Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Post by Lzcutter »

Holy crap, Klon,

Is Dickie really that stupid? Did he shoot Ava on his own or with his momma's okay? I can't believe that Mags would give the okay for Dickie to kill Ava.

Either way, ain't no way this side of Hades that Boyd is going to let him live.

Add to that, Arlo and Raylen want him dead as well.

Well, any way you slice it, Dickie Bennett is a dead man walking.

How did he survive the finale? Does this mean that Dickie gets to go to prison or does this mean, hoping, hoping, hoping, that he will get his comeuppance in the season 3 premiere?

And where was the scene between Raylen and Boyd we saw in the preview?

Ah, Mags, for a moment we all thought it was Raylen but wait, he's the hero. A taste of her own medicine. With Doyle dead, she had no other out. It's not like she wanted to grow old mentoring Dickie.

Poor Dickie, no matter what he did, he couldn't earn his momma's love.

Gotta hurt.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lzcutter wrote: Holy crap, Klon,
I hear ya! FX best renew all the principle cast's contracts in a big fat hurry, and pass out a few salary bonuses, - 'cause this show is white hot now, and Showtime & HBO & Starz must be lickin' their chops and lurkin'!
Lzcutter wrote: Is Dickie really that stupid? Did he shoot Ava on his own or with his momma's okay?
Well, yes & no, from my seat on the back porch; Dickie strikes me as being just too permanently impressed with his own cleverness - and also, frankly, a "kitchen creeper" by nature . . likely also sneakin' about as a kid, after hours, eavesdropping, spying, lookin' to rifle for sweets or cash or leftover hooch . . almost a form of arrested development, if you think about it . . no, I'd bet hard cash Mags had no idea what Dickie was up to, which was why the whole summit meeting w/ Boyd & Arlo went sour on her so fast. Gotta love the parson as a backwoods concigliere though, don't ya?
Lzcutter wrote: And where was the scene between Raylen and Boyd we saw in the preview?
I think it was just an edited-out camera angle of Doyle puttin' the drop on Raylan, just before he got sniped . . but I gotta say, I hate when they do that on previews . . it's just plain old dishonest bait-&-switch!
Lzcutter wrote: Ah, Mags, for a moment we all thought it was Raylen but wait, he's the hero. A taste of her own medicine. With Doyle dead, she had no other out. It's not like she wanted to grow old mentoring Dickie.
Dead on right, Neighbor; which is why I watched the very end of that scene play-out, and said aloud, with my cheeks hot, "Go ahead, Raylan, just try & hate her - I dare ya!" . . 'cause we all know he can't, 'cause her history is his, in a way that subtly by-passes Arlo & Frances & Helen completely, 'cause the Ancestors brought this grand & grisly old game from the Scots Highlands to the Appalachian hollers just about pure & intact, didn't they?
And it ain't about hatin' . . . it's about fighting the mirror image you see in your mortal enemies' eyes.
Lzcutter wrote: Poor Dickie, no matter what he did, he couldn't earn his momma's love.
Gotta hurt.
I do bet!
Myself, I wouldn't mind seein' Season 3 start with Dickie engineering a big old prison break, with a whole new mob of Kentucky recidivist skinheads, and oh, just for fun, kidnapping smart-mouth, self-obsessed Winona, before going on a big old cross-country crime spree . . give Raylan & Boyd something to do together, so maybe they could stop pulling guns on each other . . . !
And hey, anybody keepin' track of the slippery Mr. Duffy (Jere Burns)? :roll:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Well, Dickie Bennett has yet to get his comeuppance (though not for tryin' on Boyd's part), but after this week's episode, I'm kind of glad the crazy "imbecile" (Raylan's description, not mine) is still standing. He and his best buddy, Dewey, were just hysterical this week, especially Dewey. The guard that helped them escape the prison getting hit twice by Raylan's car, oh my god, I thought I would die laughing. Timothy Olyphant has found his role of a lifetime and anytime you think Raylan's out of tricks to not use his gun, he surprises you.

We have two big bads this season, one is Quarles, (Neal McDonough) who hails from Detroit, and is in Harlan to teach the Dixie Mafia how things are done.

The other big bad is Ellstin Limehouse (Mykelti Williamson) who runs the holler up the road that white women escaping their abusive spouses run to (including Raylen's own mother years back- the story Raylen told about how his daddy (Arlo) went up to that holler with the intention of bringing his wife back, instead a young 10 year-old Raylen watched as Limehouse beat the living crap out of Arlo, was pitch perfect), may not have the majesty of Margo Martindale's Mags but we aren't even half way through the season so there's still time. (Though I doubt anyone can come close to Martindale, she's an awesome actress who had great chemistry with Olyphant (no, not that kind).

Right now, Boyd is moving his players around the chess board and for the moment, Dickie (the wonderful Jeremy Davies who is playing the part as squirrely as he can without going over the top) and Dewey (Damian Herriman) have all eyes on them.

And Quarles is on Raylan's radar.

So, right now, Justified is my favorite show with Person of Interest running a veryclose second.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lynn, during an insomnia attack last night I remember how much you liked "Justified." So, with it free on Amazon I thought why not? With the first three episodes in the book I must say I like it too. I've liked Olyphant since "Deadwood." Here I can see him smile.

The stories and the characters are interesting. My favorite though is Raylen's (Tim's) Kentucky boss. I hope he sticks around. Having family from east Tennessee I can see the attitudes of some of those people though my family has never been on the dark side of the law.

Help me out. Olyphant has a most unusual walk. I thought it almost like John Wayne but it's a more casual walk but just as pigeon-toed.

I'll be watching more.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

Glad to hear that you are getting into Justified! It's a terrific show that just wrapped up it's 4th season. Season 2 with the incredible Margo Martindale as Mags Bennett is still, by far, the best big bad Raylen goes up against it.

I love this show mainly for the characters, Raylen, Boyd (Walter Googins is so good as Boyd), Ava, Arlo, Art, Win Duffy and Raylen's two co-workers, Tim and Rachel. Tim has some great moments in season 4! And Nick Searcy as Raylen's boss Art Mullen is a joy every time on he's on screen!

I also love the writing and the sense of place the show creates.

With only 12 episodes a season, you'll be caught up in no time!

Keep me posted on your progress!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Marshall Givens is the hero of several Elmore Leonard books, some of them dating back to the 1990s. The latest is called simply, RAYLAN.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Leonard is the executive producer on the early ones. I would assume the later ones as well. There must be some extra care going on.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A few years ago, I watched KAREN CISCO a couple of times, due to the Leonard derivation. Not bad.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

Elmore Leonard is still part of the series. He is an executive producer and writes episodes as well!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm almost through the first season and I give the show high marks. Not every episode has been a total winner but more often than not they are. The two I watched yesterday were especially good. ("Blind Spot" and "Blowback.")

I have come to at least two conclusions. One is that I'll keep going and the other is that if I see a familiar face chances are, after a few times of this, I know them from "Deadwood."

I still really like Raylen's boss. He needs more air time. Guessing whether he is going to strangle Raylen or hug him is half the fun. I've about made up my mind as well that I am never moving to Harlan. KY. :)
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:A few years ago, I watched KAREN CISCO a couple of times, due to the Leonard derivation. Not bad.
I watched that too ... RedRiver and I was mad when they abruptly cancelled it ...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Didn't Robert Forster play Karen's father? He's always fun to watch.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:Didn't Robert Forster play Karen's father? He's always fun to watch.
Yes, he did!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have completed the first two seasons of "Justified." Terrific show. A lot of these people should be in jail but they aren't - yet. And they have proven there is a good story to be had there too.

I'm three episodes into the third season and this one isn't quite as compelling yet. There's still some good things but not quite up to the first two seasons.

I find I like watching two at a time. (They're free with Amazon Prime.)
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

So glad you are liking Justified! Season 3 takes a bit getting started and lives in the shadow of Season 2. But hang in there, as some new characters get introduced and Season 4 makes up for many of the shortcomings of Season 3 and continues the personal story of Raylen that is probably the best part of Season 3.
Lynn in Lake Balboa