"Lost" Movies Found on YouTube

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Jezebel38

Re: "Lost" Movies Found on YouTube

Post by Jezebel38 »

Thank-goodness this site has been restored! I had stumbled across another rare film on Youtube about a week ago, but couldn't share my "find" with any of you! So here is another tltle I had long wished to see, and hope any other fellow romantics here will enjoy: BERKELEY SQUARE (1933) with Leslie Howard.
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

How are you finding these? What criteria are you searching?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh! This is a treasure trove! Thank you!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Jezebel, Thanks!! Great news!! "Berkeley Square" (1933)!!! I can't believe it. I have been longing to see that film for decades.

This weekend I'll make a point of watching it and "Guest in the House" (1944)

As I have said before, thanks to this site I have been able to see "His Woman" (1931), "The Story of Temple Drake" (1933) and "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" (1973).

Apparently there are many other obscure films available on youtube, like Gary Cooper's "Only the Brave" (1930).

I'll keep searching for more rarities!
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Fernando -

We seem to be watching the same films lately - I just finished THE FURIES (as it was highly recommended here), GUEST INTHE HOUSE arrives tomorrow from Netflix, I came across HIS WOMAN on Youtube and will watch it soon. I also see another title I've been wanting to see on Youtube, THE GREEKS HAD A WORD FOR THEM, but the print looks pretty washed out.

Judith - sometimes I just search for titles and get lucky, but it helps to put the date of the film in. And then I always scroll through the "related videos" they include to the right and that's where I see titles posted by the same user, then I look up the user's page. Just the past week I found a couple users; Marablais & Oldaba who have posted a bunch of old British films - that's how I found BERKELEY SQUARE. Marablaise has a bunch of James Mason & Dirk Bogarde films which I need to take a look at.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Jezebel38 wrote:Fernando -

We seem to be watching the same films lately - I just finished THE FURIES (as it was highly recommended here), GUEST INTHE HOUSE arrives tomorrow from Netflix, I came across HIS WOMAN on Youtube and will watch it soon. I also see another title I've been wanting to see on Youtube, THE GREEKS HAD A WORD FOR THEM, but the print looks pretty washed out.
That's kind of uncanny Jezebel 8) ...and The Greeks Had a Word for Them is another film I'd like to see. Thank God for Youtube!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here's The Greeks Had a Word For Them (1932) aka Three Broadway Girls, which is said to be one of the reasons why the Production Code got teeth, though it may seem a bit tame now.

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here's an interesting sounding movie that eagle-eyed Bronxgirl alerted me to on the TCM board--Ann Harding and Basil Rathbone in Love From a Stranger (1937) based on an Agatha Christie story. It's very engrossing so far and begins below as a young woman living a humdrum life wins a lottery...

[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

I loved that film! Great Thriller. I wish I had a good copy, the Alpha print is terribly bad.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Wow - this is awesome. Someday, no film will be out of our reach, will it? Keep posting the finds, friends.
B
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

This isn't really a "lost" film, but kinda rare and someone over at that OTHER board was asking about this film, so I though some here might be interested in a link to the 1956 German film about THE TRAPP FAMILY. I remember seeing this film with my family in the theatre circa 1960-61 when I was about 5 years old.

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Chalk Garden (1960-Ronald Neame) with Deborah Kerr, Edith Evans, John & Hayley Mills. Not available on DVD and I don't think it has been broadcast in years.
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The League of Gentlemen (1960-Basil Dearden): a fine caper flick with a lot to say about post-empire Britain. With Jack Hawkins, Nigel Patrick, Roger Livesey, Richard Attenborough and Bryan Forbes. You will really want them to get away with this one.
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Swiss Family Robinson (1940)

Post by moira finnie »

The rarely seen, but critically praised 1940 version of Swiss Family Robinson, which blended the Wyss book with then current European problems at the beginning of WWII, had a great cast, including Thomas Mitchell, Edna Best, Terry Kilburn, Tim Holt, Freddie Bartholomew and Bobby Quillan as the children. It can be seen beginning below. It's quite different than the highly entertaining Disney version of 1960:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I've started on this, thanks for this wonderful link. I do not search YOUTUBE because I don't enjoy such small videos over prolonged time-periods (who said the younger generation has the SHORT attention span? HA! Ya gotta put my movies on my wall before I'll constantly pay attention to them).

That said, "when we have no choice", then YouTube offers me the great chance to see a film I've been searching for. I've done the P2P networks for several years but stopped those because the video-quality and D/L speeds were too varying. The HULUs have made me reconsider my anti-Video-Quality arguments because those aren't too bad on 'full screen' computers, but they're fairly horrible fed into a TV screen or splashed against our wall.

But those services still ignore the fact that millions and millions of prospective viewers are purposely limited by ISPs and the government-mandated monopolies that are handed to them all for the price of bribes and other campaign contributions.