The Royals!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Vecchiolarry

Re: The Royals!

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Today is Nicholas II's birthday... May 18, 1868.
Tragically as we all know, he was murdered 50 years later - July 18, 1918.

Larry
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This is rather unflattering to the late Princess Diana, so if you were a big fan of hers, stop reading now.

Last night on the Bill Maher weekly political news round table talk show, he mentioned Prince Harry. He then showed a photo of Prince Charles followed by a photo of Prince William and how very much they look alike. After that, he showed a photo of Prince Harry, who he agreed was a very nice and likable fellow, but then he showed a photo of the guy Diana was supposedly involved with romantically before Harry was born. These photos are all close up head shots, and if you saw them, you would have to admit the similarity of looks between Harry and this guy, is just as close as the similarity of William and Charles. I am probably years late in this info, but I'm more tuned to American politics than Englands, but this did strike me. As Maher said, this would pretty much prove that Harry has no royal blood in him at all.

Believe me, I am no more cheered by this than I would be if the news media tried to make up stories about the Obama girls, especially as they are still children technically. But Harry is now a grown man, and I'm curious if anyone in the British Commonwealth has brought this to any kind of attention. Again, don't get me wrong, I think Harry is adorable and I love the pranks he pulls and the little messes he has gotten into with his parties and costumes. I like him a lot more than William who seems kind of a stick to me. I was just so shocked by this revelation, I wanted to ask someone's opinion about it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This rumor about Prince Harry has been around for a very long time. True or not, Harry is unlikely to have to prove who his father may be and he is unlikely to become king (and he would hardly be the first member of a royal family to have people speculate on his paternity). Clearly Will regards Harry as his brother without questioning their shared filial relationship. From what I can see in their public appearances, Prince Charles genuinely appears to love both his sons, and since Diana's death he has shown his affection in a public way that does not look forced but genuine.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Harry is very much like the Spencers, the colouring is from Diana's side of the family and the guy who Diana had an affair with (after Harry's birth) has been proven to have not been able to have fathered Harry, I think he was away on duty at the time. It's really shoddy journalism, it's like the old chestnut about Obama not being American, if the research was done they'd debunk their own theories. it seems awfully disrespectful since Harry is on a visit to America but then there is an element of journalism that prefers to linger in mud as we see day after day. Anne, none of my diatribe is directed at you, just at shoddy journalism.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks to moirafinnie and charliechaplinfan for updating me. That is really all I wanted. I didn't mean to cause hard feelings or any kind of rivalry. As I said, I like the guy and his or anybody's paternity makes very little to no difference to me. I wish him well in his entire life, whatever he may do.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

mrsl wrote:.
Thanks to moirafinnie and charliechaplinfan for updating me. That is really all I wanted. I didn't mean to cause hard feelings or any kind of rivalry. As I said, I like the guy and his or anybody's paternity makes very little to no difference to me. I wish him well in his entire life, whatever he may do.
I thought that's what you meant too, Anne. I thought that Bill Maher was reaching for a laugh at the expense of Harry, who is not realistically likely to respond publicly. That's kind of surprising to me since I find that Maher's humor, caustic as it often is, usually reflects some thought and has a relevant point about issues that matter.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I am surprised that this false story is still going around today and that Bill Maher resurrected it just for shock value.
I like Bill Maher and think he's intelligent and frankly, a better man than to report this without investigating it beforehand...

What Alison has written is true - Harry was born in 1984, before Diana even met the soldier-horsetrainer (in 1986) whom she later bedded.
If you look at the Spencer clan, especially her brother, Charles, you can see Harry in them quite clearly.
The Prince and Princess of Wales were still cohabitating in 1984 and Harry is Prince Charles' son - no question....

However, as Moira has stated, there are plenty of other royals who are questionably "legitimate/illegitimate'...

I have always said that there are no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents!!
The bastards are the mother & father....

Larry
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

HaHa, Larry!

Yes, I agree, charliehcaplinfan, Moira, and Larry. This wasn't nice during Harry's visit, and Bill Maher should have known better. But this is not the first time he hasn't followed up on a fact or two before he's let loose with his "truthiness," to steal a term from The Colbert Repor(t)...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
tinker

Post by tinker »

As a point of English law, interestingly though scarily, Diana and James Hewitt were committing treason (assuming their relationship did exist), and at that point the death penalty was still in force for treason (the only crime under English law where there was a death penalty since I think 1965). It was changed to life in prison in 1998. It is apparently treasonous to have a relationship with the King or heir's (female) partner. The law also applied to the King's mistress. They really did not want to risk a non-member of the family getting the throne. Princes Caroline, George IV's wife was put on trial for adultary and had she been found guilty would have been sentenced to hanging as would Diana Have been if she had been tried.

Curiously Prince Phillip is not subject (pun intended) to the same law.

Apparently it is still possible for James Hewitt to be prosecuted.

dee
Last edited by tinker on May 19th, 2013, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
charliechaplinfan

It is very lazy journalism and they aren't enemies you'd want to make, especially if you want to interview them yourself one day. Harry likes America, Diana liked America and I can see Harry spending more time over there when times allows. He's obviously a hit with the girls and he has a warm chemistry which will make him the subject of news reports for many years to come. He's fun loving, let's hope he learnt his lesson about when to play strip poker.

As for Diana's lover, what bad taste she had, before he decided to give interviews and court the media it could be believed that he was a dashing hero soldier, he wasn't and did Diana's credibility no good. She made other mistakes with other men who she tried to court and didn't always make the best choices. I felt at William's wedding how she was missing, how I'd have liked her to find a man who wanted to nuture and love her and enable her to do charity work as the mother of the future king and provide support for her sons. What a shame, I believe that once she'd got over the bitterness of her later marriage to Charles she'd have retained a fond place in our hearts.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote: I felt at William's wedding how she was missing, how I'd have liked her to find a man who wanted to nuture and love her and enable her to do charity work as the mother of the future king and provide support for her sons. What a shame, I believe that once she'd got over the bitterness of her later marriage to Charles she'd have retained a fond place in our hearts.
I agree with you CharlieChaplinFan ... It is a shame that Princess Diana died so soon and unable to see Prince William's Wedding with Kate Middleton ... and I often think of that.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

When is Kate's due date?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:When is Kate's due date?

July 13th ...
charliechaplinfan

I'm excited, I can't belive it, it's a piece of good news in an otherwise cold England so far.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

60 years ago today, was the Coronation of Elizabeth II - June 2, 1953....
It was a rainy day and chilly but it did not seem to dampen the spirits of the people.

A highlight was Queen Salote of Tonga, who rode in an open carriage and waved to everyone - a large smile on her face - she was enjoying the rain, it seemed.

Unpolitically correct or politically uncorrect:
When someone asked Noel Coward, "Who is that small man sitting next to Queen Salote?" - he replied, "Her lunch!!".....

Larry