Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
klondike

Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Post by klondike »

Hey, Friends & Neighbors, you've all read me blatherin' on about this one Big Time, and the general consensus has been: Hmmmmm . . :roll: :roll: :roll:
But I was watchin' this week's episode last night, and I couldn't help but think: Land o' Goshen, this shiz-nit's just as ding-dang terrfific as "Carnivale", or "The Sopranos", or "Dexter", or "Fringe" or "Mad Men", and better even than most of "Lost", or "The Riches", or "Deadwood", even (with which it shares its headliner) . . my cohorts over to SSO really ought to be looking at this!
And remembering those lonely, wistful thoughts this morning, it occurred to me that maybe what I should be doing is showing you what some of the fun looks like . .
Here goes:

[youtube][/youtube]

See, it's kinda like a poker game between Raymond Chandler, Sergio Leone & Tennessee Williams . .

[youtube][/youtube]

And sometimes it gets really dark & quirky, like John Steinbeck high on cough syrup . .

[youtube][/youtube]

And always lurking in the background are lonely figures at rusty train depots, & crime & coal & tent-revival morality all twisted-up with luxury SUV's & prison-tat's & duelin' banjoes & meth-lab enforcers & bootleggers with iPods . .
And you can change sides all you want, but no-one gets to hang for long in the middle . .

[youtube][/youtube]

The final question, every time? Can you swear what you're doin' is justified ?!!

[youtube][/youtube]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

You aren't alone! I LOVE this show! Terrific writing, terrific acting, great characters, I LOVE this show!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

So, where and when is it on? Justified I mean.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

It's on Wednesday nights on FX usually at 10:00 pm.

It's mid-way through it's second season but you can probably find last season episodes either ON Demand or via Netflix.

It's worth getting caught up.

It's GREAT!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

Oh man, oh man! Last night' episode kicked butt!

They should just give the Emmy to Margo Martindale NOW!

She blew the doors off last night.

That final scene with Raylen first all but begging him and then getting all cold and calculating.

No one who is close to Raylen is safe right now.

I can't wait till next week!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

klondike

Post by klondike »

I know zackly what you're talkin' 'bout, Lynn!
When Doyle pulled up in his sheriff's 4x4, and Mags slid out with her beann sidhe face on, I turned to my Bride, and whispered: "Ooo - watch this, now . . . !" , 'cause I just had me that feelin' . . :shock:
And sure enough, ol' Mags' bag o' tricks was wide open inside that supremely talented mind (and I speak here of character & actress), the only sea-change evident to the watcher being that she no longer cared who spotted one mask giving way to the next.
Mags Bennett is one cold-cast mountain medusa, and no mistake!
And as for Margo Martindale, well, I've had a weather-eye on that sly matron since she bobbed into view as the butter-wouldn't-melt, pill-popping next-door neighbor on "The Riches" . . and her mark she will make, I do predict!
And for next week?
Will the State Police stand pat behind Raylan, or will he have to call other marshals in to face-off Doyle's corrupt little brigade of deputies?
Is Mags really neurotically obsessed with young Loretta, or does she just want the 411 on what went on up at the Old Shaft? Does she blame Loretta as much as she blames Raylan? Would she stoop to despatching Dickie on a payback strike on Arlo & Helen?
How fast is Boyd going to try moving in on the Bennett Clan "businesses"? Besides Eva's pump-gun, who's got his back?
And in the middle of this hillbilly dungstorm, what all will clueless Winona stumble into at the worst possible moment? And just how much has Art deduced about her little doe-si-doe with all that dough from the property room?
And perhaps the creepiest question of all - just how much did poor Loretta suffer at the hands of the cyclopean Coober before her rescue arrived? :(
However it all wraps, I'm sure the resolutions will be more than justified!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

Like you, my first thoughts after seeing Mags go all cold on Raylen were Arlo and Helen. I think Arlo may be too tough for Mags to kill but Helen, I'm very worried for her.

Only three episodes left this season!

AAAGGHHHHH!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Holy Crap, Klon!

I would not want to be Dickie once both Raylen and Mags figure out he is responsible for Helen.

He and his crew have to die an ignoble death! Can't happen soon enough.

We have, what, two eppys left?

I would not want Raylen looking for me and I sure as heck would not Mags looking for me because I betrayed her, especially if she was my ma.

Dickie is a dead man.

But the fun will be in watching him come to his end.

At the hand of Raylen, Boyd or Mags.

My money is on Mags.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lynn, were we shootin' trap, I'd say you were 5 pair for 5 pulled!
My only extra observations are -

a) I worry than Raylan's little tight-rope act might have cost him purt-near his last coin o' friendship with Tim Gutterson, who was shown in this last ep to be - rather than just a cutting-edge, ride-along sniper - a canny, well-rounded Marshal in his own right . . and one that draws his "lines" narrower & deeper than Raylan, or Rachel, or even Art Mullen.
b) I can feel that the tension between Raylan & Doyle has simmered just about to the boil-over point, and that our favorite rattlesnake-of-a-sheriff is very shortly going to find just the right moment to shove US Marshal Givens into a complete corner . . and the way things are shaping up, Raylan will likely be without back-up of any kind when it's time to go "OK Corral".
c) Where's that ding#dang state autopsy report on luckless ol' Walt McCready?! Five weeks' decomp notwithstanding, quick lime be dam*ed, they already know he didn't perish from his leg-wound; there should still be enough trace toxicity in the liver from that skull & crossbones 'shine that he ingested to justify an arrest warrant on Mags Bennett!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

I figure ol' Arlo isn't going to be too pleased with Dickey either.

That boy sure didn't think that one through very well.

Raylen, Mags, Arlo and, likely, Boyd are all going to be wanting his head.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

klondike

Post by klondike »

In the words of my peppery old Uncle Hollis, you couldn't be more right were you dressed for Easter at a Sunday Social.
And here we used to think that actor cut a sad & sorry figure as Daniel Farraday on "Lost"; as Dickie Bennett, he'll be lucky to escape crucifixion on a Black Pike coal derrick.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

I love Jeremy Davies! I think Daniel Farraday may be the most normal character he has played. As much as I dislike Dickie Bennett, I do like the way Davies is playing him.

I hope Raylen hasn't burned all his bridges with Gutterson. He's going to need someone watching his back in the remaining two eppys and I don't think Boyd will this time around. I also hope that Ray and his boss (the always wonderful Nick Searcy) kiss and make up before season's end but I doubt that's in the cards as well.

Ray sure ain't going to be happy to discover that it was partly Arlo's fault that got Helen killed. Throwing in with Boyd and getting recognized are never good moves in the world of Justified.

And Raylen always seemed to like his Aunt Helen a heck of a lot more than his own daddy.

I suspect Arlo may get more than a taste of Raylen's vengeance.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lzcutter wrote: the always wonderful Nick Searcy . .
I began appreciating Searcy [albeit w/ more hair] from his days back in the early 90's on the too-short-lived series "American Gothic" {"They's someone at the door" -"}, as evil Gary Cole's flawed-&-morally-floundering deputy . .
There is just something about what he brings to his roles as modern-day Southern lawmen . . it really breathes new life into an often hackneyed stereotype . .
As for Arlo . . whoever blames who, whoever avenges who, I fear that the high majority of Raylan's remaining sympathy for his father might just have 'gone to grave' with dear old Helen . . and lives no more . . :?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

"everything I say holds"

Klon,

I'm rewatching last week's eppy of our favorite show and am as always just blown away by Margo Martindale. In that one scene at her store with Ray, she says so much by saying so little. Especially after Doyle's whole stupidity on the ways he could kill Raylan.

Did you know that the character of head of the Bennett clan was supposed to a patriarch? Then Margo came in to read for the role and everyone went, whoa! we need to rethink this character!

Give this woman an Emmy! She so deserves it!

I'll be back with more after Treme and Game of Thrones!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

Just in time for the finale tomorrow night, I just watched the penultimate episode from last week.

Oh man, you could feel Raylen's grief.

And the way he handled Mags, Dickey and Doyle, check.

But, the way they doubled back on him, checkmate.

I can't wait for tomorrow night and see how it all plays out.

Any way you slice it, I'd hate to be Dickie.

Between Arlo and Raylen, he can't last the whole episode.

And I will hate to see the season come to end because I hate for the reign of Mags Bennett and her role in this story to come to an end.

She's been great!

I'm caught up! TCM Film Festival recaps start tomorrow!
Lynn in Lake Balboa