Summer TV shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
rohanaka

Re: Summer TV shows

Post by rohanaka »

I think I cried more at the end of THIS show than I did last week. Very emotional, especially at the end.

As for the mole.. it played out like I was thinking it would, ulitmately. (I kept going back and forth over time.. but over the last week had more or less narrowed it down to the way it played out) Glad it was not someone in the squad out to get her or something. It will be interesting to see how Gabriel ends up leaving now. I thought I had that all figured out too.. and then it did not happen.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Ro,

I agree, it was an intense hour. The confrontation between Gabriel and his girlfriend, damn that was good. I felt so bad for Gabriel because he knew at that moment that not only was his personal life blowing up but his professional life as well.

Major props to Provenza for being the only one who was willing to forgive Gabriel and still talk to him.

And I was very glad to see Brenda finally tell him that she was sorry for not listening to him. I think Brenda Leigh is starting to realize that taking the time to listen to what others have to say is as important as closing cases.

I was glad to see Pope had the courtesy to try and clear the air with Brenda Leigh instead of it being one of those awkward tv things where a situation could be made better if only people would talk.

I am worried that Gabriel may not make it to the end of the finale. I hope I am wrong. I prefer the idea that when Brenda leaves, it's for a new job that includes taking Gabriel with her as part of her new team. I could see her and Fritz returning to Washington. It's an easier commute to Atlanta than from LA.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm glad too that Gabriel wasn't the leak for his own advancement but because he was taken in by his girlfriend. I hope the tensions ease up by the beginning of the new show. Good for old Provenza in standing up and making the way clear for everybody to accept Gabriel. Lt. Flynn is such a hard a**, telling Gabriel to transfer, but maybe it will make for some sparks in the detectives room. There is something about Commdr. Taylor that I will never warm up to. I really thought he was the leak for reasons to benefit himself. I don't know why but I never trusted him. Maybe I'll like him better in his attitude to Capt. Raydor.

Ro: I was slow to get the Howard Johnsons reference myself, even after you called attention to it.

Lz: I think Longmire's disappearance was simply a reaction to the death of his wife, unless you caught something I didn't. One of these days I'll go get my ears checked. My neighbors probably already think I'm deaf from the volume on my T.V.

Well, seven more days to wait.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Ms Cutter... I have been tossing around that same idea about Gabriel (perhaps dying) too.. I can see a couple of scenarios where it might go that way, in fact. It WOULD restore his honor (if he were to die in the line of duty.. maybe protecting someone) but I don't know if they would put us all through that much emotion in one episode.. him dying and Brenda leaving... it would almost be so devastating we would not be able to watch the new show immediately following.. ha. We'd all be too much beside ourselves to do anything but sob into our kleenex. ha.

But it is still worrying me too.. hope we both are wrong.

Mrsl.. Taylor IS hard to warm up to, isnt' he. He has had his moments.. some of them were wonderful (like the 'Cherry" episode.. where that awful boy had a list of girls he'd raped.. and then bragged about) The way Taylor worked with Brenda on that.. and more or less turned his case all over to her (because the coroner and everyone else wanted to take the easy way out.. and he just wanted to stop any more girls from getting hurt) So he has his redeeming qualities now and then. But MOST of the time, not so much. But if he ends up being such a stand up guy afterall (like he seems to be lately) it will seem mean how often they have done their best to poke fun at him in the past (for being so annoying and aggravating) and then we all end up LIKING him after all. ha.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Ro,

I, too, hope that however The Closer ends, Gabriel and Brenda go off to form a new crime fighting team. I would hate to see her return to Atlanta to take care of her father. I know she loves Clay very much but I don't want to see her stop being who she is. I think she has learned some valuable lessons the last two weeks and I would rather see her incorporate those lessons into who she is rather than see her abandon who she is. She would not be happy living in Atlanta taking care of Clay. On a personal note, I can understand why she might think seriously about it but I also know that sometimes remaining true to who you are is better for all in the long run.

And was I the only one who got the feeling that since returning from Atlanta, Fritz was living in the house while Brenda was staying in a hotel? At first, I thought they were both staying at the hotel and Fritz was running back and forth between the house and the hotel to get things for Brenda. But on second viewing, I got a different impression during the heart-to-heart that Fritz and Brenda had when Fritzie told her she needed to come home.

On a completely different note, one of the things I like about Walt Longmire is that he's not a totally likeable guy. He has problems relating to others (his wife's death is likely a factor in that. She probably smoothed most of his rough edges but with her gone, there's no one to do that) but at the end of the day, he does his best to do the right thing.

I am curious as to how it plays out Sunday evening.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Hmmm.. Ms C.. you have me wondering. I did not get the same impression about Fritz that you did. I figured he'd been with her at the hotel.. but had been trying to work and pick up their "normal" life.. all but going home, ever since they got back.

They had Joel (the cat) at some sort of kennel.. because Fritz picked him up to bring him home. I think if he (Fritz) had been there.. he'd have gotten the cat sooner. But I'd have to watch it all again to be sure.

Oh.. and my (non-lethal) theory for Gabriel leaving.. he only stayed because Brenda asked him to (for her) And I think when she goes.. he is going to feel the scrutiny more.. especially from Raydor.. since she is the one who investigated the whole thing. I bet he leaves because of that. And I am with you.. I'd rather see Clay move to LA (which I doubt he ever would) than to see her move there (at least permanently) She and Fritz are so great together.. I'd hate to see them seperated that long.. even if it were to take care of her dad.. and not out of some sort of marriage issue.

Oh me, oh my.. so much to try and get a grip on. ha. It is going to be hard to see it all end.. (and begin anew with MC) I am going to be glued to the edge of my seat to see how this all plays out for sure.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm pretty sure Fritz was with Brenda at the hotel, mainly because of his worry about the cat, which I think was actually an attempt to get her home. If he had been home, as Ro said, he wouldn't have that worry.

As for Gabriel, I still haven't seen enough group photos of the team, but I do know that kid from the computer room is pictured with them. This is the problem I had with The West Wing. Although they wrapped evenything up, it was done quickly and I couldn't find any one who wanted to theorize on what the characters would go on to. That may be why I still miss it, I don't feel as if I ever saw an ending to it.

Lz: I think I like Longmire for the reasons you said, but also that character is very similar to Tom Selleck's CBS movie role as Chief Stone. I believe if Longmire is allowed to run for a few seasons, his assistant Vic would like to take over the job of softening him up. Her husband seems to be quite a jerk and I don't think he'll be around for long.
Anne

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Well.. it's finally done.. and it ended well. I am going to miss Brenda Leigh.. but I have to say.. she went out in style. (and a good ending for Gabriel too.. not what I thought it would be.. but a good resolution all the same) I'm going to miss her on Monday nights.. not sure how MC will hold up... but am hoping to give it a fair try.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Bride has four hours of "The Closer" and "Major Crimes" from last night to watch. I guess I won't see much of her this week.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Whew, I was glad to see that Gabriel was still standing by the end of the hour. And I'm glad he went with Brenda to head up her new team. Overall, it wasn't as emotional as the previous two weeks but I do like that Brenda Leigh was starting to get some clarity about her life and starting to realize that working 24/7 is not always the healthiest thing to do.

I try not to judge new shows based on their pilots because pilots don't always come across with the potential of the series. (Some like Mad Men and Breaking Bad grab you from the start but that's not always the case) Major Crimes I'm going to give a couple of weeks to see if they find their footing. I do like Mary McDonnell as an actress but they don't seem to be using her to her full potential.

Hopefully, that will change soon!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

My first impression of Mary McDonnell was as the captive in Dances with Wolves, and I can never get that sight quite out of my mind. She was so seemingly real in Independence Day as the first lady, and all the different roles she has taken on have been quite varied. I've seen the quick clip shot of the new Major Crimes where the guy dares her to shoot him, and boom . . . she does - - and then they show Provenza's facial response - funny! So I expect she will take over very quietly, but firmly and soon have them all acquiesing to her orders. I think she will find, as Brenda did, that the rules have to be bent every now and then. Her quiet voice can command attention more than yelling could.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Okay, I'm ready to eat my former words about Major Crimes. The first couple of shows, I readily admit, I didn't find on par with The Closer and I thought it was going to be a real short trip for me despite the fact that I like all of the actors. I just didn't find them gelling with Mary McDonnell and I thought the addition of the young teen, Rusty, would only drag the show down.

Well, I was wrong!!!

The show the last month has evolved into a cracker-jack show. I love the relationship between Raydor and Rusty and I like how the old Closer gang is gelling with Raydor. Even she and Provenza are getting along!

The show has to be winding down to a season finale but count me as one who will be returning for season 2 next summer.

Sometimes it pays off to give a show a chance.

But I somehow doubt that I'll feel the same about Revolution.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Agreed to lz cutter and kingrat. Major Crimes is coming along quite well. Really weird that Provenza is the first to actually seem to accept Raynor. Her rapport with Rusty is unraveling in a very interesting way - not too close, but warming up every day. That hug was a trip when she didn't know quite what to do, hug back or pull away. One thing that is helping is that the stories are intricate enough to keep you guessing for a while.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Summer is on the horizon and the summer shows have started hitting the airwaves.

Warehouse 13 returned for its final season about four weeks ago.

Longmire returned to A&E last night.

The Killing (if anyone is interested) returns to AMC on Sunday evening, June 2nd, with a two-hour premiere.

Bruce Campbell fans, take notice, Burn Notice returns for its final season on USA on Thursday, June 7th.

Because Sunday nights aren't chocked full of enough goodness, TNT brings back Falling Skies on Sunday, June 9th.

Major Crimes returns to TNT on Monday, June 10th followed by Jon Tenney's (Brenda Leigh's Fritz from The Closer) new show, King and Maxwell.

The doctor is in on Royal Pains on USA beginning on Wednesday, June 12th.

Creepy times in everyone's favorite vampire haven, Bon Temps, begin again when True Blood returns on Sunday, June 16th

Crazy lawyers Franklin and Bash are back in court on Wednesday, June 19th.

Retro Mobsters return to Magic City on Starz! beginning Friday, June 14th. (It's just the second season, so you have time to get caught up!).

Stephen King's book, Under the Dome becomes a summer mini-series on CBS beginning Monday, June 24th (because having all that goodness on Sunday night is just too much, lets do the same on Monday!).

Fashionistas take heart, Rizzoli and Isles returns to TNT on Tuesday, June 25th.

Serial killing Dexter Morgan goes on one final spree on Showtime beginning Sunday, June 30th followed by Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight's new show, Ray Donovan.

Crime on the border looks like FX's great next show, The Bridge beginning Wednesday, July 10th.

The news producers and their reporters return to The Newsroom beginning Sunday, July 14th.

Covert Affairs returns to tease us with will they or won't they on Tuesday, July 16th with the always scheming lawyers of Suits following Auggie and crew.

Poppy Montgomery hopes she is still Unforgettable when the show returns on CBS on Sunday, July 28th.

They are still building the transcontinental railroad when Hell on Wheels returns on Sunday, August 3rd.

And possibly the most anticipated series of them all (at least in the Cutter household) returns for its final 8 episodes when Breaking Bad returns to AMC on Sunday, Aug. 11th.

Who says summer is a dead-zone for television viewing!
Lynn in Lake Balboa