The March 2014 Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: The March 2014 Schedule for TCM

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Mary Astor Dodsworth

[youtube][/youtube]

This scene - I wished the YouTube Clip was another minute longer - but this is the scene that I wanted to see tonight and its warms my heart and romance was enduring. This is a great movie and I loved sincerity and love that went into it. A great vehicle for Mary Astor, Ruth Chatterton, Paul Lukas, and Walter Huston as Sam Dodsworth. One of the greatest (of the first decade of sounded movies) movies ever made - and that's why I wanted to watch tonight.

Mary Astor - to me this is one of her better and convincing roles to date. I loved her as Mrs. Edith Cortwright.
Brian McFadden

Post by Brian McFadden »

Thank you so much, Masha, for reminding me to tune in next Saturday for The Plot Thickens. I loved the Withers movies, but I always thought Edna May Oliver was best in the part and Murder on a Honeymoon was the best film in the series, with its on-location shooting at Catalina. It's been so long since I've seen Thickens that I don't really remember it too well. I think I liked this one, but wasn't too crazy about Forty Naughty Girls. Again, many thanks for the reminder.
Brian
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

We are glad you are here, Brian!

A special tribute to America's Sweetheart, Shirley Temple, starts this afternoon at 4:30! To read more about it, follow the link:
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/961276
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

A special tribute to America's Sweetheart, Shirley Temple
HI Miss Applegate.. I am so glad they did this.. What a nice way to honor her. I even got to watch a "new" Shirley (at least new to me, ha) I had never seen (or heard of Stow Away" before and I L-O-V-E loved it. Sweet little movie. I caught the ending of Bright Eyes.. (I THINK I had seen this one before, but so long ago, I barely remembered.. wish I could have caugh the whole thing) (missed most of it though, alas)

And now am just settling in to enjoy The Little Princess.. always among my faves for her, and haven't seen it in a while, so am looking forward to it. Not a bad way to wrap up a weekend, if I do say so. (and I DO) :)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

THE MIGHTY ROMAN

The dark and lovely RUTH ROMAN is featured today on TCM. Her name might not always be on the tip of our tongue, but there's no arguing Roman gives consistently good performances. Most times she's a strong tough dame...and I wouldn't have her any other way.

6:00 AM - ALWAYS LEAVE THEM LAUGHING (1949) - A vaudeville clown neglects his family while fighting for stardom. Dir: Roy Del Ruth Cast:  Milton Berle , Virginia Mayo , Ruth Roman. BW-116 mins.

8:00 AM - THE WINDOW (1949) - A boy who always lies witnesses a murder but can't get anyone but the killer to believe him. Dir: Ted Tetzlaff Cast:  Barbara Hale , Arthur Kennedy , Paul Stewart. BW-74 mins.

9:30 AM - BARRICADE (1950) - Two fugitives try to prove the head of a mining camp is a murderer. Dir: Peter Godfrey Cast:  Dane Clark , Raymond Massey , Ruth Roman. C-75 mins.

11:00 AM - COLT .45 (1950) - A gun salesman tracks down the outlaws who stole his sample case. Dir: Edwin L. Marin Cast: Randolph Scott, Ruth Roman , Zachary Scott. C-74 mins.

12:30 PM - DALLAS (1950) - A renegade Confederate officer tries to hide his identity while bringing law and order to the West. Dir: Stuart Heisler Cast:  Gary Cooper , Ruth Roman , Steve Cochran. C-94 mins.

2:15 PM - LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE (1951) - An actress champions the cause of a man whom she believes has been falsely accused of murdering his wife. Dir: King Vidor Cast:  Ruth Roman , Richard Todd , Mercedes McCambridge . BW-90 mins.

4:00 PM - STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951) - A man's joking suggestion that he and a chance acquaintance trade murders turns deadly. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock Cast:  Farley Granger , Ruth Roman , Robert Walker. BW-101 mins.

6:00 PM - THE FAR COUNTRY (1955) - Two cowboys on the road to Alaska help a wagon train in trouble. Dir: Anthony Mann Cast:  James Stewart , Ruth Roman , Corinne Calvet.C-97 mins. Letterbox Format.

3:45 AM - INVITATION (1952) - A millionaire tries to buy his dying daughter a husband. Dir: Gottfried Reinhardt Cast:  Van Johnson Dorothy McGuire , Ruth Roman. BW-85 mins.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Two Shirley Temple Movies that I wanted to see ...

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Socker - 1947 Film

Starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Shirley Temple ... I find this film very cute and amusing one to see and I was surprised by the chemistry between GRANT and TEMPLE in this movie and the reason for me to bring this movie to your attention is that this is the first time I ever seen this delightful comedy back in 1947. A charming and delightful comedy and I also like the way Myrna Loy's interaction with Shirley in this movie as well and its has a good supporting cast led by Rudy Vallee, Ray Collins, Lillian Randolph, and Harry Davenport too.

Main Cast of this The Bachelor and the Bobby-Socker

A Kiss for Corliss - 1949 Film

According to IMDb - Trivia ... This was Shirley Temple's last film and her only starring feature since 1934 which did not receive a contemporary New York Times review. It is so sad that the New York Times did not give her last film a review and because of that - I was stunned by learning this. I find her last film appearance a heartwarming and genuine and her work with David Niven and Tom Tully was marvelous. I just loved this family film and I wished it was on earlier so that everyone can enjoy this film.

Picture of Shirley Temple in her last Movie ...
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Rohanaka, I really enjoyed the Shirley Temple tribute, and I had forgotten that Marcia Mae Jones had played kind, wheelchair-bound Clara in Heidi and that nasty Lavinia in The Little Princess. As a little girl watching Heidi, the psychological lesson I extrapolated from Heidi taught me to focus on being a happy, kind child so that if I had a friend like Clara, I could heal her, and I think some of the remnants of those thoughts linger in me to this day. It always amazes me how entertainment filmed in 1937 still remains with me, sometimes on a daily basis, and may currently affect my behavior

Investigating a little about Marcia Mae Jones revealed that she had a very lengthy career in film and television, from 1926 to 1983, and playing Clara and Lavinia in the late 30s illuminated her ability even then. She was even in The Way We Were!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

GUILTY PLEASURE ALERT! GUILTY PLEASURE ALERT!

4:30 PM - YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE (1964) - A novelist exercises a powerful spell over every woman he meets. Dir: Delmer Daves. Cast:  James Franciscus, Suzanne Pleshette, Geneviève Page. BW-137 mins.

“Youngblood Hawke” will be on TCM this Thursday afternoon. I wouldn’t label it a “BAD-MOVIE-YOU-LOVE.” I think it’s a hoot...in a good way. And there’s lots of good stuff in there which was discussed almost three years ago here. I put this in the glossy, though black 'n white, category of "THE BEST OF EVERYTHING" where we see a person's adventure here in the big bad city trying to make a success of it. I like how TCM’s description says Franciscus 'exercises a powerful spell over every woman he meets.' If you check it out, you’ll be the judge of that. They certainly gave him interesting actresses to work with. ( Genevieve Page and Suzanne Pleshette. ) I always thought he was a sincere actor. ( ...Yeah, and a cutie pie. )

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

FYI: The photo of Franciscus and Pleshette with the NYC skyline in the background was filmed on the Promenade over in Brooklyn Heights. ( He’s told an apartment there would cost $65.00 a month. ) Brooklyn Heights is one of Brooklyn’s toniest neighborhoods. Now...fifty years later, you couldn’t get a closet there for $65 bucks.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

While we may like to remember William Powell for his deft way with a line and a look, "the romance of commerce" rears its not-so-lovely head as TCM celebrates some less well known films with the actor all day Wednesday, listed below. One of my faves, "High Pressure" (1933), is the source of that demure pic of Mr. P. Looking forward to seeing Ruth Donnelly mooning after Bill in Private Detective 62 today....(all times shown are ET)

6:15 AM
ONE WAY PASSAGE (1932)

An ocean voyage leads to romance for a dying heiress and a condemned criminal.
Dir: Tay Garnett Cast: William Powell , Kay Francis , Aline MacMahon .
BW-68 mins, CC,

7:30 AM
HIGH PRESSURE (1932)

A scheming promoter tries to get rich selling artificial rubber.
Dir: Mervyn LeRoy Cast: William Powell , Evelyn Brent , George Sidney .
BW-73 mins, CC,

8:45 AM
PRIVATE DETECTIVE 62 (1933)

A private eye in Paris falls for the beautiful gambling lady he's investigating.
Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: William Powell , Margaret Lindsay , Ruth Donnelly .
BW-66 mins,

10:00 AM
RENDEZVOUS (1935)

A decoding expert tangles with enemy spies.
Dir: William K. Howard Cast: William Powell , Rosalind Russell , Binnie Barnes .
BW-94 mins, CC,

11:45 AM
RECKLESS (1935)

A theatrical star gets in over her head when she marries a drunken millionaire.
Dir: Victor Fleming Cast: Jean Harlow , William Powell , Franchot Tone .
BW-97 mins, CC,

1:30 PM
EMPEROR'S CANDLESTICKS, THE (1937)

Spies on opposite sides fall in love in pre-revolutionary Russia.
Dir: George Fitzmaurice Cast: William Powell , Luise Rainer , Robert Young .
BW-89 mins, CC,

3:00 PM
I LOVE YOU AGAIN (1940)

A solid married man discovers he's forgotten a past existence as a con artist.
Dir: W. S. Van Dyke II Cast: William Powell , Myrna Loy , Frank McHugh .
BW-99 mins, CC,

4:40 PM
INFLATION (1942)

In this wartime short film, the Devil assists Hitler in causing mischief with the U.S. economy.
Dir: Cy Endfield Cast: Edward Arnold , Esther Williams , Barbara Bedford .
BW-17 mins,

5:00 PM
HEAVENLY BODY, THE (1943)

An astronomer's neglected wife takes up astrology and a handsome astrologer.
Dir: Alexander Hall Cast: William Powell , Hedy Lamarr , James Craig .
BW-95 mins, CC,

6:45 PM
GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING, THE (1953)

A criminal lawyer's daughter falls for one of his clients.
Dir: Richard Thorpe Cast: Elizabeth Taylor , Fernando Lamas , William Powell .
BW-70 mins, CC,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well Masha, we can’t say we didn’t have our bases covered with Mary here reminding folks about this. ( I've got to get to the other two films quick. ) I watched "The Murder of Dr. Harrigan" and thought it was a okay. I'd rather see Ricardo be a woman-beating cad, but he showed he could play nice too, as the nice doctor here. Wish they would have switched Mary's role with the leading lady; that gal was a drip. But it was a nice and neat murder mystery. And the man on the slab...interesting movie choice.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Don't feel like facing the world on Wednesday? Why not join TCM to celebrate Betty Compson's 117th birthday all day on Wed., March 19th with a flurry of early talkies? Go on...call in sick. The American GDP won't suffer (will it?):

Here's the lineup (All times shown are ET). Wish TCM could show her two best movies, both from 1928--The Barker and The Docks of New York:

6:45 AM
MAKE ME A STAR (1932)
A grocery clerk goes to Hollywood in search of fame and fortune.
Dir: William Beaudine Cast: Joan Blondell , Stuart Erwin , ZaSu Pitts .
BW-86 mins,

8:15 AM
ON WITH THE SHOW (1929)
An inexperienced newcomer steps in for a musical comedy's ailing star.
Dir: Alan Crosland Cast: Betty Compson , Louise Fazenda , Sally O'Neil .
C-104 mins,

10:15 AM
STREET GIRL (1929)
A girl from the wrong part of town finds a new life managing a jazz band.
Dir: Wesley Ruggles Cast: Betty Compson , John Harron , Ned Sparks .
BW-87 mins,

11:45 AM
WEARY RIVER (1929)
A jailed criminal's life turns around when he fronts the prison band.
Dir: Frank Lloyd Cast: Richard Barthelmess , Betty Compson , Louis Natheaux .
BW-89 mins,

1:15 PM
INSIDE THE LINES (1930)
During World War I, German spies stop at nothing to spy on the allied war plans stored at Gibraltar.
Dir: Roy J. Pomeroy Cast: Betty Compson , Ralph Forbes , Montagu Love .
BW-72 mins,

2:45 PM
GAY DIPLOMAT, THE (1931)
A Russian diplomat takes on a notorious female spy in Bucharest.
BW-67 mins,

4:00 PM
LADY REFUSES, THE (1931)
A millionaire hires an out-of-work girl to lure his son from a gold digger.
Dir: George Archainbaud Cast: Betty Compson , John Darrow , Gilbert Emery .
BW-72 mins, CC,

5:15 PM
THREE WHO LOVED (1931)
A bank teller's love life falls apart when he's accused of embezzling.
Dir: George Archainbaud Cast: Betty Compson , Conrad Nagel , Robert Ames .
BW-64 mins, CC,

6:30 PM
MAD YOUTH (1939)
A conflict between a mother and daughter forces the daughter into a prostitution ring.
Dir: Melville Shyer Cast: Mary Ainslee , Betty Compson , Willy Castello .
BW-63 mins, CC,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

March 23rd - Bergman and Grant's Movies - Times are Eastern

8:00 PM

Indiscreet (1958)
A tycoon pretends to be married while courting a beautiful actress

D: Stanley Donen. Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Cecil Parker, Phyllis Calvert, David Kossoff, Megs Jenkins. Bergman is renowned actress whom American playboy Grant romances and can't forget. Delightful comedy from Norman Krasna play Kind Sir. Made in England. Remade as a 1988 TVM with Robert Wagner and Lesley-Anne Down.

10:00 PM

Notorious (1946)
A U.S. agent recruits a German expatriate to infiltrate a Nazi spy ring in Brazil.

D: Alfred Hitchcock. Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, Louis Calhern, Leopoldine Konstantin, Reinhold Schunzel, Moroni Olsen. Top-notch espionage tale by Ben Hecht, set in post-WW2 South America, with Ingrid marrying spy Rains to aid U.S. and agent Grant. Frank, tense, well acted, with amazingly suspenseful climax (and one memorably passionate love scene). Remade for cable TV in 1992.

Looking forward seeing these films and I will be watching them for the first time in Closed Captioning ... I just loved the pairing of Bergman and Grant here.