YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
knitwit45

YOU Tube'n

Post by knitwit45 »

hey, guys, if you are like me, you get a lot of fun emails or video clips that you'd love to share with the people here. What do you think about a thread, similar to "sailor walks into a bar", but more for you tube stuff? I was sent the greatest video of Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell, and would love to post it here.

Here’s a helpful hint from Moira:

Since it seems that not everyone is aware of the youtube feature when posting here, I might suggest that perhaps you could include a quick note with your thread indicating that when creating a post with a youtube link in it, members can make that video playable here by highlighting the link and clicking on the bar tab marked youtube on the far right just above the posting screen. Then, when they are done writing their post they just click on Submit as they would with a normal post.
knitwit45

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by knitwit45 »

here's one of the most incredible dance sequences I have ever seen. Eleanor Powell, who normally is not a favorite, is absolutely amazing.

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Happy 4th!!!

[youtube]
[youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

From my most favorite musical [and what better day for it?]

[youtube][
klondike

Post by klondike »

And if they stopped back for a visit today, I'm sure them Founding Fathers would appreciate a big ol' slice of Red, White & Blue propoganda, like this one below {another favorite o' mine}:

[youtube][/youtube

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I can't get the videos to appear here -- I just get code. Any suggestions?
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:I can't get the videos to appear here -- I just get code. Any suggestions?
Not that it necessarily sheds light anywhere, Fair Judith - but can you still watch vids over @ the Record Party? :roll:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Here's a video made by our own Fair Jack Favell (aka "Mrs. Johnson)

[youtube][/youtube
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh gosh! You are so nice to post this here, Nan. :oops: :D :oops: :D

What a great thread!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'm going to try and post Moira's slideshow for Dewey's Noir Film Fest. Hope it works, this is amazing.
Moira's Slide Show Celebrating Dewey's Film Noir Fest

phooey, only a link, but please check it out, it's worth the time!!!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:
jdb1 wrote:I can't get the videos to appear here -- I just get code. Any suggestions?
Not that it necessarily sheds light anywhere, Fair Judith - but can you still watch vids over @ the Record Party? :roll:
Is there something in particular at The Party you're trying to point me toward?

I'm not having any trouble accessing what's already been posted, but I can't get my own selections to show up. This is only recent, so i'm wondering if I've got an outdated application on my computer somewhere that YouTube can't work with.

If anyone does have a suggestion about what might be wrong, please tell it to me in English, not in IT-speak. Thanks.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:
klondike wrote:
Nope, just a frame of reference to help eliminate possibilities.
Wish I could be more help! :|
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote:
klondike wrote:

I'm not having any trouble accessing what's already been posted, but I can't get my own selections to show up. This is only recent, so i'm wondering if I've got an outdated application on my computer somewhere that YouTube can't work with.

If anyone does have a suggestion about what might be wrong, please tell it to me in English, not in IT-speak. Thanks.
Hi Judith,
I don't know if you use a Mac or a PC, or what type of browser you are using (IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc.), but you might want to check to see if you need an updated version of your browser, or an Adobe Flash Player update or see if there is a firewall security feature on your computer that is preventing the display. If you are watching from work, your IT dept. may have added some blockages on the network to prevent employees from accessing non-work related videos from various sites. Also, if you have a computer without much unused memory, you can do some of these things that might help, including adding new memory (Not an endorsement of either, but I usually head to Cnet online or BestBuy in person for info about what is involved and then figure it all out from there). Some other paths to explore that have helped me in the past when faced with similar issues:
1.) uninstall unused software
2.) clear your history/cache,
3.) defragment your C drive (takes a long time, generally)

Best of luck,
Moira

Hi Nancy,
That youtube feature that Jon so kindly added to our site only works on the SSO for videos from youtube. Otherwise you have to make a link to link to other videos posted elsewhere.

Since MikeBSG mentioned watching the brilliant Max Linder in his post found here in the Silents and Pre-Code section of the SSO, I thought that others might enjoy seeing the great silent comic actor in the original mirror scene that was the inspiration for the much better known one in Duck Soup (1933). This one is from Seven year's Bad luck (1921):

[youtube][/youtube
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Brilliant! Sure makes the one in Duck Soup pale in comparison, doesn't it?