2012 - 2013 Pet Peeves

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

2012 - 2013 Pet Peeves

Post by mrsl »

My favorite(?) pet peeve is the same one I've had now for twelve years. People who continue saying Two Thousand Twelve instead of Twenty Twelve. I don't understand why people don't believe that twenty followed nineteen. The year Two Thousand was understandable because you couldn't say Twenty Hundred, but as of the following year, Twenty Oh One just seemed the logical continuation.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Re: 2012 - 2013 Pet Peeves

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I go by this way.

Twenty "pause" Twelve for 2012
Twenty "pause" Thirteen for 2013

That's what my family and most of my friends back home express the current year as we speak of. The "pause" is a second or two.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, Anne - I am one of those who says two thousand twelve....
I suppose now you'll have to whip me with a wet noodle!! 40 whacks should do it....

Larry
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I still feel bad that I started a thread called "Pet Peeves" back in 2010 and it wound up being the only thread this site has ever had locked because we got carried away.

I'll find myself saying both but prefer the "twenty...."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Perhaps it a Commonwealth thing but I prefer two thousand, I can irritated by the twenty but the Olympics here were referred to as twenty twelve.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I thought I had seen a "Pet Peeves" thread before but couldn't find it. (Sorry for overstepping movieman). Hopefully this can remain just a funny thing.

Another pet peeve is someone talking on their cell phone, when it is only he/she and you in any situation, e.g. riding in a car, or at lunch to say nothing of how rude that is.

Larry V. I guess it's a result of doing secretarial work for 5 department directors, but I always try to find the quickest, most efficient way to do or say things. For instance, I hate to waste all those words saying " two thousand and twelve " - what will be more fun is when we get to the twenties, whew . . . two thousand, twenty one(?) geeze.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Anne you are probably the correct one, after all when we refer to the Battle of Hastings we say ten sixty six not a thousand and sixty six. I'm sure I'll get used to the twenty instead of the two thousand eventually.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

1066? Lord, that's an old country!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Anne,

Last night at a Christmas dinner, we all got to talking about this very subject. Only two out of 14 guests said two thousand and twelve and the rest voiced twenty twelve.
So, the concensis was/is that I was 'out-of touch' - and - 'to get with it'!!!!!!

And so, I say:
All the best to you and your family for twenty thirteen and beyond!!!

Love Ya!!
Larry
charliechaplinfan

RedRiver wrote:1066? Lord, that's an old country!
It makes for a lot of dates to remember when you're at school. It's great to have the wealth of history and events but when faced with an exam paper dates fly out of my head as fast as Lara chases Molly and vice versa.

Perhaps I should get with it too but I quite like being an age when it's not necessary to know all about what's in. I much prefer it, I might like to have my younger face back but I wouldn't trade how I feel as a person for my younger self. I was never good at keeping up with trend anyway.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

My pet peeves mostly involve TV. Since I am now selegated to daily longime watching the BOOB tube I am disturbed by the commercials. they have jumped in frequency and number to now allow over 10 spots per program break plus on-screen banners during the programs. It is very disconcerting to be blasted by so many commercials constantly.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

And much, much LOUDER, Uncle Stevie.

One of my pet peeves often occurs at the grocery store. I normally shop at a large grocery store that has the milk, beer and eggs directly at the back of the store, so when a shopper enters, he or she can walk straight back to the milk, beer, and eggs. Men can always find the milk. It's always next to the beer.

But in the last two weeks, I have been shopping at this store, and a man is walking down an aisle looking confused and dazed (because he's not heading straight for the beer or the milk) and he is talking on a cell phone. I can hear his wife on the phone shouting directions.

"Go down to the end of the canned vegetable aisle. Take a right, and go up the next aisle. Then you will see the spice aisle. The spices are on the right hand side of the aisle. The maple syrup is on the left hand side of the aisle...." and so on and so forth until she directs her husband to the specific item she wants.

This is the third time I've experienced this scenario with three different men located in three different aisles of the same store in the last two weeks.

So men won't ask for directions...unless it's from the wife who's talking to them on a cell phone!

I wouldn't say this is particularly a pet peeve, but it is funny as (@*##&$* to watch, and more entertaining than any reality show I've ever seen. And it's free. And it's at your local grocery store. Probably happening right now. And you're missing it because you are reading this thread. :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'm the person men ask for help! I am short, and I assume non-threatening looking, must remind them of their mothers....or heavens above, their grandmothers..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Uncle Stevie wrote:My pet peeves mostly involve TV. Since I am now selegated to daily longime watching the BOOB tube I am disturbed by the commercials. they have jumped in frequency and number to now allow over 10 spots per program break plus on-screen banners during the programs. It is very disconcerting to be blasted by so many commercials constantly.
I tend to use the mute every time a commercial comes on but thought that this story from the Dec. 13th, 2012 Los Angeles Times might be of interest to you (and give us all some hope of relief):
CALM Act: Reducing TV commercial volume was a feat

By Meg James
December 13, 2012, 3:13 p.m.
CALM wasn’t easy to achieve.

CALM Act, the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation law, which limits the volume of TV commercials, took effect Thursday. It requires broadcasters to ensure that TV commercials maintain the same volume as the entertainment programming in which they are contained.

The legislative effort was begun more than four years ago by Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Menlo Park), who was blasted by blaring ads on TV during a family holiday gathering.

“This has been a top consumer complaint for decades,” Eshoo said during a news conference Thursday in Washington. “I never dreamed that this would strike the chord that it did with the American public.”

It would seem like an easy enough fix for broadcasters, but turning down the volume turned into a frustrating odyssey for lawmakers and regulators. The solution required a convention of engineers from around the world, rewriting broadcast standards and advances in audio technology. TV stations and cable and satellite TV operators have spent the last two years upgrading their equipment to better detect sound fluctuations.

Normal listening levels are about 70 decibels for a television show, but levels can vary. The switch to digital television in 2009 made the problem worse because the higher fidelity sound made the commercials seem even louder, industry officials said.

Sound metering equipment long used by broadcasters was not sensitive enough to discern fluctuations in volume.

“The old type of meter measured volts. They were just looking for technical indications of loudness, and those indications did not always relate to human perception,” Thomas Lund, a development manager of Denmark's TC Electronic, said in a telephone interview. “Levels and loudness are not always the same.”

For example, high levels of sound for sustained periods come across to the ear as louder than for short duration. The old meters, Lund said, did not measure that dimension of sound.

“The people who were creating the commercials learned how to exploit the meters and fly below the radar,” Lund said. The result: blaring ads.

The CALM legislation marked an unusual case study of bipartisan support in Washington. Rep. Eshoo introduced a one-page bill called the CALM Act in the House in June 2008. Two years later, a companion bill authored by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.)unanimously passed the Senate.

In December 2010, the House passed the legislation and President Obama signed the bill into law on Dec. 15, 2010. The Federal Communications Commission adopted its rules implementing the law a year ago, and provided a yearlong grace period so that stations could install the new equipment.

Viewers can report super-loud commercials to the FCC on the agency's website or by calling 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-225-5322).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Moira: Thank you very much for that information regarding super loud commercials at the bottom of your post here ... Why? ... I'm hard of hearing and legally deaf. It is a god-send for me.