Netflix Films Streaming and DVD By Mail

News and Upcoming Releases
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Netflix Films Streaming and DVD By Mail

Post by moira finnie »

I don't know why, but I am still able to browse Hulu without signing up for Hulu Plus (this is true on Chrome and Firefox for me). Maybe this is because I signed up for their basic access long ago?

I had to give up Netflix about a year ago, though they still beg me to re-join their cult as a member. It doesn't look as though I can browse there any longer without becoming a member again. Silly Netflix, you'll never get me that way!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

LOVE your avatar, Moira!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think the Hulu problem I had a month or so ago is gone... I just went over there and I was able to look around without being blocked by the big green HULU PLUS ad that acted as a firewall between me and the site. I wonder if it was temporary, or if it was because I was trying to browse from a Kindle Kire?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've noticed this about Netflix too. I attempt to browse or look up movies by title. Can't do it! You have to sign on. Is this supposed to ATTRACT business? You'd think they'd want people to know their inventory.

How helpful is streaming? Does Hulu have thousands of movies? Does Netflix? This is something that would motivate me to get my own computer. But I've heard the selection is limited.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Netflix has quite a few classic movies, but they are mostly ones you've already seen and can get readily (The Lady Eve, The Letter, The Third Man, for instance). I still have a ton of movies in my streaming queue that I haven't seen, like odd classics (Diary of a Chambermaid and Spectre of the Rose), foreign films, a few silents I haven't seen, and more modern films, so it's worth it to me to keep on with it.

I wouldn't say they were steadily adding obscure films, except for weird British B noirs and comedies and extremely obscure westerns. Don't know why they have gone that direction.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:How helpful is streaming? Does Hulu have thousands of movies? Does Netflix? This is something that would motivate me to get my own computer. But I've heard the selection is limited.
Streaming is great if you want to see the movie now and not wait for the red envelope in the mail (I confess: I lost several envelopes and even mailed back an empty envelope once by mistake). Online streaming Netflix used to allow you to watch a movie up to a point and then return to it later. They also had obscure movies (those British B Noirs can be fun) and newer stuff available for streaming was helpful. However, the recent loss of many older films from their inventory doesn't bode well for my return there. Now that Lynn gleaned the news from the TCM festival that there might be a streaming TCM in the future (no guarantees, though it looks like a possible business branch for the future), I think it would be terrific for those of us who already pay for cable mostly so we can see TCM to get more of their movies via a Roku on our tvs or on our computers online.

I don't see streaming movies going away, but it does seem to be a way for distributing companies to keep a hold on their product. I still like the idea of having a movie in my library so that I can see it again when I want it--not when it is available via a corporation. Call me madcap!

Thanks for the avatar compliment, Wen. It makes me feel good to see that Edward Everett Horton could greet the day with such zest (not bad for a lad of 127, eh?). Is that Marie Windsor being snarky and blonde in The Killing in your newest avatar?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Streaming is the future.

I still have my DVD and streaming accounts with Netflix. I imagine most of their streaming titles are newer films and a great deal of TV. They did lose about 1800 titles last month when a big contract ran out but there is still some titles worth seeing. Now I wouldn't go out and buy a new TV for its internet capability if you don't need a new TV but if you have one (and it sure beats watching stuff on a computer) then I think streaming is pretty neat. You now have all those titles in your film library.

We have Amazon Prime too so I can watch many titles for free as well. The only trouble there is the menu on the TV doesn't bring up just the free titles. You have to sort through other groupings and then look to see if they are free. Other wise you can rent for $3 or $4 or buy them. With VUDU and the others mentioned this is only going to get bigger.

With Netflix's big mistake last year about separating the streaming and DVD groups it is clear to me that someday they will phase out the DVDs,
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i agree with chris that the trend definitely seems to be going toward streaming. there are gazillions of sites besides the big players that offer almost every movie you can imagine for streaming.

i even read that YouTube is about to expand its channels that require payment to view their movies. this makes finding that odd film on YouTube (for free) a little harder since they will be even more vigilant about shutting down unauthorized uploads.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I hate to think that streaming-only is the way of the future... I like a hard copy myself, which is why I don't pay for amazon films most of the time, with the occasional exception. I know Netflix is payed for streaming, but I still get dvd's from them so I can somehow still justify it. However, I'm sure that if it goes toward streaming-only there will be others out there who will figure out a way to copy from that technology too.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The one thing I miss with streaming is the special features. You can't get commentary or "making of" segments or some of the goodies that only we here likely enjoy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a great point! I find it frustrating when I get a bonus features disc from rental only after I sent back the first disc. But I also have to admit that lately, I've got so many movies to watch, I don't usually watch the commentary or bonus features.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:The one thing I miss with streaming is the special features. You can't get commentary or "making of" segments or some of the goodies that only we here likely enjoy.
yes, you definitely get less, though you'd think they would find a way around that.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

One of the problems we may find with streaming as we go forward is the amount of bandwith and the cost connected to that bandwith.

As more and more people use streaming to watch television and movies, the more bandwith is used.

Internet providers will likely jump on that bandwagon and begin to charge more $$ for the needed bandwith. It will likely be a tiered pricing. Stream all the time, it may end up costing you way more than it does now.

Stream less frequently, that will cost you a lesser amount but a cost will be charged.

I'm not a big fan of streaming because of the buffering and stuttering that interrupts the flow of what we are watching (and we even have high speed internet). So, we much prefer to watch DVD/Blus or pay per view. Unfortunately, you don't get any of the bonus features (which are often as good as the film/tv show). :evil:

But, I think there is still a big shake-out to come in the way we stream movies and I think many people who frequently stream may be in for a surprise when internet providers figure out a way to get more of the price pie.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

One other aspect of the lack of extras available in most streaming video today is that just before companies such as Fox and others decided that DVDs with special features were not worthwhile, many, many commentaries and interviews with scholars, cast and crew were compiled and recorded. Today the majority of them sit on archive shelves benefiting no one, least of all the public. If companies go forward with this streaming surge, unearthing these historically significant extras and offering them to the public could provide them with some legitimate extra revenue.

Does anyone else think that the streaming trend will foster an even larger black market in DVDs (if that is possible)?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If I take the plunge, I'd want to be confident that A LOT of classic era movies are available for streaming. Otherwise, it would do me no good.