Morse prequel

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Morse prequel

Post by stuart.uk »

After the sequel to Morse, Lewis, now there is to be a one off prequel. It will feature Morse, as played by John Thaw in the original, as a young man starting out on his career in the mid 60s and explaining how he became interested in crossward puzzles and classic cars
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Morse prequel

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't heard any more about this one.

To any fans of the series - (April :) )

What is the appeal of the series for you? The mystery, the cast, the characters? Have you continued on with Inspector Lewis?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It's interesting how the series continues to appeal, I think that's great. I may watch out of curiosity, though I admit the entire appeal of Morse for me is simply John Thaw's presence. I just couldn't get into "Lewis".
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler Alert

Here's a clip from the prequel. John Thaw at the end of the clip even makes a sort of appearence and he has an unusual first name, which is the title of the movie

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Morse is a great character. He's grumpy, fatherly, educated, determined and frequently looking for love. All good qualities. I often worried about the relationship with Lewis. He wasn't always nice to him and would make it understandable if Lewis hated him. There was just enough chemistry there for them to have a good relationship.

The mystery part of it I guess would work no matter which series was doing it. At times I have found them a little confusing.

I really liked the "Inspector Lewis" series. The mystery part is as good as any. I really like the relationship with Lewis and Hathaway. Though Hathaway is a better educated man than Lewis he greatly respects him. I enjoy the budding relationship he has with the medical examiner, Laura. A particularly good show had a murder in a fringe setting come in contact with Laura. Lewis had to question her as part of what he needed to do. He didn't like (and she certainly didn't) but it's the job.

The series has on more than one occasion mentioned Morse and the relationship between the two.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That preview looks interesting Stuart. I do think it a bit odd that they would name it that (if in fact that is the title) when he went to such great lengths to conceal it.

I'll be watching.
Chris

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

John Thaw's as Morse in his formal relationship with Lewis differs completly from his other great cop double act with Dennis Waterman in the Sweeney as Regan and Carter, which was more a buddy relationship. Both Morse and The Sweeney are shown regulary on Itv digital in the UK
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've watched the first season and part of season 2. They are quite good. Just as involved as the other series. If you are looking for Shaun Evans to do an impression of Robert Thaw's Morse you won't find it. There is a great deal of fun getting the references that will point to things that are in the original series. He is not the grumpy guy he was in the "Morse" series but his love of crosswords and opera is in full bloom. Oh, and he is very well educated.

There was a really funny moment in the episode "Trove" and it was delivered by Morse's boss Thursday. After two thugs beat the daylights out of Morse they are confronted by Thursday. Thursday asks them to do something. They would rather not and respond saying "And if we don't." Thursday's stern reply - "Then I'll have to take off my hat." What a great line.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am waiting eagerly for season 3 of Endeavour. I came in the middle of season 2 and got hooked. The episodes for seasons 1 & 2 are on YouTube, believe it or not. I love the period details and young Morse's mentor, Thursday.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That is good news. It is leaving Amazon Prime in a few days and I haven't been through season 2 yet.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The series is as good as always. It is tough to find the earlier episodes unless you are streaming one of the British apps but if you can follow it it is worth it.

Maybe in retirement one could watch all three series in order. Assuming .you live long enough to do it.
Chris

Masha

Post by Masha »

I thank you very, very much for reminding me of this series. I had watched a few random episodes and liked it very much but the local channel did not air them according to any comprehensible schedule.

I found that the first six seasons are available as part of my Amazon Prime Video subscription. I have just now finished watching them. They seem a little grittier and darker than the few episodes which I knew but I enjoyed it very much.

It was a little fun also to have so many "where do I know them from?" experiences with the guest stars. The one that was particularly nice was Ellie Haddington as a senior Intelligence operator as she played the same type of role on Foyle's War.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You are very welcome. That is a game I play on most all of the British police dramas. There is a crowd that seemed to migrate through them all. I also am quite fond of Foyle's War. Would love to have a voice like Michael Kitchen.
Chris

Masha

Post by Masha »

I had a very serious case of "where do I know them from?" when watching a 2004 episode of: Midsomer Murders. A character who was a young jock with the morals of a tomcat and the brains of roadkill looked so very familiar. I later found that the reason it was particularly difficult to place him was that I knew him from an American program: he was series co-star 'Detective Wayne Rigsby' on: The Mentalist. He did indeed look identical and it is plain that he either excels as that type of character or it is typecasting.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya