Universal's Vault Series

News and Upcoming Releases
MichiganJ

Universal's Vault Series

Post by MichiganJ »

It looks like Universal has gotten into the on-demand DVD-r game. The Vault Series titles are exclusive to Amazon.com (at least for now).

This is just a search I did to find the titles available:
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1263337349/ ... dvd&page=1
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Universal's Vault Series

Post by movieman1957 »

I don't quite get how these are $20 and you can get something off the shelf for less than that. I'm glad they are doing at some of these may never see regular release and maybe that explains the cost.

I am not that smart though.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

While it's good to finally see both Resurrection (1980) and The Chalk Garden (1964) made available, I wouldn't pay that much for a DVD-R of either film when I own VHS to DVD copies of both and (judging from what I've heard about the Warner Archive) I assume the quality isn't much better. But I suppose some will jump at the chance to finally own these.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Like you, I think "price" is the huge obstacle. If not the marketing expenses, the next largest expense is 'shelving and warehousing' costs. Without these, I can't see any excuse for anything that exceeds Alpha Video's $5-Per prices.

We ended up with five sets of Warners Archive 10-for-$100, but they removed that 'bargain' (cough cough) a month or so ago, and are back to their $20 price range. Grrr. Well, fine - they keep their precious merchandise, and I'll have to stack my shelves with Kay Francis films. It's a tough life...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Wow! Resurrection (1980) is finally here! I recently picked up a fullscreen version, but that will soon be a gift to a needy friend. Blue Collar (1978) is also available? Mr. D and I will probably stampede ChiO to get the first copy! :P

As for price, I agree it's not cheap, but this is not a production line. These discs are made to order and what you are paying for is a custom service, not DVD quality. Is it overpriced? Absolutely, but so are regular DVDs.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on January 13th, 2010, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

BLUE COLLAR was released on DVD several years ago by Anchor Bay (now long OP); I was able to snag one off eBay a while back for (as I recall) under ten bucks. And it's a beautiful transfer with a great commentary by Paul Schrader.
The only titles from the Universal Vault Series I've picked up thus far are THE MAD GHOUL and HOUSE OF HORRORS, two of my favorite 40s Universal horror Bs. Incidentally, these appear not to be DVD-Rs after all (like the Warner Archive titles) but honest-to-goodness DVDs. Pic and sound quality are excellent!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Somebody didn't like the copy of Ruggles of the Red Gap. Am I understanding correctly that you order a copy form Universal's vaults and they press a copy for you? These films will never turn up on a DVD rental service? Are Warner's discs the same?

I agree they are pricey but if it was a film I'd been after seeing for ages, I would have to pay the price. The disadvantage at these prices is that you can only buy the odd one or two.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Dewey1960 wrote:The only titles from the Universal Vault Series I've picked up thus far are THE MAD GHOUL and HOUSE OF HORRORS, two of my favorite 40s Universal horror Bs
It's interesting that Universal has some Vault titles exclusive to TCM and others exclusive to Amazon. Don't quite understand that.
charliechaplinfan wrote:Somebody didn't like the copy of Ruggles of the Red Gap.
It looks like the Ruggles guy at Amazon is upset at the on-demand policy and is simply rating that, not the disc itself, which he apparently hasn't seen.
charliechaplinfan wrote:These films will never turn up on a DVD rental service? Are Warner's discs the same?
In the US, I think Netflix is carrying some of the Archive titles, but I'm not a member so am not sure.
charliechaplinfan wrote:I agree they are pricey but if it was a film I'd been after seeing for ages, I would have to pay the price. The disadvantage at these prices is that you can only buy the odd one or two.

I've purchased quite a number of the Warner Archive titles--most of the silents and a bunch of the early talkie musicals, and overall, I'm very happy with their product and service (although their actual web site could use some serious help.)

I agree that the $20 price point is a bit steep, but if you are patient, there are sales and various coupon codes that make the discs more affordable. (I haven't paid more than $10 plus the tax for a title--and I always make sure I order enough for the free shipping.)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Perhaps Universal's discs will come down in price after the initial launch.

The ordering more to get free postage gets me everytime, I just can't pay postage costs, I have to order more.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

MichiganJ wrote: I agree that the $20 price point is a bit steep, but if you are patient, there are sales and various coupon codes that make the discs more affordable. (I haven't paid more than $10 plus the tax for a title--and I always make sure I order enough for the free shipping.)
What does "price point" mean? I've heard it used on TV lately, which kind of makes me think it doesn't mean anything at all -- but is it an economics term?
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

jdb1 wrote: What does "price point" mean? I've heard it used on TV lately, which kind of makes me think it doesn't mean anything at all -- but is it an economics term?
According to Mirriam-Webster, "price point" has had a meaning since 1900:

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/price%20point

Function: noun
Date: 1900
: the standard price set by the manufacturer for a product
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

MGM's DVD-r selection. I don't know if they are exclusive to Amazon or not.
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1260924175/ ... mgm%20dvdr
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

CCFan, yes, these are only available 'on order' but we'll be getting quite a few, I believe.
movieman

Post by movieman »

According to another forum "The Chalk Garden" is in interlaced 1.85:1 widescreen and is not anamorphic.
Looks like most Vault titles are interlaced. But, so far only this widescreen title is reported as not anamorphic.

I ordered "Kitten With a Whip" yesterday. It's, according to the other forum, in interlaced, anamorphic widescreen.

A big reason for my ordering of it is the current price on amazon.com. A few of the titles are now discounted to $... what the!!!???...
I just now looked at the amazon listing for the movie:
price yesterday $15.99
price today $17.99

Well, well... what is this?

Anyway, I hope it looks nice on my setup.

Mr. Even B
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

movieman wrote:According to another forum "The Chalk Garden" is in interlaced 1.85:1 widescreen and is not anamorphic.
Well, this is what I've been waiting to find out, though I would like to check on print quality as well. If the print isn't better looking than the pan and scan that I have, there's no point in spending 15$ at this juncture, especially as I'm unemployed.

I'm actually surprised to hear that the play adaptation The Chalk Garden is a widescreen film. The pan and scan that I have appears to leave out nothing, on the surface. Most conversations take place with the actors well within the frame. And much of the action occurs on an old-fashioned estate boasting architecture that isn't what I'd call bold or avant-garde, so it's not like there are multiple opportunities for impressive widescreen shots. Still, I'd rather have the film as it was originally shot rather than a bastardization, provided that it's a good print.

I'm still waiting to read trustworthy and comprehensive reviews before rendering a verdict on whether these titles will go on my wishlist.

-Stephen