PBS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

PBS

Post by movieman1957 »

I thought we could have a place to comment on PBS shows as they might be of interest to people. While not movies they are often intereting enough to share thoughts on. So if it is a concert by the NY Philharmonic. a new "Nature" episode, the latest WWII documentary or if you want ot complain about one too many pledge breaks this spot is for you.

I caught the latest "American Masters" chapter featuring Garrison Keiller. He is a most interesting fellow. I have on occasion listened to his Prairie Home Companion show and always found it fascinating that in this day and time there is room for an old fashioned radio broadcast.

The man is a wonderful writer and narrator and has an interesting perspective on life. He can be a very eloquent storyteller. The film also does a nice job of showing what fine people occupy this country. What the "ordinary" folks that make up such a huge part of this land are basically nice people.

If you have any interest in him or old radio look for it. As with most PBS stations they often rerun things.

BTW, if something is coming up you want to alert others about this is as good a place as any. (I left that part out.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Re: PBS

Post by jdb1 »

Very interesting, Chris, and I did watch the first few minutes of the show. However, my reaction to Keillor is the exact opposite -- I think he is the kind of arrogant, self-important, supercilious gasbag that many people think of with dislike when they think of Public Radio. I can't abide him, and I hate his overly arch and "precious" radio program, too. (And don't even get me started on his looks --- ugh)

To each his own, I guess.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: Very interesting, Chris, and I did watch the first few minutes of the show. However, my reaction to Keillor is the exact opposite -- I think he is the kind of arrogant, self-important, supercilious gasbag that many people think of with dislike when they think of Public Radio. I can't abide him, and I hate his overly arch and "precious" radio program, too. (And don't even get me started on his looks --- ugh)
I hear ya, Jude, but at least you don't have him for a neighbor!
Unfortunately, I live exactly 2.8 miles from Ken Burns' personal home, which also doubles as headquarters for his hoop-de-doo Florentine Studio.
When the wind blows from the south, the wafting smell of avante-garde pretension overwhelms even the pungency of the dairy farms, and settles like a miasma o'er the tranquility of the Mt. Kilburn Valley.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

At least we agree (and also with him) that he is not a handsome man.

And I thought all the gas bags were on Lehrer's news show.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like "As Time Goes By". :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

April:

"As Time Goes By" is one of my favorites. Today our station was showing what must have been the first one. Lionel takes Judith on a date* but spends the evening focused on Jean because he remembers her.

*that is a story in itself.
Chris

klondike

Post by klondike »

There are SO many delights to choose from on PBS . .
The ones that springs to mind for me at the moment are those engrossing Cadfael mysteries! Derek Jacobi has a great many laurels to his credit, but I think his role as the crime-solving herbalist is my special favorite. :mrgreen:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:April:

"As Time Goes By" is one of my favorites. Today our station was showing what must have been the first one. Lionel takes Judith on a date* but spends the evening focused on Jean because he remembers her.

*that is a story in itself.

Yes, Chris, they're so great together aren't they? I've seen most of the episodes by now, but I still have
to watch whenever I find it on.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

klondike wrote:[ I live exactly 2.8 miles from Ken Burns' personal home, which also doubles as headquarters for his hoop-de-doo Florentine Studio.
When the wind blows from the south, the wafting smell of avante-garde pretension overwhelms even the pungency of the dairy farms, and settles like a miasma o'er the tranquility of the Mt. Kilburn Valley.
I have sympathy for you. Is there anything I could mail up to ease your pain? Some gangsta rap CDs to play loudly over your car stereo, or perhaps some decent history books to chuck over his back fence?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

April, As Time Goes By is one of the very few things Judith and I disagree on...I absolutely love it, and she flat out dislikes it. BUT....we both love Foyle's War and Michael Kitchen, so go figure. ATGB was voted one of the most popular of the Brit Coms on our local (Kansas City) PBS station, so was guaranteed at least one more season of showings. The wonderful Moira Brooker, "Judith" and lovely Jenny Funnell "Sandy" were on the last pledge break, and were both funny and charming.
I am constantly amazed at the range and depth of Dame Judi Dench. She is one of the Treasures of modern cinema.

OK, off soapbox, sit down, shut up and learn something...........
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

I have recently started watching "Foyle's War." I like the idea of the WWII setting and how that complicates his job. He is a fine actor with a nice voice to listen to.

I'm also going through the "Midsomer Murder" series. While I like Nettles the early stories aren't that great.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris:
Did you purchase the DVD set of Foyle's War? There were so few episodes, and each ending one would leave me waiting for the next season. Sure wish they could round up all the actors and have another go at it. The view of the everyday lives of people living thru an hellacious time is amazing.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No. I've been getting them from Netflix. I have only seen two but like them so far.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I enjoyed the Garrison Keillor American Masters program, Chris. I was very moved when his audience sang The Star Spangled Banner. I loved seeing the sound effects and the stage manager explain their jobs and how the show evolved. I don't listen to the program for anyone's looks, just for a few quiet chuckles.

Did anyone see the most recent broadcast of Foyle's War? I missed two of them, but I see that they are online at pbs.org.

There is a new Miss Marple on local PBS stations this month! I can imagine how tough people are going to be on her when comparing her to Joan Hickson.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a rebroadcast of the Keillor program. Back in my public radio days we did a few live broadcasts and they were a lot of fun, especially figuring out the sound effects. Writing the scripts, too, was interesting, because you need to tell the listener what they are hearing (while also trying not to always rely on a narrator). "Hey Sally, let's talk a walk through the snow.", let's the listener know it's winter (and slowly and rhythmically squeezing a box of corn starch sounds pretty convincing as footsteps in the snow! )

Keillor would be the first to admit he has a face for radio. But he also has quite a voice for radio, too.

Not sure what's wrong with Ken Burns, but every few years or so I break out his Baseball documentary and still love it. The interviews with Buck O'Neil are priceless.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS