July 2014 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: July 2014 TCM Schedule

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Looking forward seeing these two movies tonight - and first time in Closed Captioning ... I believe so?
All times are Eastern ...

8:00 PM
Cat People (1942)

9:30 PM
Curse of the Cat People, The (1944)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I saw two movies on TCM tonight ...

8:00 PM
Cat People (1942)

I enjoyed this movie very much and I would recommend this delightful suspenseful movie that combines these three elements just beautifully ... Mystery, Horror, and Thriller that was beautifully crafted by Jacques Tourneur that's keeps me on the edge of my seat.

9:30 PM
Curse of the Cat People, The (1944)

I was disappointed in this movie because I thought it was going to be a follow up of CAT PEOPLE that was came out in 1942. Because of that it was a family drama movie that did not do me any justice by watching it. I stopped watching the movie nearly half over and did not care for it at all.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I agree, Erik. Today I enjoy the movie on its own merits but for one to think that with its title it's going to be a "horror" sequel to the original . . . it comes as quite a shock and disappointment. Apparently Lewton wanted to release the film under a more mundane (and ultimately accurate title) but RKO was insistent on marketing the picture as a scare flick. I remember as a young'un watching this on our Saturday night Chiller expecting a full bag of fright and ending up as discouraged as I was when I saw CURUCU BEAST OF THE AMAZON. Both films a cheat for a hungry horror kid.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Despite the title, I believe that The Curse of the Cat People is one of the best films about the world as seen from the POV of a child. Lewton had no choice about the title, but thank goodness he went in a much more creative direction, creating this haunting work.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Cossacks are coming! The Cossacks are coming!

The Cossacks (1928) are coming to TCM! NOT ON VIDEO or DVD! This movie is being aired on TCM at 11:45 am (ET) on 7-29-14.

Loved this loopy, magnificently mad movie when I saw part of it last time this wild, Russian reverie (with contemporary echoes even today) was on TCM a few months ago. Based--very loosely--on Tolstoy's semi-autobiographical novel, this movie was directed by George Roy Hill (Tell It To the Marines, The Big House) and an uncredited Clarence Brown, with a script by Frances Marion & John Colton.

John Gilbert as a tender-hearted Cossack must prove his inner toughness to please his father, the head man (Ernest Torrance). The cast also includes Renée Adorée (apparently wearing that same damn headscarf from The Big Parade), and Nils Asther, who is suave, swoonworthy and an aristocratic skunk from Moscow.

Don't miss the party scenes in this extravaganza--esp. when the Cossacks (or visiting cowboys from a wild west show?) start to dance and do tricks on horseback. You might want to look away when Ernest Torrance & Gilbert get captured and tortured--but hey, it's quite a show overall.

More here: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/756/The- ... icles.html

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Could anyone tell me if they recorded The Cossacks (1928)?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Could anyone tell me if they recorded The Cossacks (1928)?

I wanted to watch this movie today and I miss everything because of other commitments and I wished I have seen this. I wished I did Moria! And, forgot to record this gem back in 1928!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, Erik. I'm hoping that this is due for a Warner Archive DVD-r soon.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Thanks, Erik. I'm hoping that this is due for a Warner Archive DVD-r soon.
That's would be great ... I will keep my eye out for it ... appreciate this news here.