PBS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: PBS

Post by movieman1957 »

I know Australians are a little more "out there" so I'll be on the lookout.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Everything is handled quite tastefully, no need to cover your eyes...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Darn.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Big mistake!!! It's Kerry Greenwood, not Underwood!! ( I also edited my original post.)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I just read two Poirot books. ELEPHANTS CAN REMEMBER and FIVE LITTLE PIGS. Sometimes I like to get back to the basics!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ken Burns's "The Roosevelts, An Intimate Portrait" began last night and dealt largely with Theodore's childhood, young life and, by the end of the part, his rise to the presidency.

What a complex and interesting man. The things he overcame and took on through his early life are quite astonishing. The most surprising thing I learned, and frankly would have been one of the easiest to discover, was his wife and mother died on the same day. The context and aftermath of a most tragic day as presented by Burns and company packs quite the emotional impact. This was not to be the only tragedies in his life.

Powerful, driven, funny, daring and conceited, among other traits, all make Theodore a fascinating subject and especially when presented in this fashion.

This whole project is scheduled for 14 hours.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am recording The Roosevelts since real life prevents me from watching consistently this week. I am so fascinated by all three figures, and especially how they affected each other's innovative approach to life. Can't wait. May have to binge watch when I can.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I wish we could Tivo real life!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

.The Roosevelts is quite riveting. I hope some of you saw the preview programs PBS aired 2 weeks ago as an introduction to what was coming in the Burns movie. It helped a bit to have a little early knowledge.

Kingrat, did you see the special documentary of "Becoming Poirot" which showed how David Suchet studied Ms. Christie's books to try to capture her ideas and thoughts on Poirot, and also how he goes through the makeup each day for filming, and practicing that mincing walk.

Phryne Fisher
took me about three episodes to come to like her. She was just a little too over the top for me, but I'm warming up to her.

I kind of like Mr. and Mrs. Murder as well. I've always liked Death in Paradise, but this new lead guy makes me really like it a lot. The other fellow was so cold, it was hard to warm up to him, but this new fellow . . . the minute he walked out into the ocean with his clothes on made me a fan.

However nothing can top all the great detectives on PBS, like Foley, Banks, and Morse.

I like Breathless but it barely holds a candle to Call the Midwife. I miss that one a lot.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, I finished watching the Roosevelts and was impressed with the detail taken to be correct except for the minor references to Daisy Suckley, fifth cousin to FDR. If anyone saw Hyde Park on Hudson, you know there was a lot more to their relationship than was inferred in the Burns movie. Apparently FDR liked his ladies but rather than choosing strangers, he picked from his very large family of cousins but the movie I mentioned was strictly about Daisy and FDRs intimate relationship. I don't know if Mr. Burns was trying not to tarnish FDRs shining memory or what but now it is well known that the man had many clos lady friends. I wonder if anyone else noticed in the photos of FDR and his mother together, how he actually had her face. With a wig on him, they could have passed as twins. I found myself feeling sad for Eleanor because besides being quite unattractive, she had to fight an uphill battle most of her life in trying to make FDR a husband instead of his mothers' son.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I loved the Roosevelt's ... it's one of the better programming on PBS these days ...
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Ken Burns has never disappointed. This was true right from his "Civil War" masterpiece.

I missed Prohibition (by a couple of years), and his documentary explained a lot I had always been puzzled about.

I believe the Japanese have a way to honor master craftsmen. We should have a similar method to acknowledge his contribution to desperately-needed continuing education for Americans in their own history.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lucky Vassall wrote:Ken Burns has never disappointed. This was true right from his "Civil War" masterpiece.

I missed Prohibition (by a couple of years), and his documentary explained a lot I had always been puzzled about.

I believe the Japanese have a way to honor master craftsmen. We should have a similar method to acknowledge his contribution to desperately-needed continuing education for Americans in their own history.
The idea of selecting individuals as "Living National Treasures" as the Japanese do might be comparable to the Kennedy Center Honorees, I suppose. Ken Burns (and his less visible partner, Geoffrey Ward, who contributed greatly to The Roosevelts on-camera and off) ought to be among them. Hope to live to see that happen!

Lucky--have you seen Burns' The Dust Bowl (2012)? We discussed it here: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... t=dustbowl
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks