Re: Upcoming Releases of Classic Films on DVD

Post by MissGoddess »

Poor Aunt Agnes!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Imprint Films (the "premium Blu-ray label" of Via Vision Entertainment) will debut the 1949 Paramount Pictures production of The Great Gatsby on Blu-ray Disc in May. The Australia-based home entertainment outfit released its DVD edition in 2015. That disc offered the trailer for The Great Gatsby as its only bonus. The 2023 Imprint Films Blu-ray Disc is accompanied by the following special features:
  • New audio commentary by professor and film scholar Jason A. Ney
  • The 1999 documentary Alan Ladd: The True Quiet Man
  • A limited edition slipcase on the first 1500 copies with unique artwork
If you're a fan of the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald or a fan of Alan Ladd, or you've always wanted to see the 1949 version of The Great Gatsby, you might want to invest in the Imprint Films Blu-ray Disc, Old Sport!

Eddie Muller Introduces The Great Gatsby (1949)

Can't wait for the Blu-ray Disc?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
BingFan

Post by BingFan »

I’m glad to hear about the Great Gatsby release, which I’ve always wanted to see. The 70s version was OK but a bit too 70s. The cast of the 1949 version looks like it could carry off a noir-ish approach to the story, but I guess I’ll have to see it to be sure.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

BingFan wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:33 pm . . . The cast of the 1949 version looks like it could carry off a noir-ish approach to the story, but I guess I’ll have to see it to be sure.
In the YouTube clip that I linked to in "Eddie Muller Introduces The Great Gatsby (1949)" (at Noir City in Seattle), Muller does not think that it is film noir.

However, six months later at Noir City in Chicago, Foster Hirsch (FILM NOIR The Dark Side of the Screen) does think that the 1949 version of The Great Gatsby is film noir.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
BingFan

Post by BingFan »

EP Millstone wrote: February 25th, 2023, 8:14 pm
BingFan wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:33 pm . . . The cast of the 1949 version looks like it could carry off a noir-ish approach to the story, but I guess I’ll have to see it to be sure.
In the YouTube clip that I linked to in "Eddie Muller Introduces The Great Gatsby (1949)" (at Noir City in Seattle), Muller does not think that it is film noir.

However, six months later at Noir City in Chicago, Foster Hirsch (FILM NOIR The Dark Side of the Screen) does think that the 1949 version of The Great Gatsby is film noir.

Thanks for noting Eddie’s view. I somehow missed that link, but I just looked at his intro now. Even if not noir (but with noir elements), Eddie’s comments make me want to see this Gatsby even more.

(That’s typically the effect his comments have on me — Eddie seems to be able to make any movie sound appealing, and he’s usually right in doing so. Beyond his intros, Eddie’s DVD commentaries are outstanding, right up there with those of Peter Bogdanovich.)
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

Kino is releasing a Philo Vance 3 movie blu-ray in may 2024.https://kinolorber.com/product/philo-va ... urder-case