31 Days of Oscar 2014

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: 31 Days of Oscar 2014

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jezebel38 wrote:
kingrat wrote: The recent showing of It Started With Eve is the first Deanna Durbin movie I've ever seen, and it's easy to see why she was so popular.
Whoa - seriously Kingrat?? Not even Three Smart Girls? OK - I have to admit that up until last year I had only seen 3SG and 100 Men and a Girl; so I can agree and vouch that when one gets to see her other films, such as It Started With Eve, it is quite easy to see why she was so popular. So TCM is giving you, and all its viewers another chance to see Deanna on 4/30/14 when they will show It's A Date! where her co-stars are Kay Francis and Walter Pidgeon. I'll wager you will find it delightful!

Jezebel, It's Started with Eve is considered my favorite Deanna Durbin film and I also loved her in Three Smart Girls, Lady on the Train, Spring Parade, Because of Him, Something in the Wind, and her last film For the Love of Mary back in 1948. She has that sparkling personality that everyone adores.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I hear Mother Dolores Hart is a fabulous guest and can't wait to see her Guest Programmer stint. :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Wednesday, February 13th is a great day for TCM.

Loaded with great films and one film that's eluded me all these years and I have seen it once on Television and I just can't remember the last time I saw this all-star cast ... Incredible Talent Here!

V.I.P.S - The ... A 1963 Film starring

Elizabeth Taylor ... as Frances Andros
Richard Burton ... as Paul Andros
Louis Jourdan ... as Marc Champselle
Elsa Martinelli ... as Gloria Gritti
Margaret Rutherford ... The Duchess of Brighton
Maggie Smith ... as Miss Mead
Rod Taylor ... as Les Mangrum
Orson Welles ... as Max Buda
Linda Christian ... as Miriam Marsh

It's on at 7:30 PM Pacific and 10:30 Eastern on Turner Classic Movies.

I just can't wait to see this film! :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

THE GUARDSMAN is on Thursday night, February 27th at 11:00 PM ET.

This is the only film that famous stage actors Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne made together. It's hilarious, quite close to black comedy at times, and gives a small inkling of how the Lunts worked together. Hammy, stagey, but in the MOST delightful way. I highly recommend it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:I'm pleased that King Rat is being shown in West Coast prime time tonight, and will record it to see what the intro is like. The evening features nominees for Black & White Art Direction--Ship of Fools, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, A Patch of Blue, and The Slender Thread are the other nominees and will also be shown.
Hey, it's not only a night for great black and white art direction, but we also have a chance to see double features for both Oskar Werner and Sidney Poitier. Thanks for the heads up, King Rat.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

TCM unveiled Robert O's "new living room" set last night.

Seems some redecorating has been done, including swapping out the familiar red chairs.

Be sure to check out Robert O's intros/outros to see the new digs!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have mixed feelings about that, Lynn! The old set was so tasteful and comfortable looking. But of course I can't wait to see the new furnishings...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hmmm, wouldn't it be great if they could auction the comfy old red chairs off for charity? With the cash to go to something worthy like The Film Foundation? Or...maybe even have TCM fans write essays about why they want them.

Man, if they ever auction off the small black reading lamp made from a griffin that shows up in the background on a desk, I will be there up front with my $1.70! Okay. Make it a ten spot.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Regarding the post that mentioned The V.I.P.s: Even when I saw it as a young girl who was still terribly hooked on movie stars like Liz and Dick, my favorite characters in the whole movie were Rod Taylor and Maggie Smith. I loved Liz and Dick, and Louis Jourdan, but once Maggie and Rod came on screen, I couldn't wait for them to reappear. ET's clothing was spectacular as usual but she was really gorgeous in this film. When she cut her hand on the mirror, all I could think of was, "Oh no, don't get any blood on that lingerie". I've seen it several times since that first time, and Rod and Maggie still stand out for me. They are so cute together, and I wanted to hit him on the head and yell "Wake Up Dope". So happy when they seemed to be getting together finally at the end. I don't think that's a spoiler because I'm sure we're all on to these writers tricks by now.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MIGHTY JOE YOUNG 1949 FILM

The main reason for me to watch this movie is the amazing special effects that was created by stop-motion special effects by Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen that still continues to hold up well after all these years. I know most of you are aware (I'm watching it with the color effects right now of where Ben Johnson and Terry Moore) are saving the children from burning building shows how thrilling it is to watch.

This is one of my favorite scenes in this movie, Terry Moore playing Beautiful Dreamer ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mOdWLG4bNU

It's a delightful film and I never get tired of watching it.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Anne,

I liked Rod and Maggie very much also.
At this time, I met and had lunch at The Brown's Hotel in London with Linda Christian, who was scheduled to appear in this picture.. She had met Maggie Smith but not Rod Taylor yet, so was interested in anything I knew about him. I told her he was a friend of Elizabeth Taylor's and had appeared in one of her movies some years back - Agnes Moorehead was in it too, so that's all I knew!
Never saw Linda again!!!!!

I thought Maggie Smith did the best acting in that film and Margaret Rutherford stole the picture from everyone - thankfully, she got her Oscar finally...

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:You might like to check out the Absolutely Amazing Image thread under General Discussions on the TCM website, which is a discussion of matte painting with a link to a website with pictures of matte paintings. There are some wonderful examples of the artistry of those who worked behind the scenes.
Many of these dazzling images are drawn from a remarkable blog called Matte Shot - A Tribute to Golden Era Special Fx

Warning: if you visit, you may want to stay there for far too long!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks