The Friday Night Spotlight on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ChiO

Re: The Friday Night Spotlight on TCM

Post by ChiO »

Has TCM ever spotlighted (spotlit?) a theme of "One and Done" - directors who directed only one (or two) feature films?

WANDA - Barbara Loden
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER - Charles Laughton
DER VERLORENE - Peter Lorre
THE SAVAGE EYE - Ben Maddow, Sidney Meyers & Joseph Strick (may have directed others separately, but not with this joint credit)
THE STRANGE ONE & SOMETHING WILD - Jack Garfein (okay, he directed two, but it should have been more)

and, of course....

THE WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER - Timothy Carey

I'm sure there must be others that I'm not thinking of.

It could be a night of weeping about what might have been.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, I like that idea, ChiO! One and Done.

Marlon Brando - One Eyed Jacks

Herk Harvey - Carnival of Souls

Kerry Conran - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Dalton Trumbo - Johnny Got His Gun (I can't abide this movie, but it fits the theme)

Leonard Kastle - The Honeymoon Killers (I haven't seen it, but it looks cool)

I was thinking about this topic this morning and I thought it might be kind of nice to see some crew members talk about films from their perspective - most notably for me would be cameramen, or DP's. But I think it would be awesome to see some of the other crews get a month of films that highlight...oh say, sound design, set design, properties, special effects or even location managers and scouts.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Good idea about the one-time-only directors of films, guys. I would toss in Kotch (1971), directed by Jack Lemmon.

It is not a perfect film nor do I particularly care for Walter Matthau under five pounds of latex in the leading role of an elderly man. Having read recently in Charles Tranberg's bio that Fredric March was the original person chosen for that film, (health issues prevented his playing the part), it has made me realize how wonderfully naturalistic March could have been in that part of an old man in despair who finds meaning in helping a pregnant girl alone. Still, the story had moments of real poignancy.

Thinking of other films that I believe were also directed by actors going behind the camera only one time:

Doctor Faustus (1967) did not receive good reviews when released and seemed to be dismissed as a "Liz & Dick Do the Classics" movie. When I first saw it as a kid (it was probably way over my head), this single movie directed by Richard Burton made me read Christopher Marlowe, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Gypsy Girl (1965) directed by John Mills, who never really said he enjoyed the experience very much, was pretty good, though a bit disjointed at times. The film, which starred Hayley Mills, had a D.H. Lawrence-lite feel, and it featured some very good actors, Ian McShane and Laurence Naismith.

The Buccaneer (1958), directed by Anthony Quinn, who was apparently trying his hand behind the camera since Cecil B. DeMille was ill, and Tony hoped to prove himself multi-faceted. Working on a remake of his father-in-law's earlier '30s version of the tale of Jean Lafitte never quite worked but creaked enjoyably, with a fantastic cast, which included Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Charles Boyer, Claire Bloom (who was great fun as a pirate girl) and Inger Stevens, (who deserved much better roles) .
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Speaking of Walter Matthau and "One and Done": GANGSTER STORY (Walter Matthau 1959).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anyone mention Cagney's "Shortcut To Hell"?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Good one, Chris!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

THE BIG HEAT 1953
STARRING GLENN FORD

This is a very fast moving detective/film noir that a cop by the name of Bannion (by Ford) takes on powerful mobsters with an aid of a bad girl played by Gloria Grahame that keep you on your edge every step of the way. Lee Marvin was superb as Vince Stone and death followed his path. It was an excellent movie and I enjoyed it very much and one thing about this movie that Bannion was determined to find the answer of who killed his wife and then some. It was gritty, tough, and very powerful movie about corruption and crime. This is the first time I have seen this movie since early 90's and I have been wanting to see this movie since then. I enjoyed THE BIG HEAT (1953) starring Glenn Ford.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

"The Big Heat" was on a few afternoons ago and I watched it for the first time then.
It is fast paced and gritty and lethal; the characters didn't sit around talking about killing, they just shot first and analyzed later!!
And, poor Gloria Grahame - she was just a good time girl gone 'bad' but truthful - I loved how she kept needling Lee Marvin and even Alexander Scourby, the boss man.

Loved the penthouse set and Lagana's house with Celia Lovsky as the Mama in the painting - supervising everything from "on high"; and how Scourby didn't want anything to defile that house - it was a sanctuary still reigned over by his sainted Mama.....

Best of all was Jeanette Nolan - cold and such a sugar coated "widow"; she fairly drips sacchrine to Ford and then acid later to him. I can't help but think this was the best role dear Jeanette ever had...

SPOILER:
I especially love Gloria when she tells Jeanette, "We're the same, just sisters under the mink!" before she shoots her!!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Larry, you really nailed it for me here, I love that scene with the two 'sisters'... For me, Debbie (Gloria Grahame) is the hero of the movie.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Larry, I agree with you about The Big Heat being the pinnacle of Jeanette Nolan's film performances. She also had a good role in a Twilight Zone episode entitled "Jess-Belle" as a character named Granny Hart and played opposite James Best and Anne Francis.

Nolan's character in The Big Heat also reminded me a little of Agnes Moorehead as Madge Rapf in Dark Passage.

And the line," sisters under the mink," is one of my favorites!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Larry, Wendy, and Sue Sue for your insights on the Big Heat movie ... I agree with all of your assessments here and there ...
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Yes Christy, Jeanette and Agnes (Madge) could have been 'sisters under the mink'... I never thought of that - how clever of you!!!

Oh!! to resurrect these two and put them in a movie together, a la "Baby Jane" - both of them spitting vitriol & venom - I'd pay big bucks to see that!!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Me too! Great ideas, guys, if only in our imaginations.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Great ideas, guys, if only in our imaginations.
Oh, not necessarily just in our imaginations, Wendy. I think you might be surprised to know how many influential people are aware of this site's postings.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks