Board down -- now resolved

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Larry wrote:

I am concerned however about that message put up over at TCM. There are are couple of people over there that I don't want to encounter on here; and they're just the ones who'll barg in. :shock:

Don't worry, Larry. Over here we got sheriffs to keep the riff-raff in check. :P
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Folks,
I am very grateful that we still have a place to play with our friends. Thank you so much, jon!
Sincerely,
Christy
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

If you've found this, you've probably figured out that I moved this and the name change thread here and deleted those forums. Just trying to keep things neat.
Swithin

Re: Board down -- now resolved

Post by Swithin »

I'm having problems accessing this site, yesterday and today. Anyone else? Something about a "handshake" comes up.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

YES- two days now. I can re-load pages and post (hopefully) but with difficulty, meaning a couple of tries before it "takes".
Anyone?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Here's another part of the message I'm getting:

SSL handshake failed Error code 525
Visit cloudflare.com for more information.
2023-06-28 12:24:23 UTC

Cloudflare is unable to establish an SSL connection to the origin server.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Yeah, sometimes the page comes in with just the banner & hyperlinks as text rather than formatted in the familiar "box" list in light blue.
Refresh the page and it comes in formatted OK for awhile.

I pressed "reply" and received the unformatted text page, refreshed & it popped up correctly. Something's wrong, but just keep trying!!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I've fixed it for now. Let me know if you see it again.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Lomm wrote: June 28th, 2023, 10:25 am I've fixed it for now. Let me know if you see it again.
Started working for me 8:30 am PDT.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on June 28th, 2023, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belle

Post by Belle »

SSO Admins wrote: May 31st, 2007, 8:01 am As is probably clear, I pay a company for the hosting of this site. For the last 12 hours or so, the site has been down, with a message saying that the account was suspended.

When I got home last night, I contacted them and was told that the billing to my credit card had been declined. While I could not see a reason for this, I gave them another credit card number and went to bed, thinking that it was resolved. After I got up this morning, I found a note saying that the second card had also been declined.

After some back and forth, we discovered that the problem was that "the transaction resulted in an AVS mismatch. The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder." When I moved in March, I updated my new address with my card holders but not with the hosting company. This was causing both cards to be declined.

I am quite embarrassed about this, but the problem is resolved and should not happen again. Please accept my apology for the outage.
The most stressful element of moving house is trying to change your new address to many multiples of organizations/interested parties. We moved 17 months ago and there are still people who don't know about our new address and it's all proving to be a nightmare. Never mind physically packing and cleaning before leaving your former residence, and unpacking when you get to the new one; changing your address is far more challenging than any of this. If you have stocks and shares, as I have, giving your new address or any change of bank details is even more challenging and nightmarish. In Australia we have privacy laws which mean husband and wife must each do their own transactions separately when it comes to joint banking accounts, shares, utilities, medical....the list is endless and it doubles the efforts on every single aspect of our existence.

How have we all come to this?? We'll never move again; the stress of all this just isn't worth it.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Welcome to our new, convenient virtual life/world.
Nothing is easier, but harder it just takes up less space.

I've found the single most time consuming life issue is a result of no longer ANY customer service. It's all do-it-yourself now, requiring far too much time identifying yourself with PINs & PWs....oh and for self-security, never use the same one twice!
I've been timing my phone calls - average 45min per call.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I didn't realize right away this is a continuation of an old thread.
I'm having Windows issues as we speak.
I kinda sorta want a Mac again.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I am glad to see the site up and running. Thanks!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Whenever a website I'm a regular member of goes down for any length of time, I'm always reminded of the following meme here...

;)

(...btw Lomm...thanks for all you do around here...it's much appreciated)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Belle wrote: June 28th, 2023, 11:44 am
The most stressful element of moving house is trying to change your new address to many multiples of organizations/interested parties. [...]

How have we all come to this?? We'll never move again; the stress of all this just isn't worth it.
We moved last year.

The bank where we each have individual checking accounts and individual credit cards does not allow a change of address to a post office box in a new zip code. This is part of their anti-terrorism measures. You must change to a street address and wait for a full account cycle before changing to a post office box. It is odd that their system does not migrate information instantly between accounts. The update was immediate for my checking account but it was two weeks before credit card changed. My little Fuzzy changed his checking account and his credit card changed within a few days. Our original attempts to change our joint account were rejected because their records showed the address in use by others. It required us going together to a branch and identifying ourselves to have them override the protocols to allow the change.

We each have a post office box for business use. They are at different branches and so have different zip codes. The credit card I use for business purchases delayed changing until they received confirmation from USPS that I had a legitimate change of address on file. That required several weeks.

We were traveling back and forth between old apartment and new house for several months. Each stop for gasoline was a bit of an adventure because it was necessary to enter a zip code to confirm identity. Some of those payment systems do not query the credit card issuer for every transaction and rely on their own database which may be thirty or sixty days old and so it was not always possible to know which zip code to use. Old address? New street address? New post office box? The same credit card used twice in the same day could require different zip codes depending on payment processor and state.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya