dowager Empress (Maria Feodorovna) and The Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna (his aunt)...
They lived at The Anichkov Palace and The Vladimir Palace respectively.....

If you watch the movie, pay attention to the surroundings and not the main guy and his 'subtitled dialogue' as it's meant to be a philisophical debate about the Russian condition(s) that mean nothing to us...
You'll see many, many painting, sculptors and rooms that will leave you awe struct..

Enjoy, my dear!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Larry, I will!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

It is an incredible film. Not only is The Hermitage stunning, the technical innovation is as well. A 95-minute movie, covering 33 rooms, with hundreds of actors...and all done in a single take.

Hitchcock probably turned over in his grave.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Has everyone seen this movie but me? :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Has everyone seen this movie but me? :D
Maybe. :P I saw it several years ago and think that you would love it. It's beautifully done. It should still be on DVD if you can't see it on TCM.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh no, I'll be watching and maybe recording it. It sounds fascinating in so many ways.

Tomorrow morning, Friday, Dec. 6th, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse is going to be on at 6AM ET.