Margaret Hamilton Monday - Dec. 9th, 2013

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Margaret Hamilton Monday - Dec. 9th, 2013

Post by JackFavell »

I am so happy to announce that supporting actress Margaret Hamilton is getting an extremely well-deserved tribute from TCM all day Monday, December 9th, 2013.

Keep a weather eye out for the TCM interstitial, in which her son, Hamilton Meserve, talks about her role in The Wizard of Oz, and her great love of children. Her career goals started when she acted in children's plays for the Cleveland, Ohio Junior League. Bitten hard by the acting bug, Hamilton was convinced she could make it in theater, but her parents insisted she have a proper education, so she attended Wheelock College in Boston. When she graduated, she was a Kindergarten teacher and I'm sure she was a good one, since she possessed a calm, warm and winning personality.

Hamilton got her first real acting break in 1923, and made it to Broadway in 1933, creating the role of Helen Hallam in the play Another Language. She then reprised this role in Hollywood, in front of the camera, with stars Helen Hayes and Robert Montgomery taking the lead roles. TCM starts the day off with this film at 6AM ET.

In 1931, Ms. Hamilton married Paul Meserve, and gave birth to son Hamilton in 1936, but by 1937 her marriage was troubled. She and Meserve divorced. In order to support herself and her son, Margaret took any and all acting jobs Hollywood could dish out, and these were many, surprisingly thanks to her plain looks. She became known for her acid reactions and her spinster-like demeanor. This was as far from her true character as could be, but it gained her lots of work, and Margaret was happy to work in the career she had chosen.

ImageImage

Her parents came around to her way of thinking. Margaret never looked back, and branched out into radio and TV appearances too as times changed. As she aged, her roles became more diverse, and the spinster roles turned into kindly neighbors, nosy parkers, western ladies, and even a member of the Addams Family. She was never above making fun of her role as the most famous witch in film history. She was able to play much more interesting roles in several filmed-for-television plays. She was in two Christmas specials. Many will remember her appearance on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, explaining how she was not really the wicked witch of the west, but an actress playing the part. She was always concerned about children, and how they might feel about her most famous character. Here it looks like she's making a guest appearance on Bewitched, though I can find no mention of it on IMDB.

She also continued stage work throughout her career, most notably as the original Mrs. Arnheldt in A Little Night Music,in 1974.

I was fortunate enough to meet Margaret Hamilton in 1977, when she traveled to Michigan to conduct interviews for the Aljean Harmetz book The Making of the Wizard of Oz. She sat at a table with us, very informal, and discussed her career, and the movie that brought her the most fame. She said she much preferred theater to film or television, because on stage they can't cut out your part. :D She said that in theater, you always have your moment, and can make the most of your time there.

I think Hamilton made the most of her screen time as well. Her many roles may not show remarkable diversity, but we remember her and smile when she shows up. Her intensity is her triumph. She had a great way with a haughty line and a "Harrumph". In fact I think in her films she's practically the definition of the word "Harrumph". She was a wonderfully kind, warm woman, the sweetest I've ever met. I shed a tear when I saw that TCM was honoring her with a day of films.

MONDAY December 9th

6:00 AM

Another Language (1933)

A newlywed discovers that she and her husband's snobby family speak different languages.
Dir: Edward H. Griffith Cast: Helen Hayes , Robert Montgomery , Louise Closser Hale

BW-76 mins, TV-G

7:30 AM

Chatterbox (1936)

A country girl tries to talk her way into a stage career.
Dir: George Nicholls Jr. Cast: Anne Shirley , Phillips Holmes , Edward Ellis

BW-68 mins, TV-G

8:45 AM

Mountain Justice (1937)

A young lawyer defends a hillbilly girl who killed her father in self defense.
Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: Josephine Hutchinson , George Brent , Guy Kibbee

BW-83 mins, TV-G

10:15 AM

When's Your Birthday? (1937)

An astrologer trusts the stars to make him a championship boxer.
Dir: Harry Beaumont Cast: Joe E. Brown , Marian Marsh , Fred Keating

BW-74 mins, TV-G

11:45 AM

Mother Carey's Chickens (1938)

A widow with four children fights to keep her home.
Dir: Rowland V. Lee Cast: Anne Shirley , Ruby Keeler , James Ellison

BW-82 mins, TV-G

1:15 PM

Stablemates (1938)

A broken down veterinarian saves a stable boy's prize racehorse.
Dir: Sam Wood Cast: Wallace Beery , Mickey Rooney , Arthur Hohl

BW-90 mins, TV-G

3:00 PM

Meet the Stewarts (1942)

A socialite struggles to live on her blue-collar husband's salary.
Dir: Alfred E. Green Cast: William Holden , Frances Dee , Grant Mitchell

BW-74 mins, TV-G

4:30 PM

George White's Scandals (1945)

Two sets of lovers come together while working on a big musical.
Dir: Felix E. Feist Cast: Joan Davis , Jack Haley , Phillip Terry

BW-95 mins, TV-G

6:15 PM

13 Ghosts (1960)

A family inherits a house haunted by 13 ghosts and a living killer.
Dir: William Castle Cast: Charles Herbert , Jo Morrow , Martin Milner

BW-82 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format
Last edited by JackFavell on December 8th, 2013, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Margaret Hamilton Monday - Dec. 9th, 2013

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for the heads up and she is one of my favorite actresses too. Man, nice lineup of movies - I may have to set my DVR on most of them and watch a selected few. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm glad you like her, Erik.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks so much for pointing out this lineup, JF.

The three films below interest me because of Margaret H. as well as some of the casts and one of the directors. I am always interested in Phillips Holmes, Josephine Hutchinson, and Marian Marsh as performers. And Michael Curtiz is not the logical director for a story about hillbillies, but it would be interesting to see what he does here, (I believe that this trial drama was based on a real--and tragic--case of that period). Sometimes I like Curtiz's relatively "minor motion pictures" for the visual and storytelling ingenuity he brings to refresh the films. Seeing stuff like The Woman from Monte Carlo (1932), Alias the Doctor (1932), and Private Detective 62 (1933) taught me that there was always something about his movies, despite everything that might be off-kilter.

Chatterbox (1936)
A country girl tries to talk her way into a stage career.
Dir: George Nicholls Jr. Cast: Anne Shirley , Phillips Holmes , Edward Ellis
BW-68 mins, TV-G

8:45 AM
Mountain Justice (1937)
A young lawyer defends a hillbilly girl who killed her father in self defense.
Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: Josephine Hutchinson , George Brent , Guy Kibbee
BW-83 mins, TV-G

10:15 AM
When's Your Birthday? (1937)
An astrologer trusts the stars to make him a championship boxer.
Dir: Harry Beaumont Cast: Joe E. Brown , Marian Marsh , Fred Keating
BW-74 mins, TV-G
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hi Moira! Yes, I thought those looked the most promising as well, though I am curious about Meet the Stewarts.

One thing about Curtiz' earlier 1930's films, they move pretty well, so even if the script isn't as fleshed out as it might be, his movies are usually interesting and fun to watch.

Harry Beaumont also has a good track record, with some of Crawford's most famous silents and precodes, Broadway Melody (well...), and several of the Maisie movies.

George Nicholls, Jr. was an editor as well as a director, and his best known work is probably Anne of Green Gables, but I prefer The Story of Peter Grimm and Finishing School to his more famous movie.

All in all it looks like a fun day, and I am ALWAYS happy when a supporting player gets a day to themselves.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Yeah, Chatterbox will be on that day ... thanks for the post Moira and looks like I will be spending my day on Monday watching endless hours of Turner Classic Movies ... Since its a cold day that day - nice to stay in and keep warm watching TV!

Chatterbox is one of the movies that I wanted to see.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"MEET THE STEWARTS" is where I really first paid attention to FRANCES DEE ( sorry "Little Women." ) It's an innocuous little comedy...but you'll fall in love with Dee and young William Holden.

Great write up you give Ms. Hamilton!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Great tribute to the wonderful Margaret. Thanks.
I had no idea she played in A Little Night Music.that's quite a jump from the wicked witch!
Wish I had your TCM. The UK version is hopeless.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Maven, I knew you'd be watching Meet the Stewarts. It's funny, I never had heard of that film, and I thought I knew all William Holden's movies. I can see him with Dee in my mind's eye, they seem like a very good match. I had no idea you had seen the film before. Glad to hear it's a charming film.

Vienna, I had found out about Ms. Hamilton's appearance in A Little Night Music back in the seventies when I was barely a teen, so I guess it didn't really seem weird to me at the time. Now I realize how much Hamilton must have cherished that more humorous, elegant, complex and melancholy role. What amazes me is how grande she looks in the photo from the play. She was shorter than I was by the time I met her, and I'm 5' tall.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Wendy,

I'm so glad that you met a true STAR....
What a beautiful face; you can see the kindness in it and the luminous eyes - she is lovely...
I always enjoy her and all her other character performers - they make a movie!!! I will be watching tomorrow and I hope you will join me in a cup of hot cocoa and toast her on her way!!!!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I sure will, Larry! I'll get out the cocoa now so I have it at the ready! Here's to the supporting players! Let's clink glasses sometime tomorrow.

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

JackFavell wrote:Here it looks like she's making a guest appearance on Bewitched, though I can find no mention of it on IMDB.
Miss Hamilton did not appear on Bewitched. This photo is from her 1973 guest spot on The Partridge Family where she played Reuben Kinkaid's mother. :)
JackFavell wrote:I am ALWAYS happy when a supporting player gets a day to themselves.
I second that emotion. Although I don't watch television I know that most people do, and would love it if a 'certain somone' received a day to herself like Miss Hamilton's. :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

One more thing about Margaret Hamilton is that she is one of those rare birds that speaks so well on film and brings great joy to me when I watched her either in movies and in television. That's why I'm looking forward seeing some of her films tomorrow and would be hard pressed to post pictures of Rita Hayworth that day. Anyway, she is an amazing woman and a gifted speaker on film that brought me happiness throughout my life.

I just wanted to share this ...
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I know what you mean, RH. One need not be hearing-impaired to appreciate clarity of speech, so that it's not a chore to understand what the person is saying. [It's one of the traits I admire in AM's work. :) ]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

She still scares me!