I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Andree

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Andree »

Lorna wrote: April 14th, 2024, 3:43 am

Even better would be if he played the role in full Genghis Khan make up like from “the conqueror” just to confuse the s*** out of everybody.

(can you imagine the look on Pacino’s face?)
At least no one, AFAIK, got cancer from appearing in The Godfather. I like Duvall
as an actor, don't know much about his personal life. Tom Hagen certainly had his head
screwed on tighter than most of the other characters, not that that's a high bar.

Jack Woltz, the Hollywood producer, must have been one hell of a heavy sleeper. They
put a horse's head dripping with lots of blood underneath his sheet and he sleeps right
through it. Whatever.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:39 pm Yes, I saw GODFATHER III when it came out- we stole pay per view and it ran on loop.
It was 1990 I think?
I was 12 years old and I kid you not, one day I ran upstairs and grabbed a black wig and a fake rubber nose, and did an impression of Miss Sofia Coppola‘s EPIC performance for my sister and her friend.
GODFATHER III might well be a good movie, but it’s just hard to get past *that performance*.

And also Diane Keaton‘s perm.
I will say that I was very impressed with Sofia Coppola's work in THE VIRGIN SUICIDES (both her writing and directing).

I haven't seen the movie in many years so my opinion might be different now.

I know that I was crushing big-time on Josh Harnett (those eyelashes!) when I first saw the movie, and that is also features a pre-Anakin Skywalker/post-GOOSEBUMPS Hayden Christensen so it's possible that those factors swayed my reaction to the movie as a whole.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:43 pm
Hibi wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:20 pm Miss Wonderly is busy with her life. She became disenchanted with the slow activity here.
Must not've been a MURDER SHE WROTE fan....
That I don't know. LOL. Speaking of being MIA. Has anyone else noticed I love Melvin hasn't posted in a long while?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 8:58 pm :smiley_sick:
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm KILL THE LUME LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, Hibi! She makes me want to hurl! "You can put it on your pits and butt crack"

There's actually another one with a similiar product and the same disgusting pitch about using it "everywhere".
She's so in your face and crude. And making millions. Well won't get a penny from me! There's a sucker born every minute.........
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:27 amHas anyone else noticed I love Melvin hasn't posted in a long while?
Posts regularly on TB's site.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:40 pm
Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:21 pm Thank you, MR. INTERNATIONAL , you're like that ONE JUROR in TWELVE ANGRY MEN who manages to get JACK WARDEN to change his verdict.

She will live, for now.
By the way, speaking of your TV pet peeves, I recall your one post on the old boards saying how much you could not stand Linda Lavin. She played a murder victim on a CBS show last week, playing a former murderess who was killed herself when she was pushed from a high-rise balcony. I thought you might get a kick out of that.
LMREO!!!!!!!!! I'm also not a Linda Lavin or Alice fan.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 1:26 pm [quote=Andree}

I think the Lume lady has toned down her spiel lately. She doesn't talk about
under this, up that, but private areas. There's also another woman who does a
similar ad for another brand of deodorizer. Maybe this is the golden age of
eliminating the PU problem.

Can you imagine the NATIONWIDE APOPLECTIC SEIZURE THAT WOULD HAVE OCCURRED if- during an AD BREAK on I LOVE LUCY ca. 1954, MISS BETTY FURNESS showed up in the shower and asked: "HEY AMERICA!! DO YOU WANNA KNOW HOW WELL YOUR SOAP IS WORKING?! WELL YOU TAKE YOUR HAND AND YOU STICK IT..."

(i'm not going to finish but...CAN YOU IMAGINE? it would've been a NATIONAL CALAMITY- MORGUES FULL, EMERGENCY ROOMS FILLED TO CAPACITY, EISENHOWER FORCED to deliver an EMERGENCY ADDRESS BEFORE A JOINT SESSION OF CONGRESS, HELL, WE MIGHT'VE RE-INVADED KOREA )

And here in the 21st century it's just par for the course in an average viewing of network tv- any time of day.

that's how far we have fallen as society
[/quote]

Sad but true. TV advertising has gone down the toilet.......
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:29 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 8:58 pm :smiley_sick:
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm KILL THE LUME LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, Hibi! She makes me want to hurl! "You can put it on your pits and butt crack"

There's actually another one with a similiar product and the same disgusting pitch about using it "everywhere".
She's so in your face and crude. And making millions. Well won't get a penny from me!
What IF the option were A ROLL OF PENNIES right between the eyes? Might be the best $5 you ever spent....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

KayFrancis wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:21 pm So interesting. Everyone I know loved Seinfeld. Thought the show was hilarious. It's only on this site and our old TCM site that I've experienced negative comments about the show.
I agree, the show had a lot of NY humor. The Dick Van Dyke Show was like that too. Yes, Jewish humor on both shows.
If you guys didnt like Seinfeld, I can just imagine how you'd feel about Curb Your Enthusiasm! lol.
Sorry but I think both Seinfeld and Curb were brilliant, hilarious shows.
I still watch the reruns sometimes. It took a few seasons for the show to find it's groove but once it did, it was hilarious.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:45 am
KayFrancis wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:21 pm So interesting. Everyone I know loved Seinfeld. Thought the show was hilarious. It's only on this site and our old TCM site that I've experienced negative comments about the show.
I agree, the show had a lot of NY humor. The Dick Van Dyke Show was like that too. Yes, Jewish humor on both shows.
If you guys didnt like Seinfeld, I can just imagine how you'd feel about Curb Your Enthusiasm! lol.
Sorry but I think both Seinfeld and Curb were brilliant, hilarious shows.
I still watch the reruns sometimes. It took a few seasons for the show to find it's groove but once it did, it was hilarious.
Exactly Hibi, especially Seinfeld did take " a few seasons for the show to find it's groove " , that's how I always felt about the show but once it did it was hilarious 😂😊
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

dianedebuda wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:30 am
Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:27 amHas anyone else noticed I love Melvin hasn't posted in a long while?
Posts regularly on TB's site.
I see. Well glad to know he's alive anyway.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Death Of A Salesman (2000) Youtube-9/10

Willy Loman, a 60 year old salesman is losing touch with reality and alienates his wife and two adult sons.

An excellent version of Arthur Miller's prize winning play. It is just a filmed stage production (with Miller in the audience) but it is one of the best versions. And I have seen the 1951 movie version with Fredric March, the 1966 TV version with original Broadway Willy Loman Lee J. Cobb, the 1984 TV version with Dustin Hoffman and a 2012 Broadway revival with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Dennehy, despite his enormous size still manages to convey the little guy who is beaten down by life. The supporting cast is fine, Elizabeth Franz as the long suffering wife Linda reminded me a lot of the original Linda, Mildred Dunnock. Ron Eldard is very good as aimless son Biff, though he is better as the younger version of the character.
Anyone who loves this play will certainly love this version.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: April 13th, 2024, 5:17 am
There is actually wisdom in The Nanny, i.e. a combination of Jewish foibles and Jewish wisdom. Seinfeld and Enthusiasm are just shtick. In terms of Woody Allen, I love much of his work, particularly Radio Days, Manhattan, Annie Hall, A Rainy Day in New York, etc. I even like What's Up, Tiger Lily?. But I'm not a fan of Play It Again Sam and Take the Money and Run.

In terms of Jewish sensibilities, I once mentioned to a friend that the British director Mike Leigh's films display "Jewish sensibilities," even though he's not Jewish. My friend said, "He is Jewish." I didn't know that.
Sure Swithin, while there may be "wisdom" (Jewish or not) dispensed within 'The Nanny', I have to say I always found the few edisodes I ever watched of it (could only take so much of Fran's nasally voice...I mean by now I'm SURE you know how I feel about THAT sort'a thing and once again "Jewish" or NOT, and after all these years of my making fun of Mankiewicz's, RIGHT?!...LOL...ah, but I digress here) pretty much very conventional in its presentation of the classic fish-out-of-water story/family sitcom, and thus really breaking little new ground within this genre.

AND whereas, well, while you evidently think the 'Seinfield' sitcom is nothing but "shtick", allow me to ask you the following question here in regard to the concept of "breaking new ground":

Were there really any new phraseologies created in 'The Nanny' that would make their way into the general lexicon and that would become culturally embedded in this country such as, "Soup Nazi", "Anti-Dentite" and "Festivus, for the rest of us"(just to name a few here) and which were created by the minds of Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David?

(...nope, sorry, but I really can't think of any that would originally spring from that Fran Drescher starring sitcom)
Last edited by Dargo on April 15th, 2024, 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:32 am
CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:40 pm
Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:21 pm Thank you, MR. INTERNATIONAL , you're like that ONE JUROR in TWELVE ANGRY MEN who manages to get JACK WARDEN to change his verdict.

She will live, for now.
By the way, speaking of your TV pet peeves, I recall your one post on the old boards saying how much you could not stand Linda Lavin. She played a murder victim on a CBS show last week, playing a former murderess who was killed herself when she was pushed from a high-rise balcony. I thought you might get a kick out of that.
LMREO!!!!!!!!! I'm also not a Linda Lavin or Alice fan.
I don't think I've ever seen an entire episode of ALICE, but I love the movie ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE that was the inspiration for the TV series.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: April 15th, 2024, 12:27 pm
Swithin wrote: April 13th, 2024, 5:17 am
There is actually wisdom in The Nanny, i.e. a combination of Jewish foibles and Jewish wisdom. Seinfeld and Enthusiasm are just shtick. In terms of Woody Allen, I love much of his work, particularly Radio Days, Manhattan, Annie Hall, A Rainy Day in New York, etc. I even like What's Up, Tiger Lily?. But I'm not a fan of Play It Again Sam and Take the Money and Run.

In terms of Jewish sensibilities, I once mentioned to a friend that the British director Mike Leigh's films display "Jewish sensibilities," even though he's not Jewish. My friend said, "He is Jewish." I didn't know that.
Sure Swithin, while there may be "wisdom" (Jewish or not) dispensed within 'The Nanny', I have to say I always found the few edisodes I ever watched of it (could only take so much of Fran's nasally voice...I mean by now I'm SURE you know how I feel about THAT sort'a thing and once again "Jewish" or NOT, and after all these years of my making fun of Mankiewicz's, RIGHT?!...LOL...ah, but I digress here) pretty much very convention in its presentation of the classic fish-out-of-water story/family sitcom, and thus really breaking little new ground within this genre.

AND whereas, well, while you evidently think the 'Seinfield' is nothing but "shtick", allow me to ask you the following question here in regard to the concept of "breaking new ground":

Were there really any new phraseologies created in 'The Nanny' that would make their way into the general lexicon and that would become culturally embedded in this country such as, "Soup Nazi", "Anti-Dentite" and "Festivus, for the rest of us"(just to name a few here) and which were created by the minds of Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David?

(...nope, sorry, but I really can't think of any that would originally spring from that Fran Drescher starring sitcom)
As a Jew, I know I definitely related to Fran's "I just wanted to eat bacon" remark on THE NANNY.