Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol - published at last

The place for film-trading!
rudyfan

Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol - published at last

Post by rudyfan »

At long last, I can and am ecstatic to announce the availability of Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol His Life in Photographs.

The book may be purchased on line direct from the publisher, blurb.com via the following (corrected) link:

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/1439029

Blurb has a preview of approximately 25 random pages. I will be updating that as well.

I will be updating my website as well as on my blog in the next day or so with this information as well.

It's been a long process, a rewarding one and I hope the result is something that you will enjoy.
Last edited by rudyfan on June 28th, 2010, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol - published at last

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Donna, I'm so happy for you :D . I tried to follow the link but my connection won't allow me. Is it listed on Amazon or is it better to go through the publishers?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Donna, I'm so happy for you :D . I tried to follow the link but my connection won't allow me. Is it listed on Amazon or is it better to go through the publishers?
While I have an ISBN, it's not yet going to be offered on amazon at this point (too complicated to explain here)

Try going to blurb.com and then search for Rudolph Valentino. Right now since it is print on demand, best to order direct from blurb (they're also based in the UK, so you should be able to get it easily). Allison, thank you for your support!
charliechaplinfan

Donna, I've located the book and had a browse, it looks gorgeous. I started ordering my copy and then thought about the import duty, if it gets into the customs hands all kinds of charges are levied. It might be straight forward, it might be printed here, so I've asked them the question. It won't put my off getting my copy, hopefully they'll be prompt with their reply and I'll by ordering my copy very soon.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

The link above has been corrected, FYI. Sorry!
charliechaplinfan

Here's the review I posted on the What Have You Read lately thread. I'm absolutely thrilled by the book Donna, using Blurb was easy too and I got very quick delivery, I was very impressed with them. I will say more when I've had chance to settle down and read more.

I'm reading Silent Idol His Life in Photographs by our very own Rudyfan. First impressions, I'm very impressed by the layout and the quality of the book and the speed of delivery. It's the first book I've ordered from blurb.com. I've managed to have quick flick through and read of some of the text, there are some rare and personal pictures of Rudy, something Donna has tried to portray with this book and I think she's managed. You won't buy this book for a tell all about his life, it's rewards instead come in the 400 plus photographs that are held within it's pages, showing the life of one of the most photographed men of the twentieth century. From what I've seen so far it's a book to cherish.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

WOW! RudyFan I congratulate you most sincerely---I am looking at the preview right now on blurb.com and am completely impressed by the beauty and quality of this work. I hope you sell a million. Gorgeous job, you should be proud. I'm also dying to learn more about this website/publisher.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Wow, Alison! Thank you!

I'm thrilled with the response. The book has been welcomed by everyone who has ordered a copy and the feedback has been 110% positive. For a book that is at this point only going on by word of mouth, the sales have been impressive for a book that is just over 2 weeks old.

To explain a bit more about the book and blurb, here's an interview I did recently about the book and the subject of blurb came up.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7605 ... -Valentino

If anyone has specific questions about using blurb, I will be happy to talk to you. I won't be dishonest and say the process was not filled with headaches. Blurb's software program is not the best in some instances, but it has evolved and improved since I first decided to go with them. They also offer new options to design using other programs and upload. I'm 100% happy with the quality. Yes, the book is more expensive than I would have liked. I had no control over that. That said, compared to the other vanity press options available from the major publishers, this was far less expensive and allowed me total freedom and control over the content.

I won't get rich on this, but money was never the goal, it was an is a labor of love. I hope that shows in the end.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Congratulations Donna, I have been perusing through your book and the blurb webpage and I'm very impressed, especially by the rareness of the photographs included and the quality of the edition.

Sadly, Blurb does not ship to Chile.
charliechaplinfan

I have very much enjoyed your book Donna. I haven't put it down since it arrived through the post. I've read your article and I can say with my hand on my heart that you have achieved what you set out to do. I commend both your choice of photographs, which are lovely and the excellent print quality of the book. From a customers point of view blurb were very easy to deal with. For anyone wanting a copy from outside America my copy shipped from Switzerland.

This book has 400 photographs and you are apologising to us about the price, it's not dear, it's on the nose for this quality of book.

I have too many favorites, well OK my absolute favorite is one of Valentino and Chaplin sat together in their swimming suits looking very tanned and healthy, how I wish I could have sat in between them, now how spoilt for choice would I be? Then I thought of Pola who had known them both intimately.

Valentino had a great affinity for children and animals, I love the pictures of him with his nephew and with Clarence Brown's daughter, that look she has on her face when she looks at him. Natacha often poses for the camera, hiding her feelings, you've picked pictures here that don't always show that cool reserve that she's known for.

It gives us some impression too of the amount of publicity and intrusion of the press. Good for us that he has been captured so often. Some pictures are bittersweet to look at, the parting from Natacha and the last pictures before he died. His hair was thinning and he looked tired but this could have been hidden in his films, he could have gone on. His last two films are amongst his best and I love his flair for comedy.

It's truly a beautiful book.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

I am overwhelmed ccfan.

Feaito, I will be offering direct sales after the first book events are done for those unable to order from blurb direct. BTW, guess what just came back in the mail to me? The Magician! So I owe it to you again.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just looked at the preview and your book looks wonderful! Its design is gorgeous, just what you would want in a classic movie book. I love how sleek it is.

and I love the back cover! :D Congratulations!
feaito

Post by feaito »

rudyfan wrote:I am overwhelmed ccfan.

Feaito, I will be offering direct sales after the first book events are done for those unable to order from blurb direct. BTW, guess what just came back in the mail to me? The Magician! So I owe it to you again.
OK Donna that's fine, thank you very much. Since I have relatives living in the USA I'll check if I can use my Chilean Credit Card to pay and have the book sent to an address within the USA, so one of my relatives may send it to me by mail. BTW, don't worry about "The Magician", somebody else shared it with me in the meantime my friend. I thought it had been lost in the mail. Thank you very much for your good intentions and a continued good luck with the sales of your beautiful book. :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Donna,

As one author to another, I see a classic movie, drinks/dinner me buying a book and you autographing it in our future!

The Paramount has some good films next month as does the Stanford. And, if we choose to stay in SF, I'm betting we can find something at the Castro.

We have Tommy Kirk coming to the Museum on August 21st to talk about working on Swiss Family Robinson.

Let me know if you want to be there!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Tommy Kirk? Can you get his autograph for me! Wow!!

Lynn, one of the signed copies of your book, Las Vegas, 1905-1965, is now at our library.

Rudyfan, your book is lovely, and I wish you all the best. It is fantastic.
I hope everyone visits the link above to see your handiwork!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor