Stop Smiling (Issue 33)

Read any good books lately?
ChiO

Stop Smiling (Issue 33)

Post by ChiO »

The latest issue of the magazine Stop Smiling includes 20 interviews (most are short). The six persons involved in film who are interviewed are: Paul Verhoeven, David Cronenberg, Noah Baumbach, Todd Haynes and -- the reason I bought the issue -- Charles Burnett.

For fans of popular music, there is a long interview with the late Lee Hazlewood.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Thanks for the tip, ChiO. I don't know that mag. Is it easily found on newstands around the country or does one need to get it via the mails?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Now there's a question, Dewey. It's a very spiffy and commercial looking mag, but it's available in Chicago at the more "full service" or "complete" magazine stores or spots like the Chicago Modern Art Museum -- not Walgreen's. I think Borders carries it. It's $5.95 in the US (is Oakland in the US?).

Published in Chicago and comes out 6 times a year. Each issue focuses on a topic. One issue each year is devoted to film in some manner.

Issue 32 (Hollywood Lost & Found): essays on Dorothy Malone, Preston Sturges, Louise Brooks, Frank Tashlin, Lubitsch & Wilder (by Jonathan Rosenbaum), Sam Fuller (by J. Hoberman), Barbara Stanwyck; interviews with Bruce Dern, Susan Tyrell, Harry Dean Stanton; and more.

Issue 31 (Ode to the South): essays on & interviews with various persons connected to Stax Records; and more (but it's enough that Stax is in the magazine).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles