What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: What are you reading?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's not too expensive for a book you're going to read more than once, Amazon here let you return for refund within a week so if I ever pick a book and I don't like it I have that option, I've only done it 3 times.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It isn't very expensive, but I have absolutely no room for luxuries at this point. I could have picked something for free after all, there are plenty of classics like that.
charliechaplinfan

I know, me too, after all there are libraries too but sometimes we deserve something too. I find it hard to justify spending on myself, it's certainly gone down to practically zilch in the last couple of years, I just don't do it unless Chris is there, I guess not earning anymore I just don't feel I deserve a book now and again. We do have kindle daily deals, they're usually 99p, I might fancy 2 a month, it's not going to break the bank. And with Christmas coming up I'm hoping to get Amazon vouchers to fund my kindle habit. Do you know what happened when I got vouchers for my birthday? Chris spent them on a lawnmower!! The account has always been in my name, he ordered his lawnmower and my credit was gone. That's one time I did spend his money :lol:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh that's not fair! I think you deserve a kindle book or two as interest for the taking of his lawnmower money. :D

I have so many books on my shelves here, I can't even buy anymore because I have no place to put them. Some are sets from my mom and dad, and others are hardcovers that I got from the library book fairs over the years, I find old books very pretty and so I kept buying and buying classics in leather covers with gilt on them. That was before I had Alice though, when I had money from work. We do deserve a book here and there, but I feel the same way about the money, Andrew's worked hard to earn it, and we have Alice's birthday and Christmas coming up which is more important than my little book cravings.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

it does sound so do-able on screen with a simple voice-over

My favorite Hitchcock TV show features Joseph Cotton, unable to move or speak after an accident. And about to buried alive! THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES is not one of my favorites. But that's just me. I didn't find it too exciting. A YOUNG MAN'S HEART? Not familiar with that one. $9.99 is pretty reasonable. A lot of paperbacks go for that now.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, I am going to look for that Hitchcock episode, it sounds great! I love Joseph Cotten.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Breakdown." November 13, 1955. Directed Mr. Alfred Hitchcock. My mom used to tell us the story. No wonder I turned out a little weird!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And here it is:

[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, thanks guys for really being on the ball. The funny thing is, I just started watching that season of AHP from 1955, streaming from Netflix, but I've only had time to watch the first episode with Ralph Meeker and Vera Miles.
charliechaplinfan

We're going to have to cut back on Christmas this year, last year Joe wanted a bike so that was an expensive Christmas, this year he doesn't know so we'll get him lots of little bits and pieces. They both seem to be inbetween fads at the moment, which is a relief.

Thank you for that clip, I'll get to it later :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've started reading The Third Man. Fascinating in that whole chunks of dialogue were lifted for the movie. The movie seems to be very faithful to the book, except that Holly's name in the book is Rollo. I think Holly is ever so much better and very descriptive of him. I'd say the movie actually fleshes out the setting and the plain creepiness of the story more than the book so far.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I believe Graham Greene wrote the screenplay first, then fashioned it into a novel. That doesn't explain why he'd change the name of a character. But I think that's what I read.
charliechaplinfan

I read The Third Man when I was young. Rollo is a upperclass English name, not used much today and Holly, here is a girl's name, that will be why the name was different in the book, I've never come across a guy named Holly apart from in The Third Man, we put it down to American eccentricities :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Neither have I, but it suits the character far more than Rollo. Holly (as a name) seems sort of 'pie in the sky' dreamy or maybe even frivolous, light. It's a perfect name for the character as far as I am concerned.

In the book, Rollo is a torn man, quite nice when sober, but prone to fits of stupid violence and stubbornness when drunk. He keeps saying he'll never fall in love again, but always falling, and for the wrong girl, then getting drunk and messing it all up. He is innocent, but has gotten into 'troubles' which are not elaborated on, but the inference is that he gets involved with women and it always ends badly.

The best thing about the book is that it's narrated by Callaghan....er... I mean Calloway. :D I think the movie mostly dispenses with this narration, except for the first scene, but it's quite effective.
charliechaplinfan

It's a rare case of a film I prefer more than the book, it's years ago but Rollo wasn't quite how I remember Joseph Cotten's Holly from the film. Good point about the name, it fits with the character perfectly.

Another name we don't use here is Mitt, is that short for something? Joe asked me this morning and I couldn't answer him.