Other British programming

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Re: Other British programming

Post by mrsl »

Being properly broken hearted over my Bears losing to those low down packers, I'm so glad PBS Channel 11 decided to run the Christmas special of Call the Midwife tonight. This show is off the air right now, but will return in the spring and I recommend that any of you who, like me still like your family television with absolutely A list writing, directing, and acting, look for it in the PBS lineup. In fact, this was the first time the channel ran the show, so they may run it again in the next couple of weeks, so you might want to check it out. It's always on a weekend night (Saturday or Sunday), but they move their programming around so much, you never can tell.

To those of you who did see it, weren't you afraid that Sister Benedict was going to return to the convent when she went in and started singing? As it turned out, the whole imagery of the wedding was marvelous. She looked so lovely but best of all was the song that was played and sung - it put a special stamp on the whole scene, didn't it?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I've noticed that Call the Midwife is available on Netflix streaming, which we have. I'll have to check it out!

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

sandykaypax wrote:I've noticed that Call the Midwife is available on Netflix streaming, which we have. I'll have to check it out!

Sandy K
I think you'll enjoy it, Sandy. The characters and atmosphere of the period are very well developed.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I watched Calendar Girls this morning from 2003 about 12 middle aged ladies from a small English village who posed nude for a calendar for a charity project. I don't know why I've avoided it all this time, especially since I like Helen Mirren who is one of the stars but it turned out to be a pretty good movie. It was funny in many parts, and dramatic in others, yet it all gelled together quite well. The fun part for me however, was in recognizing several people I know from the many British programs and movies I've been watching lately on PBS. Lady Isobel Crawley from Downton Abbey was there, and Queenie from Lark Rise to Candleford, and Elizabeth from Keeping Up Appearances as well as many others from Doc Martin, Poirot, and Miss Marple.

Oddly, only one husband out of the 12 took offense at his wife for doing the project, but since she was not happy with him, and visited him and his mistress during their dinner, all turned out well for her.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************