I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:50 am AND if you were a child of the 80s or 90s, you also ran the risk of HAVING YOUR DAD TAPE OVER IT WITH GOLF OR NASCAR.
LMREO!!!!!!!!!! True!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 7:57 am
That is one ugly car!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:52 am SO THEN YOU'D PULL THAT LITTLE BLACK TAB ON THE BOTTOM LEFT SIDE OF THE TAPE SO IT COULDN'T BE RECORDED OVER.
SO THEN HE'D GO AND PUT DUCT TAPE OVER IT- which meant IT COULD BE.

And the battle raged on...

(I know some of you know what I am talking about)
YES! I REMEMBER THAT TRICK!!!!! :D
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

For those of you who might like to see two attractive young men making out to some beautiful music, I recommend going to YouTube to find a video that uses John Barrowman's recording of "Unusual Way" to a clip from a Brazilian film. No total nudity, no mimed sex, nothing twisted. "Unusual Way" from NINE is such a beautiful, haunting song.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:02 am ...
I wish modern interpretations of both GAY STORIES and HISTORICAL DRAMAS didn't have to be filled with SADISTIC DUPLICITY AND BACKSTABBING AND OBSESSION AND MEANINGLESS ENNUI ABOUT TRANSACTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS AND EMOTIONALLY DETATCHED THREESOMES...

i will admit, it's titillating, but real gay life is already filled with all the pain and intrigues of THE KREMLIN, sometimes I just wanna see a nice love story where two people who where born in the same decade meet and work things out (or not) and no one has to DIE VIOLENTLY or be BETRAYED ON A GRANDIOSE BAROQUE AND TWISTEDLY PERVERSE LEVEL.
I watched a lot of the sex scenes though.
Hoo boy.
Also JULIANNE MOORE needs to stop messing with her face. i know it's wrong to say that but i said it, come for me. she looks BOTOXED TO THE GILLS and any woman looking LIKE THAT in 1612 at her age (or any age) would be BURNED AT THE STAKE.
And maybe rightly so....
I guess court intrigue includes duplicity. I think much of the script is low, and implausible. I assume it's inspired by THE FAVOURITE, visiting historical times to explore the GOSSIP. There remains plenty about JAMES I. The actor playing the king is... fantastic!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:50 am AND if you were a child of the 80s or 90s, you also ran the risk of HAVING YOUR DAD TAPE OVER IT WITH GOLF OR NASCAR.
Also, there was a risk of accidentally recording something in the middle of something else you wanted to keep because you quickly grabbed a VHS tape without a label.

So that Nada Surf's video for "Popular" video becomes a permanent part of your recording of an episode of 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN.

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I remember this scene! Made me laugh.

In a similar Edsel vein, I had to laugh at one of the later episodes of the (all-too-short-lived) early 1990s series Brooklyn Bridge, which was set in 1956 and 1957. One supporting character was a cynical middle-aged bachelor who ran a candy store, and in the one episode, he bought an Edsel to impress the ladies.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Some of you may find this interesting.

(I know massive, boneheaded, corporate mistakes usually peak my interest)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Who would name their son EDSEL???? He was cursed from birth!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I love this movie. I own the soundtrack. I love KATHLEEN TURNER. I saw her on Broadway... you might be surprised how much! :smiley_shades:
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

I just watched The Young Lions.

About the ending...
Do you just shoot someone coming out of the woods before you see if they are armed or not? And after you kill them, do you just leave the body there without checking for identification? These guys are just walking along the road, so it's not like they are under fire. Did Han Solo shoot first?
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:59 am

Yes. Never liked Hazel, even as a kid! Perry needed that extra power to move him along.
Especially in the later seasons when he had put on quit a few pounds.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Andree wrote: April 25th, 2024, 10:28 pm
Hibi wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:59 am

Yes. Never liked Hazel, even as a kid! Perry needed that extra power to move him along.
Especially in the later seasons when he had put on quit a few pounds.
THIS FRIDAY, DELLA IS ACCUSED OF HELPING AN OLD SORORITY SISTER KILL HER HUSBAND, AND PERRY IS ON THE CASE:

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

a very dear friend sent me a buttload of incredible DVDs, among them is 1978's DEATH ON THE NILE, which includes a MAKING OF FEATURETTE that I had NEVER seen and did not know existed (which surprises me as this film has been a minor obsession of mine)

it's always weird for me to see PETER USTINOV talking in a BRITISH ACCENT as I grew up watching his HERCULE POIROT FILMS a lot on HBO.

my mind was BLOWN to discover that THE PRODUCTION DESIGNER CONSTRUCTED AN ENTIRE REPLICA OF THE KARNAK ON A SOUNDSTAGE AT PINEWOOD STUDIOS WHICH HAD A TANK THAT WAS FLOODED (!!!!!!!!) AND ARTIFICIAL ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

I thought almost the entirety of the film- save possibly the scenes set strictly in THE SALON were filmed ON LOCATION on THE ACTUAL KARNAK (and some were)- but apparently THE EXTERIOR NIGHT SCENES WERE FILMED AT PINEWOOD because LIGHTING THEM ON LOCATION was too difficult!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is the featurette on youtube, don't worry, the first 30-40 seconds have no sound, the video is not muted.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

i admit the chief reason i thought DEATH ON THE NILE was filmed 96% on location was because BETTE DAVIS gave an interview where she (of course) b!tched about the heat and so on and said something along the lines of "in the old days, they would have brought THE NILE to HOLLYWOOD" (meaning they'd've built it all on a set.)

now that I've seen the above featurette, I bet you anything that when THE PRODUCTION DESIGNER of DEATH ON THE NILE read that quote of BETTE'S, he had to have been like: