Upcoming Releases of Classic Films on DVD

News and Upcoming Releases
filmlover

Upcoming Releases of Classic Films on DVD

Post by filmlover »

Rather than have several threads of new upcoming DVDs, this is the place to let others know of upcoming DVDs featuring classic films. (Once the title comes out, feel free to post a review of it in one of the genre threads in this Forum - for example, the new Cagney Box Set comes out tomorrow, but you should review it in the Box Sets thread, not here.)
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

How easy it is to find all info about upcoming releases when it is placed here in one thread. This thread is dedicated to making it easier than searching through several threads.

Post your info here if you know of DVDs coming up that TCM fans would like to know about.
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

THE THIRD MAN

The new 2-disc edition is due out from Criterion on May 22nd.

Special features include:
*All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
*Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
*Two audio commentaries: one by filmmaker Steven Soderbergh and screenwriter Tony Gilroy, and one by film scholar Dana Polan
*Shadowing "The Third Man" (2005), a ninety-minute feature documentary on the making of the film
*Abridged recording of Graham Greene’s treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke
*"Graham Greene: The Hunted Man," an hour-long, 1968 episode of the BBC's Omnibus series, featuring a rare interview with the novelist
*Who Was the Third Man? (2000), a thirty-minute Austrian documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew
*The Third Man on the radio: the 1951 “A Ticket to Tangiers” episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man
*Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer
*Actor Joseph Cotten’s alternate opening voice-over narration for the U.S. version
*Archival footage of postwar Vienna
*A look at the untranslated foreign dialogue in the film
*Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
*PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Luc Sante, Charles Drazin, and Philip Kerr
*Also: a web-exclusive essay on Anton Karas by musician John Doe
Last edited by filmlover on April 26th, 2007, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

If....

2-disc release due from Criterion on June 19th.
*Special features include:
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Miroslav Ondricek and assistant editor Ian Rakoff
* Audio commentary featuring film critic and historian David Robinson and actor Malcolm McDowell
* Cast and Crew (2003), an episode from the Scottish TV series featuring interviews with McDowell, Ondricek, Rakoff, director’s assistant Stephen Frears, producer Michael Medwin, and screenwriter David Sherwin
* New video interview with actor Graham Crowden
* Thursday’s Children (1954), Academy Award–winning documentary about a school for deaf children, directed by Anderson and Guy Brenton and narrated by Richard Burton
* Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
* PLUS: A booklet featuring pieces by critic David Ehrenstein, screenwriter David Sherwin, and director Lindsay Anderson
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

BECKET

Due May 15th.

Special features:
Commentary by: Peter O'Toole
Theatrical trailer
Still gallery
Interviews with editor Anne V. Coats and composer Laurence Rosenthal
Archival interviews with Richard Burton
TV spot
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

THE CAINE MUTINY

Due out May 8th from Sony.

EXTRAS:
Behind "The Caine Mutiny" Part I
Behind "The Caine Mutiny" Part II
markfp

THE THREE STOOGES

Post by markfp »

Now I know we are all sophisticated lovers of fine cinema here and would never stoop to such low-brow humor, but just in case there may be a couple of "closet" Stooge fans around, I'll pass this along. (said with tongue in cheek)

On October 30th SONY will release the first volume of will be a multi-volume set of ALL the Columbia Stooge's shorts. That's somewhere around 220 if I recall.

The first one is on 2 discs and includes 19 shorts covering 1932-34. All are restored from the original negatives. Included are two of the films that have fallen into public domain so it looks like SONY wants to release a complete collection.

The list price is $24.95, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for $17.49. I would think other online retailers will sell it cheap also.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I was so happy to read in the NY Times today that Criterion has released Robinson Crusoe on Mars at last. Then I read the list price --$39.95! Huh? And there's no mention in the article of any extras. Shocking, isn't it? I'll be searching the discount websites for this one.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Criterion's stuff always costs a bundle, but the transfers are usually worth it.

Fox is releasing a three disc set that includes Hangover Square (1945) and The Lodger (1944). Amazon says it will be availible Oct, 8th.

I'm also really glad that Anne of a Thousand Days was just released. That's a great film with, awesome acting. It's also beautifully shot and has wonderful colors as well.
MissGoddess

EL CID

Post by MissGoddess »

I just read at the TCM site that El Cid will be released on January 29th as a two disc deluxe edition. A $40 Limited Edition will be released on the same day. If I learn more details I post here.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: EL CID

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:I just read at the TCM site that El Cid will be released on January 29th as a two disc deluxe edition. A $40 Limited Edition will be released on the same day. If I learn more details I post here.
Forty Samoleans??!!
Uh, I like the movie very much, but you know, I can wait for this one to turn up on Amazon as a used dvd and buy it for alot less in the near future. Thanks for letting me know about this re-emergence of one of Chuck Heston's best epics from the vaults. It's Anthony Mann's flawed beauty with Sophia Loren at the height of her haughty-yet-gorgeous phase. I also like the spare, medieval feel to the movie. Ever listened to the Miklas Rózsa score, btw? It's truly lovely too.

Now that I think of it, this film could be interesting in light of current events as well.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I have never seen El Cid so this will be my chance to discover it. Via Netflix, that is. :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

El Cid is one of the truly great epic films. "Can a man live without honor?"

On another note, Blade Runner The Final Cut will be out in December!

Also, check out the new Criterion films coming out in my thread of the same name.
MissGoddess

Re: Upcoming Releases of Classic Films on DVD

Post by MissGoddess »

Some interesting Gainsborough titles starring James Mason coming to Criterion:

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/921-ec ... Melodramas
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
norfious

Re: Upcoming Releases of Classic Films on DVD

Post by norfious »

"A Double Life" (1947) will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray September 18th!

I have personally never seen this movie, but I have heard that it is excellent. It's also the film for which Ronald Colman won an Oscar for Best Leading Role. I'm really excited for this release! :D
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.