Board down -- now resolved

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Board down -- now resolved

Post by SSO Admins »

As is probably clear, I pay a company for the hosting of this site. For the last 12 hours or so, the site has been down, with a message saying that the account was suspended.

When I got home last night, I contacted them and was told that the billing to my credit card had been declined. While I could not see a reason for this, I gave them another credit card number and went to bed, thinking that it was resolved. After I got up this morning, I found a note saying that the second card had also been declined.

After some back and forth, we discovered that the problem was that "the transaction resulted in an AVS mismatch. The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder." When I moved in March, I updated my new address with my card holders but not with the hosting company. This was causing both cards to be declined.

I am quite embarrassed about this, but the problem is resolved and should not happen again. Please accept my apology for the outage.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

No apology necessary; thanks for the update...and the site!!
-Dewey
cmvgor

Post by cmvgor »

Whew! Most of my computer problems are my fault, and I thought
I had fu, uh, fouled things up somehow.
"Faint heart never filled inside straight"
--Bret & Bart's Pappy
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

Gald to see it is back. My only regret is that someone started a thread over in TCM asking what happened to it, so now the undesirables know of it and mght seek out this oasis.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

no apologies necessary! Sometimes the smallest glitch causes the greatest annoyance, doesn't it? If I haven't said it before, thanks, Jon for this great place. A day without SSO is a dreary day, indeed! :D
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
vallo

Post by vallo »

I read that also at TCM Filmlover. Glad to see we're back, Thank you jondaris.

Now we have to guard the Parapets...

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Since I have received a couple of private messages inquiring as to whether paying for the site is a burden to me, I want to assure everyone that it is not. This was a technical billing issue, not a financial one. Unless we grow to be much, much larger, there is no need for donations of any kind.

I am more than happy to provide this, and the cost is pretty insignificant to me. So let me thank those who have inquired, and those who may be moved to inquire, but I really don't need financial help with this.

If it ever became necessary, I would probably do something like an Amazon Affiliates button where people could support the site by spending money they already intended to spend. But that's a long way down the road, if at all.

If you wish to support the site, do so by posting about movies, inviting cool people to join, and following the rules. That's all the support we need.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

filmlover wrote:Gald to see it is back. My only regret is that someone started a thread over in TCM asking what happened to it, so now the undesirables know of it and mght seek out this oasis.
I'm not totally convinced that's a bad thing. I've never been happy with the invitation model.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Also, I went to check that out, and couldn't get to any pages other than the forum list. I wonder if Robert Osbourne's credit card was declined as well.
moira finnie
Administrator

Issues, Smissues

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Jon,
Thanks so much for being so candid about the issue involved. Life is sometimes more complicated than we'd wish here in cyberland. I appreciate all your efforts to keep us up and running technically.
My only regret is that someone started a thread over in TCM asking what happened to it, so now the undesirables know of it and mght seek out this oasis.~filmlover
Since this message, which was posted early this morning on TCM, doesn't seem to give directions here, I'm hoping that little will come from it. I've p/m'ed the author and asked that not too much info be posted publicly on TCM just now about our little fledgling site, though it could also be a nifty test of our ability to handle traffic of a broader nature here. As the late, great John Wayne paraphrased once, (or twice), "Whatever doesn't kill [us], makes [us] stronger." :wink:

Since I've been away for a week, & I've only been able to review posts occasionally, and it looks as though I've got alot of catching up to do. Thanks to all of you for your continued interest and participation in this site.
Moira
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear of your glitch, but glad all is resolved.

I am concerned however about that message put up over at TCM. There are are couple of people over there that I don't want to encounter on here; and they're just the ones who'll barg in. :shock:

I guess it's a 'wait and see' situation.

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Happy to see Silver Screen Oasis back in business. Many thanks to Jondaris for this site and the wonderful job that is done.
Joseph Goodheart
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi jon:

Thanks again for all you've done. You hear so much about identity theft, I was afraid something like that had happened.

I think we've named the site well, because it is such an oasis to be able to come here, and talk movies.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Jon, no worries about it, and thanks for your concern and taking the trouble to create and maintain this "oasis of calm".