New member here

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Welcome, Hedvig. It's so nice to see a young fan here. I hope you won't be shy about contributing your thoughts and asking questions.

[Please see the last entry in the thread called "A Propos of Nothing" in the General TV and Media section.]

Best regards,
Judith
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm so glad to "see" you here Hedvig!!! Welcome!!! :D :D :D
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I'm still pretty new here myself, but hey, welcome!

Is that Synnöve or Synnøve?

And just out of interest, how did you discover silents and precodes? Outside my household (where none of the kids watch that crappy old stuff but get to hear me rabbitting on about it), I don't know an 18 year old who's even heard of precodes.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Thank you cinemalover, Judith, Fernando and Dawtrina! Fernando, I am very glad to see you here too!! Judith, that post made my day. :D

Dawtrina, it is really Synnøve. It was one of Karin Molander's roles, based on a Norwegian story. Synnöve would be the Swedish spelling.

I discovered silent movies when I was 15. I'm surprised I didn't get into them sooner actually, because I had been very intrigued by early 20th century history for a long time. I didn't know there was all that much available though, until I began to search the internet properly. I managed to persuade my dad, who is also a history nut, to buy some Griffith films, and we watched them together. I started saving up for new DVDs and my interest in silents has never wavered since, I still love the sense of travelling back in time and seeing history with my own eyes, and I have grown to love the art form too. I branched out to pre-codes and classic film after a while. I like the writing during the golden age of Hollywood, I think it is on a different level than today. The stories are more effectively told, and I just love the style in film making, clothes and makeup during the 30's and 40's. Pre-codes are so interesting, because they are often lively and have a realism which to some extent disappeared later. They had an edge, a dark undertone as a result of the depression. Women could play such interesting characters in the pre-codes, you so seldom get to see them as tough agents of their own survival. That is what I like about these films.
silentscreen

Hello!

Post by silentscreen »

Hi! I just registered a couple of days ago. This looks like a great place for classic movie lovers! :D

As you can tell by my screen name, I'm a lover of the silents, but also the classics from the 30's, 40's and 50's. I adore the precode stars Una Mekel, Loretta Young, Kay Francis, Ronald Colman, Ricardo Cortez, and many others!

It's nice to be here! :)

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lovely to have you Brenda. Enjoy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Welcome to these Boards Brenda :D , good to see you here!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Welcome Brenda! :D Really happy to see you here! I am sure you'll enjoy it. :wink:
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Brenda,
Good to have you onboard. Enjoy and don't be shy about posting your thoughts.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman

Synnøve

Post by movieman »

Synnøve

You mentioned a norwegian story. Would that be "Synnøve Solbakken" by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson?

Sincerely

Even B
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Hi Brenda! It's great to see you here! :D

That is the one, Even B. You are from Norway then, aren't you? Synnöve was made into a film by John Brunius in 1919, starring Karin Molander and Lars Hanson. I believe it was filmed on location in Norway. I have always found the stills intriguing. They show a great deal of natural beauty. I would love to see the film with Lars Hanson and Karin Molander playing opposite one another, since they were married in real life.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hi Brenda, it's lovely to see you here :D

It's a lovely place to chat about movies :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:D Thanks everyone, you've made me feel very welcome! It's nice to "see" old friends again! I really like that picture of Sir Charles, charliechapin! Very handsome and distinguished looking.

I wish I had seen more Karin Molander films Hedvig. I've only seen her in Erotikon and some clips from Cinema Europe I think. She seems a very interesting actresss.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I want to say hi to our newest members, and as someone who is primarily a fan of silent film, it's really great to see so many new people showing an interest in that lost art.

I find it very encouraging.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Being a basically very lazy person, I just want to extend a hearty
Welcome, Welcome to all the folks who have joined us in the past
two weeks or so. I've lost count of all of you, from Dawtrina, to
CharlieChaplinFan.

So, put your fingers to your keys and comment away, we are
always happy to hear from you.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *