Greetings and solicitations!

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Greetings and solicitations!

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Masha! It's great to have new people. I hope you'll continue to post about what interests you in classic films (Love Jewel Robbery too!). Thanks for joining.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi, Masha!

Won't you tell us a little bit about yourself? :D For instance, who is the lovely lady in your avatar? I just watched the clip from youtube that you posted in the silents thread, is that Russian? Absolutely charming, I'm sure little Masha is quite popular.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Nick

Post by Nick »

Welcome, Masha. I'm also new here at this forum. I'm 21 years old from Sweden. Cya :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Masha wrote:My greatest preference in movies is crime-comedies of the 1930s and 1940s.
Masha, I wonder if you have seen the 1938 screwball-comedy blended with mystery-crime: "The Mad Miss Manton" with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda, which has been one of the biggest dicoveries I've made, because it has a kind of lackluster review on Maltin's TV Guide. It's a complete delight and Stanwyck is simply suberb as a daffy-silly heiress (an unusual role for her).
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm gñad to read this Masha. I must revisit this film soon. It's a knockout.

As for TV Movies Guides, my favorite author is th late Steven H. Scheuer, who was English. The late Roger Ebert, Robert Osborne, Rudy Behlmer are all movie historians I like to watch and listen to, but not so much Maltin. He's pretty famous and well known, but there's something weird and fake about him; it's an intuitive feeling, can't explain it. I do not dislike him much as you, but there's something in his smile and his general approach that I don't like. The total opposite of what happens to me when I listen to Bob Osborne.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Masha wrote:
Nick wrote:Welcome, Masha. I'm also new here at this forum. I'm 21 years old from Sweden. Cya :)
I thank you for your kind greeting. I am sorry that I did not see your post before this time and I hope that you are not offended that I did not reply in a timely manner. I am three times your age but I believe we will find much in common in our love for classic movies. :)
Nah, I don't get offended easily, Masha. ;)

Regarding age, I think I'm the youngest member of this site. So I'll have to act more mature here than I do elsewhere. :D

See ya!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'll have to act more mature here than I do elsewhere

Why? I don't!
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Hi Masha. Just caught up with your introduction. Only been here a month myself, but I can see why you're enjoying your experience.

Comic-crime moves are favorites of mine as well. If you haven't caught up with them yet, may I suggest either of the two versions of the Damon Runyon story, A Slight Case of Murder (1938), starring Edward G. Robinson, and the 1952 remake starring Broderick Crawford entitled, Stop You’re Killing Me Also, The Gazabo (1959), a Glenn Ford/Debbie Reynolds farce with a brilliant turn by John orMcGiver.

The Edward G. Robinson film is especially good, and right in the time-frame you like best. He really demonstrates that he could just as easily have become a major comic actor. The cast includes a young man, Bobby Jordan, who was one of the original "Dead End Kids."

Also in the cast are four dead guys in the closet!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]