What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
knitwit45

Re: What are you reading?

Post by knitwit45 »

I had to laugh, one of my favorite scenes in the first Christopher Reeve Superman movie was the first time we see him ripping open his shirt, running toward a phone booth, only to find instead, one of the open pedestal replacements.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I remember that scene! What on earth does Superman do now? Squeeze into a cell phone case?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We like our lending libraries, they are state funded and need to be continued to be so. We do have problems in some areas with vandalism, I guess these lovely phone booths will have been lovingly restored and looked after in smaller communities where everyone knows everybody and have a sense of responsibility. We're by no means free of the problems of youths with nothing to do and nowhere to go and no respect but there are far more people who do care and hold community events.

Do you have the Scouts Association in America? And Brownies and Guides?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote: Do you have the Scouts Association in America? And Brownies and Guides?
Yes,

We have the following ...
Sea Scouts - I don't know much about it
Explorer Scouts ... extension of Boy Scouts of America
Boy Scouts of America
Cub Scouts of America
Girl Scouts of America
Brownies, Girl Guides ... etc.

http://kidsclubs.about.com/od/choosingj ... outing.htm

Here is an excellent list Allison. Click on the link above.
I was in Scouting myself ... Eagle Scout. Highest Rank in Scouting
charliechaplinfan

Thanks for the link Erik, it sounds the same organisation that we have, that I expected really. Libby is a guide, Joe is a beaver scout, both really enjoy themselves and both are going on orienteering weekends soon.

An Eagle scout, that is high up :)
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My neighbor and her dog are in the dog scouts. I don't exactly know what it is, but it sounds like they have a great time, learning new things like scenting or tracking, and other activities.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Sugar would probably be kicked out of Dog Scouts. "Does not play well with others!"
charliechaplinfan

Ha, Lara would be completely distracted, all the lessons I've taught her go over her head when she sees another canine to play with.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm reading something kind of different. It's called ROOM. I forget the author's name. It's fiction, about a five year-old boy born in captivity. His mother was kidnapped and held prisoner, giving birth to the boy in the ROOM they share, the only place young Jack has ever seen. They have a TV. Jack has a vague idea of OUTSIDE. But to him, it's all make believe.

The story is told from Jack's point of view, and has that "Stranger In a Strange Land" quality. It's sad, disturbing and frightening. Mother and son finally escape (I won't spoil any more than that). Mom is thrilled to be out. Jack? He's lost the only world he's ever known. He'd just as soon go back to ROOM. As his mother tells hungry reporters, people are treated worse than that every day. All over the world. "We're not unique."

I haven't finished the book yet. Unless the story completely comes apart, I very much recommend it.
charliechaplinfan

I've been reading Zeitoun by Dave Eggers it's about a Muslim American family and the aftermath of hurricane katrina, I struggled to put this book down, I was very struck by the writing and the experiences the people of New Orleans had and all that the family went through. Through it all it seemed they were all sustained by their strong faith and love for one another. Being curious I looked up the family online, just to see what they looked like, imagine my dismay when I discover that they've now been split up, he's in jail for conspiring to have his wife and eldest son murdered. I wonder how much the strain of the ordeal contributed to this end. I don't know if this is a known story in the US, I happened on it because of Amazon recommendations but moved I certainly was.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just read my very first Cornell Woolrich story! I had a hard time finding any of his books here at the library, and none were available on kindle when I last looked, but yesterday I found a set of four stories for a small price.

I read Eyes That Watch You.

I got up early this morning so I could have some extra time to read, and went through the story like a house afire. Breathtakingly simple, perfectly written. The story is about an elderly woman, paralyzed from the neck down, with no power to talk. She lives for only a few things, mainly to see the sun in the sky once a day, and to hear her son come home from work and greet her. One day, thinking company has come, she hears her daughter-in-law planning the murder of the husband/son. How will she ever save him when she has no power to move or speak? Surprising how much she accomplishes.

Gosh, it was marvelous, so satisfying, and it made me cry at the end so vivid was the picture in my mind of all the characters. Of course, in my mind's eye, the characters were all played by actors and actresses of classic film! The best part about it was the internal voice of the speechless lady. Loved it. It's the first noirish crime drama I've ever read that was actually heartwarming! Highly recommended. A WONDERFUL book.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That sounds scintillating, Wendy! And SO Woolrich. Kind of like REAR WINDOW, but not exactly. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this storyline wound up on Hitchcock's TV show!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It was so good, Red! I agree, it does sound so do-able on screen with a simple voice-over, especially for Hitchcock Presents or something like. Classic story well told. I couldn't put it down. Lucky for me it was short, cause my daughter got up early too!

There are a lot of movies with helpless bedridden victims, I can think of two very suspenseful ones just off the top of my head - Sorry, Wrong Number and Night Must Fall immediately come to mind. I was way past the edge of my seat reading this one, trying to figure out what she was going to do, how she could possibly get help without being able to move or talk. Luckily, her handicap meant that the murderers underestimated her. It would have been a great addition to our theme on TCM this month.
charliechaplinfan

We have A Young Man's Heart and The Night Has a Thousand Eyes available for kindle but they aren't cheap, yet, I've noticed that prices on ebooks often come down.

They sound right up my street though.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, I spent too much on the 4 stories, 9.99, but I just wanted to read him, and all the other books are at least that or more, so I settled for the one that had the most titles for the money. :D