Downton Abbey

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Downton Abbey

Post by mrsl »

I'm sorry, I must have misspelled something when I searched because there are a lot of references to Downton Abbey, but it's so good, I figure we might talk about it some more. Thank goodness PBS ran the whole first and second seasons two weeks ago (between early a.m. and far into Monday a.m). I was glued to my T.V. and watched every episode even the ones I had already seen because, like my favorite classic movies, there is always something you missed the first or second time around. I am seriously chomping at the bit waiting for the third season, especially with Shirley MacLaine coming in as Cora's mother. Lord love a duck, the thought of her and Maggie Smith locking horns is super fun to anticipate.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by movieman1957 »

Season 3 starts on Jan. 6. I would still have to watch the last couple of episodes of season 2 to catch up. The Bride and The Princess will likely be on me to get it finished by then.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We've been talking about it on and off on the BBC suggestions thread. I've seen the 3rd series and an dying to dissect it with you all and the Xmas special. I can't wait until you've all watching it again. It deserves a thread of it's own.

I still have firm favourites from characters over the series, Cora, Violet and Sybil, in comparison the Earl seems to flounder around but will things change with the 3rd series?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

My favorite characters are Mary and Bates. I also love Elizabeth McGovern as Cora but I wish she would speak a little louder, sometimes I just don't hear what she's saying. I know it's not my hearing because everyone else comes through just fine.
Anne

charliechaplinfan

She is very quietly spoken and very calm which is why I think I like her so much but I can see that following her would be a problem for some people.

I think I've said before that I've never found the Bates and Anna romance a comfortable one, I can't put my finger on it but I think it's because they seem too good natured to be true.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

If only they would give Elizabeth McGovern something more than a walk-on part. She is totally wasted.
I only became aware of her when she costarred in The Scarlet Pimpernel with Richard E.Grant.
charliechaplinfan

Yes, I'd love to see her in something else too. She's meant to sing in a rock band too.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I really like Mary because she is such a tough cookie but sometimes she really makes me angry, because she can give the impression of being snooty yet she's actually just logical and looks at things in a logical manner. Bates, although not physically attractive to me, is still a romantic character for some reason. He's often a sympathetic guy, but he can be hard nosed too, as he showed that rotten Thomas when he pushed him up against the wall. Poor Anna is so in love she doesn't know whether to scratch her watch or wind her butt. Her loyalty to Bates is remarkable. I think she would have gone to prison for him if she could have.
Anne

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Amazingly Elizabeth McGovern can be seen in person in various English venues as part of a band called SADIE AND THE HOTHEADS!
Elizabeth is a singer/ songwriter as well as an actress.
charliechaplinfan

Although American I think she's very settled here, I would love too see her on our screens more. Hugh Bonneville has managed to be in two other Christmas progammes so far. She's an underused actress that's for sure.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Today is the day! I can't wait.

I just found this on my shopping website this morning as everyone is trying to take advantage of Downton fever.

scroll down to find items to buy inspired by Downton Abbey:

https://www.onekingslane.com/
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been paying too much attention to the advertisements, which became ubiquitous this week.

I'm just crossing my fingers that Bates gets sprung!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't think he's suffered enough.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jack:

You've got to be kidding!!! Wounded in war - walks with a limp and needs a cane - Lord knows what kind of misery he went through married to that harridan who didn't want him herself, but didn't want anyone else to have him and make him happy - now he's gone through months of more misery unable to prove he didn't kill her, even though she deserved it. Geez!!! How much more suffering do you want???

I'm counting the hours until 8:00 p.m.

P.S. I'm glad Matthew and Mary are finally getting together.
Anne

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sorry Anne, I was just kidding. :D

Best line tonight: "I'm so sorry. I thought you were a waiter."