What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
feaito

Re: What are you reading?

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Yes, it is definitely a saudade feeling in the book... I will definitely watch that series as soon as I am done reading the excellent novel. And then I will see if I can get a copy of that Haunted Screen movie book. I think you and I are closest as far as these films are concerned, they are my favorite sub-genre of classic film.

I can't wait for you to see Lang's Liliom, to hear what you have to say. It's very very different from the Borzage version.
I also feel the connection WEN. Portrait of Jennie is my number one favorite film of all time and Letter is among the top five as well...I have already seen Lang's version and revisited Borzage's film as well; I posted a couple of commentso my FB wall. I loved Lang's film 9/10. For me it has one of Boyer's finest performances ever.
kingrat wrote:Feaito, you might like Truly, Madly, Deeply. Give it a try. Anthony Minghella is a good director, Juliet Stevenson is quite good as the widow, and Alan Rickman is surprisingly attractive cast against type in a romantic role.

And what other film has the line, "I can't believe these dead people are in my living room watching videos"?
Thanks for the recommendation Kingrat. I'll look for it. Rickman is a great actor. I can't understand why the author included "Ghost" along with such treasures as Jennie, Letter, Wuthering Heights, Ghost and Mrs. Muir et al. It'd be like including and/or comparing "Pretty Woman" along/with "The Lady Eve".
Last edited by feaito on August 27th, 2013, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I will check out your wall, Fer, I am really excited to see what you said. Portrait of Jennie and Ghost and Mrs. Muir are two great favorites of mine, but I could pretty much say that I like every movie in this genre.

I think Boyer and Lang capture the feeling of the original play sooooo very well. The movie benefits from the humor injected toward the end, and not too much sentimentality in the more dramatic parts (I think it could actually use a bit more). It's my favorite Lang so far.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

feaito wrote:I did not read the two essays on the two contemporary films analysed: "Ghost" and "Truly, Madly, Deeply", because I did not see them and I'm not interested.
I can recommend the 1990 film Ghost highly, highly. I can't watch it without tearing up. This is a good movie for people who believe in true love and soul mates. But not recommended for anyone who has recently lost same -- the film was released shortly after my father passed away, and I implored my step mother not to see it. :( :cry:

I attempted to watch Truly, Madly, Deeply this weekend, but couldn't get past the beginning where the woman's apartment had a rodent infestation problem. Had to switch it off, creeped-out. :x
Professional Tourist

Masha wrote:It has been my unfortunate experience to find wonderful ideas buried in horrible narration. . . .
What an intriguing observation, Masha. 8) That might be similar to watching a bad musical play that ends up having one really good song. :)

You're kind of a groovy person, you know? 8) 8) :D :oops:
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Masha, I've not read any books by Terry Pratchett, but he is one of my husband's favorite authors. The books are a blend of fantasy and humor. I say, give them a try.

Sandy K
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like both those Peckinpah films.
Professional Tourist

I finished Paul Henreid's autobiography, "Ladies' Man," this week. It was wonderful. I could hear his voice in each sentence. Every page held my attention, it was never dull at all. What an interesting life and nice guy. I would have liked if the book had been longer and more detailed -- sometimes I'd notice that he'd skip over a few years, and I'd feel disappointed. :D I didn't always agree with the choices he made or the approaches he took in certain situations, but we all make mistakes and hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Highly recommended book, an easy breezy read, good for bedtime. 8) 8)
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'll keep in mind your recommendation PT.

I read Eben Alexander's "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife", a short book on his experiences after being in coma for seven days or so, which very much reflect what I've always believed about the so-called "afterlife". A book which uplifts one's spirits.

Yesterday I began "Queen Anne - The Politics of Passion" by Anne Somerset, which so far has been a very engrossing read.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm thinking of doing some E-reading this weekend. Nothing in particular. Just to see if I like it!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Masha for sharing those personal experiences of your fiancé and you. I have never had any such experiences and I am always willing to read about other people's views of this subject and experiences of this kind. In 2011 I underwent a long duodenopancreatectomy that lasted around 6 hours and I was in intensive care for 4 days, but I did not experience anything like it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I've not had any near death experiences in my reading. But I have had the experience of reading a book that made me laugh my silly head off...

Image Image

...and enjoyed the poignancy of love and life. I just finished George Burns' book, and am now in the process of reading about Helen Hayes. I'm still at the beginning of the beginning of Miss Hayes' life. Interesting.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com