Me-TV

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Me-TV

Post by moira finnie »

Since we have written quite a bit about Me-TV programming on this message board, thought it might interest others to know that there is a blogathon about Me-TV classic shows sponsored by The Classic TV Blog Association below:

http://classic-tv-blog-assoc.blogspot.jp/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Re: Me-TV

Post by RedRiver »

Excellent. Thank you, Moira. I watch this wonderful channel all the time!
markfp

Post by markfp »

Keep in mind that every station that carries ME-TV doesn't necessarily carry all of it. Here in my city, the station repeats newscasts and locally produced talk shows from its primary channel for about 8 hours of the day and night so some of the shows on ME-TV aren't seen. Still, I suppose 16 hours a day is better than nothing.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Mark, I had to laugh at "16 hours a day"...from an ol' gal who remembers watching a test pattern for 15 minutes until Howdy Doody came on at 4pm, then my parents shooing us off to bed at 8, so they could watch 'adult' programs until 9:45, 15 minutes of news, with the Star Spangled Banner ending the telecasts promptly at 10pm. I also remember Mom asking Pop if they should stand up when the music started...he seriously thought about it for a couple of minutes, then decided it would be ok to sit..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
markfp

Post by markfp »

I know it ages me, but I remember those days too. When I was really little we had one channel and it came on at either 3 or 4 o'clock and signed off at 10pm. What a thrill it was when they started going on at noon during the week and "a the crack of dawn" on weekends...well okay, it was really 9am but it seemed like dawn.

Eventually, two UHF stations came on and everybody started signing at 7am and running until midnight and how excited I was when one of the stations started running, not one, but two late night movies on Saturday night. As I got older my parents would let me try to stay up for the movies, but I don't think I ever stayed awake for the second one and was usually lucky if I got through the first one. But that's okay, that's all part of what got me hooked on films.

When I tell my grandkids about it, they can't understand how we could get along without TV 24/7 and only three channels. :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

An opportunity to see a good movie was a special occasion. We planned our day around it! The more we gain, the more we give up.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Mark, one summer, my Mom and I planned our days around movies on tv. My dad was traveling during the week, my brothers were married, so it was just the two of us at home. The first movie started at 10 am, and this particular station ran movies until sign off! we would rush around doing housework during the NUMEROUS commercials. :lol: :roll: :lol:

One of my best memories of my Mom..
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

There was a discussion on NPR last night that drifted into contemporary TV and the availability of streaming, time-shifting and DVD-sets. The plus: greater availability and whenever one wants it. The minus: loss of anticipation, community and next day water cooler talk (see above).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Absolutely, Chio. Sometimes I miss those days.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I know what you mean about the shared commonality of past viewing, but hey, people who are literally from all over the world share our spot at the virtual water cooler now. Having worked with people who literally used to say to my face when I brought up something from an older film or mentioned something I'd read, "Gee, you talk like something out of a book," and "You like all that crusty old black and white stuff, huh?," I'll gladly settle for today's roundabout way of exchanging takes on our various viewing experiences. Besides, I learn about stuff from you guys I've never heard of all the time.

At least we know we are not the only weirdos on the planet who like classic films. I think?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Lovely Moira, if you are a weirdo...can I join your club??? :lol: :lol: . I get the same rolled eyes look when I talk about old movies, and now that I am gray....well, the younger they are, they higher they shrug their shoulders, shake their heads, and wander away muttering "poor old thing". :lol:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I confess that I am an addict of this channel! I've even begun watching m*a*s*h, a thing i never thought would happen, lol.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Miss G., I find myself looking forward to Sunday Night Noir on Me-TV, esp. The Fugitive, Naked City and Route 66. My other fave is Sgt. Bilko, which is also late at night on there.

I am glad to see that they are bringing The Untouchables and The Twilight Zone back this Fall (esp. since Night Gallery was so often so awful--poor Rod Serling!). Most exciting is the chance to see F Troop again. Haven't clapped eyes on Sgt. O'Rourke (Forrest Tucker) and Cpl Agarn (Larry Storch) in decades--not to mention the glorious members of The Hekawi tribe (my favorites were "Roaring Chicken" played by Edward Everett Horton & "Crazy Cat"). It was all very un-politically correct, of course. But I am hoping it still strikes me funny in a Bilkoesque way.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Moira,
Sunday Night Noir is probably my favorite, too, especially as they are all shows that I am relatively unfamiliar with. I agree about "Night Gallery", it was all shock-schlock and none of the clever, thoughtful ideas that often fueled Serling's earlier triumph. The only bad thing is that I seldom get to watch "Sunday Night Noir" since I have to wake up early on Mondays. :(

I watched a few of "The Millionaire" episodes last Sunday and wish now it could be on regularly; I really liked them!

It's been a long time since I saw "F Troop" or "Gilligan's Island", I'm not sure how I'll like them at this point. I loved G.I. as a kid, especially to see Ginger's wardrobe, lol. I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Bilko or maybe just one---is it Phil Silvers?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I record most of the Sunday Night Noir shows since I rarely am awake enough at 3am to see some of them. Most of the shows are ones that I've never seen either. Bilko is driven by the verve of Phil Silvers and the delightfully anarchic humor of creator Nat Hiken. Maybe it helps to have been exposed to Sgt. Bilko at an early age (it used to air in repeats all the time on broadcast tv), but I've always loved Silvers, delighted by Paul Ford's befuddled C.O., and still nurse a crush on one of Bilko's henchmen, Harvey Lembeck (not sure why, just do).

I can't say that I'm enamored of Gilligan's Island, but will probably check it out for Jim Backus & Natalie Schafer.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks