posting a photo

Having problems? Get help here.
Uncle Stevie

posting a photo

Post by Uncle Stevie »

after all these years I still do not know how to post a personal photo in my message. will someone please help me? I have a new total family picture I would like everyone to see.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Uncle Stevie

Re: posting a photo

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Thank you for the effort but it does not work for me. The photo I have is now included in my Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 and is a jpeg file. but I cannot figure out how to get it t appear in my message. can anyone else help me Please

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Uncle Stevie, I am sorry to read that you are having difficulty posting a photo. Have you reviewed the steps described in this earlier post? Perhaps it will be of help. If not, I'll try to explain in a different way:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... p?f=9&t=25
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

No Moira I have not been to follow those diections. Please help me.
Uncle Stevie

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Uncle Stevie, if I may, here is a how-to guide written by one of the moderators of the Judy Garland Message Board, to assist those members in sharing photos: click here. They use the same software as SSO, so those instructions should work here too.

Basically you want to sign up for a free account at an image hosting site such as Image Shack or Photo Bucket, upload your images to the hosting site, and then embed the photos within your posts here. The article linked above gives detailed info.

[On this board it is also possible to upload images as attachments to posts, but I have no experience with that. I always use a third-party image hosting site.]
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Thanks for all this info. I just printed it out but have not done it yet. I plan to do it sometime today. wish me luck.
Uncle Stevie

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

559341_4431757400958_846882769_n.jpg
559341_4431757400958_846882769_n.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 24926 times
Definitely works, Uncle Stevie. I just followed Masha's instructions to post this.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Masha's description is the method I use. I believe the description is clear and easy to follow.

One additional point. I learned that all photos posted (at least that way) have to be no larger than 500 pixels by 500 pixels. If you don't know how to check that and correct it if necessary in Photoshop, let us know and I'll explain how I do it.

Ain't it fun to learn new tricks? Said the Old Dog!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Not to seem like a shill (I just posted about this in another thread), but imgur is so easy to use, especially with a browser extension (https://www.google.com/search?q=imgur+e ... 2&ie=UTF-8 for your browser) and linking from images found on the web. I right-click a picture, "rehost image", copy the url here, and put the img tag around it using the button at the top of a posting window. And the image size doesn't make any difference, generally. Too big and people may have to "side scroll" to see the whole thing though. Just quote my post in a reply to see the formatting, if you need to.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

First:

The methods described above are fine, but I should insert a caution for our members.

PLEASE never "hotlink" to a photo posted on another individual or company's website. Having an image saved to your computer and then uploading it to a photo sharing site such as Photobucket or Imgur is generally acceptable if a person is doing so to add to a post of their own that is not profit-motivated but simply informative and illustrative. It is not considered good internet etiquette (and can cause the SSO legal problems) if a person knowingly chooses to use a URL on another site to insert into their post. One simple definition of Hotlinking is as "a term used on the Internet that refers to the practice of displaying an image on a website by linking to the same image on another website, rather than saving a copy of it on the website on which the image will be shown. So, instead of loading picture.gif on to their own website, a website owner uses a link to the picture as http://example.com/picture.jpg. When the hotlinking website is loaded, the image is loaded from the other website, which uses its bandwidth, costing the hotlinked website's owners money. For this reason many website owners use .htaccess files to prevent hotlinking. In some cases website owners use the .htaccess file to replace any hotlinked images with an offensive image to deter any other website owners from hotlinking."

Second:

Please keep dimensions of your images within a width of about 650 pixels maximum to enable viewers to see the photo properly. Length of images is less crucial but should be a "reasonable" length usually under 900 pixels. We could potentially run into some bandwidth usage issues if very large images are consistently posted here too.

Third:

The requested FAQ section for this site is in the works and being worked on by the management. Guidelines about image posting such as the very good info posted here by members will be included in one spot, instead of in various spots around the site as they are now. We'll let you know by announcement and email when it rolls out.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Just to add an additional word of caution about hotlinking to someone's website (not the same as using imgur or Photobucket): some sites will, using code, forcibly display a different pic than what you intended. I have seen some pretty awful, horrifyingly disgusting images because of that. :) The person posting sees the right image, because it is in their browser history. The rest of us see tubgirl (don't look it up). So be sure you rehost it on a sharing site or upload the attachment.

Moira, I've seen attachments cause a board I help run to crash because of large file sizes and heavy activity, which is why I always suggest people use web hosting. I don't know that you guys have the same problems; it doesn't seem like it, what with a pretty long thread of pictures of Rita Hayworth, mostly attachments. Just sharing my experience. You're probably on better hardware! :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lomm wrote:Just to add an additional word of caution about hotlinking to someone's website (not the same as using imgur or Photobucket): some sites will, using code, forcibly display a different pic than what you intended. I have seen some pretty awful, horrifyingly disgusting images because of that. :) The person posting sees the right image, because it is in their browser history. The rest of us see tubgirl (don't look it up). So be sure you rehost it on a sharing site or upload the attachment.

Moira, I've seen attachments cause a board I help run to crash because of large file sizes and heavy activity, which is why I always suggest people use web hosting. I don't know that you guys have the same problems; it doesn't seem like it, what with a pretty long thread of pictures of Rita Hayworth, mostly attachments. Just sharing my experience. You're probably on better hardware! :)

Thanks for bring it up to my attention LOMM, and I for one may have to rethink this and I for one - may have to suspend this for awhile when I could possibly go from ATTACHMENT MODE to IMAGE HOSTING MODE. When, I do go through Attachment Mode - I always compress my Images so that it will not take much space here and I just frustrating that I have to take in the account for everything I do here and that alone makes it hard to accept. I wanted to thank you for bringing it to my attention here and I may have to accept the fact that I have to do something about it fast and take my time doing the right thing for all of us here.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lomm wrote:
I agree about the possible web hosting and the issues with long attachments. I do not use them for that reason, but so far we are okay, Lomm.

Thank you for your input, everyone. Lomm's comment about the substitute images that can show up is well taken--it is not a good idea for that reason and for the others cited above, particularly the legal ramifications as well as the need for discreet use of images in general.

All posters comments are very much appreciated.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks