Administrator

Re: Upcoming Releases of Classic Films on DVD

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

That is good news! :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

A Double Life is a great movie with a tour de force performance by Colman -- who should have won an Oscar several times over, for his performances in films like The Prisoner of Zenda and Lost Horizon and especially A Tale of Two Cities. I also adore him in Random Harvest.

Shelley Winters is also terrific in A Double Life.

I also recommend Champagne for Caesar to see Colman at his dry witty best. ;) It's a low-budget film but he's very funny, and Vincent Price gives an outstandingly delicious hammy performance in a career full of deliciously hammy performances. Celeste Holm is great too. And everyone has deliciously funny names - Colman is "Beauregard Bottomley" and Price is "Burnbridge Waters." Art Linkletter is in it too, as "Happy Hogan."

If you couldn't tell, Colman is one of my favorite actors. :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love James Mason in these Gainsborough movies, he's so mean and the women loved him for it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I really, really hope that my library orders the Criterion Gainsborough set! I have been wanting to see The Man in Grey for YEARS. It's never been shown on TCM, as far as I know.

One of my dearest friends (who has since passed away) loaned me the novel that the film was based on. I do NOT do scary stuff--which he knew--but he described it as gothic. Well, of course, it was a cracking good read and I stayed up until 3am finishing it and the ending was SCARY. I called up my friend the next day and yelled at him over the phone. He was almost never scared by anything he read, so he didn't realize that my overactive imagination would kick into gear by reading or seeing anything even remotely creepy. We laughed about it for years. I wish that he was here to watch the film with me.

Sandy K
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i haven't seen The Man in Grey but you've piqued my interest, Sandy! I'm pretty cowardly but I do like gothic and creepy "spookers". :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've NEVER seen it. My interest is piqued too!

CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR is my friend's favorite comedy. He LOVES Vincent Price in it!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

If you can't wait for the Gainsborough set here is The Man in Grey (1943). James Mason is perfectly vile in this one and Margaret Lockwood and Phyllis Calvert are swell. Quite enjoyable. I'd love to read the novel too, Sandy.

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

SPOILED MAN IN GREY

ow, VILE isn't a vile enough word to describe Mason and Maggie ("together again!") in this one. talk about two people who deserve each other. and she was so rotten even HE got disgusted with her. i really thought she'd have at least one redeeming moment at the end, and she almost did...but then she remembered HIM and what it was going to be like if she had to actually reap what she was a-sowin'...and poof, off went the little halo and back again were the horns!

I never thought I'd find a woman as ruthless as me!
<BIG KISS>

poor phyllis, how pitiful, she was as helpless as a kitten between two german shepherds. i must say these gainsboroughs really do capture the flavor of those regency novels well. Sheridan come to life, and it looks like Maggie and Mason were the Hepburn and Tracy of the genre.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:SPOILED MAN IN GREY
I never thought I'd find a woman as ruthless as me![/b] <BIG KISS>

poor phyllis, how pitiful, she was as helpless as a kitten between two german shepherds. i must say these gainsboroughs really do capture the flavor of those regency novels well. Sheridan come to life, and it looks like Maggie and Mason were the Hepburn and Tracy of the genre.
Sheridan come to life, indeed, as well as Samuel Richardson, John Cleland and Henry Fielding on acid, all of whom seem to have influenced this script. Can a movie be bad if you cheer inwardly when the baddies show up on screen? NO! It's delightful, as is your review.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i would like to see their 1942 pairing, Alibi. Have you seen it? the plot sounds a bit like the great flamarion.

they look much more appealing here than in their "wicked" pairings.

-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

No, I haven't seen that one, though it is kind of shocking how thin Mason looked in his early movies. The first time I ever saw The Return of the Scarlet Pimpernel (1937) I didn't recognize him until Mason's character started sneering, I mean speaking. If you are interested that movie (without Leslie Howard), it can be seen on the internet archive. Margaret Lockwood and Mason were quite a florid team in the forties (and fun to watch).

I see that a vendor on ioffer has a copy of Alibi (1942) if you are interested. From what I gathered at Britmovie's description, here, it sounds as though it might be fun to see Mason as a wealthy French drunkard in a story with a plot that reads like a first draft of Nightmare Alley. If it is directed by that rogue Irishman, Brian Desmond Hurst, it could be good or a failure, though I suspect that some of that was due to the chronic financing problems that afflicted the British film industry since day one. There was apparently nothing in between for Bri, who made the swoon-worthy Dangerous Moonlight (1940), Hungry Hill (1947) and Scrooge (1951) when things fell into place.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mason did have a lean and hungry look back then, didn't he? like a half starved wolf pup. :D

thank you for the suggestions. i am not sure if i've seen dangerous moonlight, though the title is familiar. i really like hungry hill.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

tcm is really coming out with some excellent stuff. the latest: DARK CRIMES: Film Noir Thrillers (The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia and Phantom Lady) for release December 4, 2012.

http://www.classicflix.com/dark-crimes- ... 13084.html

Too bad they couldn't have squeezed in This Gun For Hire...I always think of the three Ladd/Lake noirs as a "set").
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

More from TCM Vault: Carole Lombard in the Thirties (No More Orchids, Brief Moment, Lady by Choice)

http://www.classicflix.com/carole-lomba ... 13080.html
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The Ladd/Lake noirs would be a wonderful set! "Dahlia" might be the weak link in the trio, but you wouldn't catch me complaining. GLASS KEY is not a perfect film. But when it works, it really works. I'd give my Aunt Agnes to see the earlier version!