"Lost" Movies Found on YouTube

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

"Lost" Movies Found on YouTube

Post by moira finnie »

Here's a spot to post links to some very rare videos of entire movies that seem to have fallen off the radar. A few, like The Story of Temple Drake, have never been broadcast as far as I know, may only be shown occasionally nor have they received a commercial release. Where possible, I've linked to the entire movie, otherwise this will allow you to see the first approximately 10 minutes of a film, and the rest is also on youtube. None of the titles shown below are snippets, they are the full length movie, broken down in parts following the youtube format.

Others, are among the MIA movies. Who knows how long these will be on youtube...enjoy

The Story of Temple Drake (1933): Miriam Hopkins & Jack LaRue in a movie adaptation of Faulkner's Sanctuary:
[youtube][/youtube]

Margie (1946): Jeanne Crain & Alan Young
[youtube][/youtube]

Devil's Doorway (1950): early Anthony Mann Western with Robert Taylor, James Mitchell & Louis Calhern
[youtube][/youtube]

Exils: de Hitler à Hollywood (subtitled) - 1/9: From Hitler to Hollywood documentary about the diaspora of talent from Nazi Germany, that was recently broadcast on PBS:
[youtube][/youtube]

Third Man on the Mountain (1959): James MacArthur & Michael Rennie in a nearly forgotten Disney flick.
[youtube][/youtube]

The Great Gatsby (1949) (with Portuguese subtitles): not a perfect rendition of Fitzgerald, but Alan Ladd and Howard Da Silva are fine here and deserve to be remembered. Far superior to the much glossier '70s version. A scene to be remembered: Ladd's nervous anticipation waiting to see Daisy Buchanan after many years :
[youtube][/youtube]

His Butler's Sister (1943): Frank Borzage directed Deanna Durbin, Franchot Tone & Pat O'Brien in a spritely little musical.
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by moira finnie on February 4th, 2009, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Not that it may matter but Devil's Doorway ran on TCM last summer or fall. I caught it as well.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Not that it may matter but Devil's Doorway ran on TCM last summer or fall. I caught it as well.
Yeah, Chris, it does run occasionally on TCM, but I wish I had a nickel for every time someone writes with regret that they missed it. This should also be on dvd now. There's a big bunch of Anthony Mann fans out there who would pay good money for it.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Margie is an excellent little-known Henry King. I recorded it on French TV a few years back. Definitely a must-see! 8)
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Oh, man, Margie on YouTube! Someone posted on the TCM boards yesterday that Margie was being shown on one of the Cinemax channels this month. I have been wanting to see Margie again for over a decade! I'm hoping that the film's re-emergence means that Fox Movie Channel or TCM will show it this year.

I don't know if I could handle watching an entire feature film on YouTube...but I might have to see at least part of Margie. I always remember her debate topic: Keep the Marines out of Nicaragua!

The Story of Temple Drake has always intrigued me...hey, don't you people know that I have work to do today! I can't spend my day watching YouTube and posting on message boards! :lol:

thanks for posting those!

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It was my pleasure to inhibit you from contributing to the nation's GNP, Sandy! :wink:

I've been longing to see Margie again for many moons too. While I'm hoping that FMC starts unearthing more of the treasure trove in its vaults too, if youtube is the only place I can see some of these movies, so be it. I'm also crossing my fingers that the recently increased number of Fox movies on TCM indicates that this delightful little movie, (along with some others, such as the early Fox films, Zoo in Budapest, Blood Money, the domestic comedies such as Father Was a Fullback and several Clifton Webb movies, more film noirs such as The Dark Corner, Robert Siodmak's Cry of the City, and some of the less well known Paul Douglas) vehicles might find their way onto TCM too in the future.

Sometimes I don't think these companies realize how entertaining these movies really are.
Last edited by moira finnie on February 4th, 2009, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moira, here's a real favourite of mine. Hobson's Choice. In the past I've had American movie buffs surprised by saying character actress Brenda De Banzie was real attractive in this film, one of her few leading roles

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I sat down to watch this Monday by way of a TCM Guest Programmer night from November. Something came up and got in the way. It's still on my pile to see.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, do yourself an immense favor, and watch Hobson's Choice asap. You will be delighted by John Mills, Brenda DeBanzie, and that old reprobate, Charles Laughton. When the story moves from Papa to Daughter, the movie just sails!

Nancy
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's the highlight from The Blue Lamp, which sees Dirk Bogarde kill P.C George Dixon. Little did anyone realise that Dixon would be brought back to life for the 20-yr run cop show Dixon Of Dock Green

[youtube][/youtube]
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

John Mills again Scott Of The Antartic

[youtube][/youtube]
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Just found a scene from a nice little romantic comedy called
The Love Match. It's not one I would have hand picked from the movie, but it's all I could find
[youtube][/youtube]
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Just found a nice little dance routine from Tommy The Torador, with young Tommy Steele, Sid James and Bernard Cribbens. I think this was the begining of Tommy breaking away from his rock an roll image to all round entertainer

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

My Sin (1931)

Post by moira finnie »

My Sin (1931): a rarely seen pre-code with Fredric March doing his noble soul sinking to the lower depths routine and with Tallulah Bankhead doing her inimitable Fallen Woman bit. Can this couple save one another? What do you think? :wink:
[youtube][/youtube]
This is part one of the movie. The rest of the film can be seen on Youtube.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Oh, I found another one - LETTY LYNTON

[youtube][/youtube]