TCM Premieres....

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: TCM Premieres....

Post by CinemaInternational »

Ugly American is definitely one of Brando's strongest films.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Here are the TCM premieres for May, as determined by the TCM schedules database.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.

May 1 - Moon Zero Two (1969)
May 3 - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
May 6 - The Tong-Man (1919)
May 11 - Synecdoche, New York (2008)
May 14 - Breathless (1983)
May 17 - The Murder of Mary Phagan (1988)
May 18 - Take Aim at the Police Van (1960) (Noir Alley, 2 showings)
May 26 - The Cold Blue (2018)
May 30 - Switching Channels (1988)
May 31 - The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings (1976)
May 31 - Scott Joplin (1977)

For additional details, please refer to my TCM schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

The 1983 remake of Breathless is the one where Richard Gere shows off the family jewels. That's all I remember about it!

Bingo Long is one I'd like to see.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

TCM Imports...
late SUN., 4-28

(times ET)

2:00
am

The Seventh Continent (1989)
1h 51m | Drama

The film chronicles three years in the life of an Austrian family, which consists of Georg, an engineer; his wife Anna, an optometrist; and their young daughter, Eva. They lead a seemingly routine urban middle-class life, but are actually planning something sinister....

Director
Michael Haneke
Cast
Birgit Doll, Dieter Berner, Leni Tanzer
"...The film was awarded Bronze Leopard at the Locarno International Film Festival and the prize for Best Application of Music and Sound in Film at the Ghent International Film Festival.[5]
It has a weighted average of 89/100 on Metacritic...
The film was selected as the Austrian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 62nd Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven ... 1989_film)

4:00
am

Benny's Video (1992)
1h 45m | Crime | TV-MA

A 14-year-old video enthusiast obsessed with violent films decides to make one of his own and show it to his parents, with tragic results...

Director
Michael Haneke
Cast
Arno Frisch, Angela Winkler, Ulrich Muhe

"....Stephen Holden of The New York Times praised the film, writing: "What gives the film a chilly authenticity is the creepy performance of Arno Frisch in the title role. Cool and unsmiling, with a dark inscrutable gaze, his Benny is the apotheosis of what the author George W. S. Trow has called "the cold child," or an unfeeling young person whose detachment and short attention span have been molded by television. Or in other words, Mr. Trow adds, "A sadist."...
Eric Henderson, reviewing the film for Slant Magazine in 2006, derided it, deeming it "a smug, contemptuous, passive-aggressive attack on the dehumanizing effects of media, without even the common decency to offer shrill sensationalism to punch up its subsequently feckless, reactionary, pomo assertions."[9]

As of July 2023, the film has a 64% approval rating on the internet review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes,[10] and a 60/100 on Metacritic...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny%27s_Video
:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I feel the same way, Mr 6. I saw the plot synopsis to both on the tv and they sound like crass smut. I might catch them but doubt I will like them that much.
CinemaInternational

Haneke's films are some of the most merciless in the world. His films have featured such subjects as torture, rape, murder, euthanasia. His films have no levity, no warmth, no relief from the dour qualities. Which makes him highly esteemed in current art-house circles, which seemingly thrive on the unattractive elevation of nihilism.

His film Amour was up for Best Picture in 2012.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Amour is fantastic film with Trintignant and Isabelle Huppert in a small role as the daughter.I do not know if TCM will be adventurous enough to show The Piano Teacher with Huppert again (she is the world's greatest film actress ) .I have seen severa of Haneke's films, they were all memorable Regarding the P Teacher unfortunately for Huppert and Haneke the distributor forgot to register the film for the Oscar competition,they cleqaned up everywhere else in the world...
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

nakanosunplaza wrote: April 29th, 2024, 4:13 pm Amour is fantastic film with Trintignant and Isabelle Huppert in a small role as the daughter.I do not know if TCM will be adventurous enough to show The Piano Teacher with Huppert again (she is the world's greatest film actress ) .I have seen severa of Haneke's films, they were all memorable Regarding the P Teacher unfortunately for Huppert and Haneke the distributor forgot to register the film for the Oscar competition,they cleqaned up everywhere else in the world...
The Piano Teacher is the only film that made me faint. I saw it in London at the Curzon Soho on my day of arrival from Dallas. I was trying to stay up to my normal bedtime, so I looked up in Time Out magazine the films showing and chose this one. It had only been out a week or two.

The combination of jet lag and subject matter made me pass out. Luckily I was in a seat that was up against the wall. I came to a few minutes later, popcorn box on the floor.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 27th, 2024, 8:36 am The 1983 remake of Breathless is the one where Richard Gere shows off the family jewels. That's all I remember about it!

Yes, that was unusual for a male star at the time. Still is.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: April 30th, 2024, 9:21 am
kingrat wrote: April 27th, 2024, 8:36 am The 1983 remake of Breathless is the one where Richard Gere shows off the family jewels. That's all I remember about it!

Yes, that was unusual for a male star at the time. Still is.
Yes, was going to say that I never saw the Breathless remake, but I remember hearing that both Gere and his leading lady were both nude in the film. I recall an old comment on the IMDb boards referring to Gere's *ahem* anatomy saying that "Little Richard" got a lot of screentime in the film.

It was actually the second time Gere did such a thing, after American Gigolo in 1980. But Jan-Michael Vincent, Gerard Depardieu, and Robert De Niro all did such a thing before he did.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Fans of 50’s and 60’s sci-fi should enjoy the daytime lineup on TCM tomorrow (Wednesday, May 1).

Included is the TCM premiere of the Hammer film Moon Zero Two (1969) at 11:15 AM ET

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064691/

A detailed summary (with spoilers):

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2 ... dity-baby/
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

FRI., 5-3

10:00
pm (ET)

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" (1988)
1h 50m | Comedy

a remake of the 1964 film Bedtime Story, whose co-writers Stanley Shapiro and Paul Henning received screen credit for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, along with writer Dale Launer.
Set on the French Riviera, the film stars Steve Martin and Michael Caine as two con men competing to swindle an heiress (Glenne Headly) out of $50,000.
Director
Frank Oz
Cast
Steve Martin, Michael Caine, Glenne Headly

"According to the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 89% of critics gave the film a positive review based on 44 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10. The site's critics consensus called the movie "buoyant [and] clever" and praised Caine and Martin's chemistry.[10]
At Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 68 out of 100 based on 14 critics, indicating generally favorable reviews.[11] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B+" on an A+ to F scale.[12]

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote that while the film was predictable, Martin and Caine's chemistry was enjoyable and "Headly provides a resilient foil."[13] Variety called it "wonderfully crafted" and "absolutely charming" and praised the editing and music....."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Rot ... els_(film)

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ziggy6708a wrote: Yesterday, 10:34 am FRI., 5-3

pm (ET)

1h 50m | Comedy

a remake of the 1964 film Bedtime Story, whose co-writers Stanley Shapiro and Paul Henning received screen credit for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, along with writer Dale Launer.
Set on the French Riviera, the film stars Steve Martin and Michael Caine as two con men competing to swindle an heiress (Glenne Headly) out of $50,000.
Director
Frank Oz
Cast

"According to the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 89% of critics gave the film a positive review based on 44 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10. The site's critics consensus called the movie "buoyant [and] clever" and praised Caine and Martin's chemistry.[10]
At Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 68 out of 100 based on 14 critics, indicating generally favorable reviews.[11] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B+" on an A+ to F scale.[12]

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote that while the film was predictable, Martin and Caine's chemistry was enjoyable and "Headly provides a resilient foil."[13] Variety called it "wonderfully crafted" and "absolutely charming" and praised the editing and music....."

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was turned into a musical. For his role as Freddy, Norbert Leo Butz won his first Tony Award. He second Tony was for another musicalized film: Catch Me If You Can. Here's Norbert as Freddy, with John Lithgow as Lawrence:

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: Yesterday, 11:43 am
ziggy6708a wrote: Yesterday, 10:34 am FRI., 5-3

pm (ET)

1h 50m | Comedy

Director
Frank Oz
Cast

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was turned into a musical. For his role as Freddy, Norbert Leo Butz won his first Tony Award. He second Tony was for another musicalized film: Catch Me If You Can. Here's Norbert as Freddy, with John Lithgow as Lawrence:

There's the prototypical example of the "I want" song! It's right there for all to see (or hear).